White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM
WSI Guru

This and That:

Dump, personally I don't care for EE myself but as you suggest his ideas were brilliant especially connected with the TV aspect. SportsVision was ahead of its time but failed because of the economy, the newness of the idea and because as you said Chicago was the wrong market (two team town) to try it.

EE was part of the effort to move to Florida in large part because of the TV revenue that would have been generated by such a move. According to Helyar in his book, "The Lords of the Realm," the Sox without selling a single ticket had they moved to Florida would have been the second most profitable team in MLB just because of the TV deal they could have had. Again as a Sox fan, I hated that idea but I have to give EE credit, he knew TV money was going to drive the sport and as history has shown it is, just ask the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Rangers and Dodgers.

King, as I talked about in my two part history of the Sox and the media since the 1950's, being in first place for three months after a losing season the year before and without even having back to back winning seasons since 05-06 is not the way to get skeptical fans to come out. Winning means, as other have said, a legit contender for the playoffs, not only by winning a crappy diivsion with 85 wins or so, but a legit contender for the pennant. And having that opinion for a few years in a row.

Brian, he did and then for some reason he stopped the approach. Don't know why as the fans loved the two campaigns (us vs. them, grinder rules). Was it his call or was he overruled by someone higher up in the organization?

Lip
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
This and That:

Dump, personally I don't care for EE myself but as you suggest his ideas were brilliant especially connected with the TV aspect. SportsVision was ahead of its time but failed because of the economy, the newness of the idea and because as you said Chicago was the wrong market (two team town) to try it.

EE was part of the effort to move to Florida in large part because of the TV revenue that would have been generated by such a move. According to Helyar in his book, "The Lords of the Realm," the Sox without selling a single ticket had they moved to Florida would have been the second most profitable team in MLB just because of the TV deal they could have had. Again as a Sox fan, I hated that idea but I have to give EE credit, he knew TV money was going to drive the sport and as history has shown it is, just ask the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Rangers and Dodgers.

King, as I talked about in my two part history of the Sox and the media since the 1950's, being in first place for three months after a losing season the year before and without even having back to back winning seasons since 05-06 is not the way to get skeptical fans to come out. Winning means, as other have said, a legit contender for the playoffs, not only by winning a crappy diivsion with 85 wins or so, but a legit contender for the pennant. And having that opinion for a few years in a row.

Brian, he did and then for some reason he stopped the approach. Don't know why as the fans loved the two campaigns (us vs. them, grinder rules). Was it his call or was he overruled by someone higher up in the organization?

Lip
Amen.

After 25 years of moves that shrunk this team's fan base (moving to premium pay TV, bad initial design of "New Comiskey", the white flag trade), the Sox finally got the huge shot in the arm they needed with the 2005 WS win.

The problem is they didn't sustain that success. I don't think it would have necessarily have required another WS, but no back to back winning seasons since in the last six years and no back to back post season appearances ever is not good enough. Look at the Angels - they still have their one and only WS win in 2002, but they have been legitimate playoff contenders most years since then.

Like you said, you can't just get hot for 3 months after an awful year and expect to suddenly have a packed house. I know the Sox fan bashers on this site like to think otherwise, but they're just ignoring reality.

As far as the "game experience" topic goes, I loved that "pirates of the Caribbean" intro video, but it really says something when fans feel like that's one of the highlights of going to the game. The Sox, in their survey obsession, should be hearing this from the fans that they should be ashamed of themselves that the product on the field has been so uninspiring over the last 5 years that fans are so passionate about the freaking intro video.

.....that being said, the fact that they felt like they had to mess with the popular intro video really says something about the problems with the Sox marketing department.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

We can all talk in circles until we're blue in the face, but what this really comes down to is attracting the casual fan. The Sox dropped the ball on that 20 years ago when they decided to rebuild the park in Bridgeport and not the South Loop or Near West Side. They should have marketed against the Cubs by promoting night games vs day games in a modern ballpark with the skyline as the back drop. They could have tied it in the success of the Bulls and Blackhawks (present).

The only place to go from here is to market the team to families based on affordability vs. other forms of entertainment. That will probably only help marginally. Hell, build a water park in one of the parking lots. That will get the kids back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
We can all talk in circles until we're blue in the face, but what this really comes down to is attracting the casual fan. The Sox dropped the ball on that 20 years ago when they decided to rebuild the park in Bridgeport and not the South Loop or Near West Side.
Amen. Location of park v. Wrigley was horrible idea given the lack of neighborhood entertainment and the perception that the neighborhood sucks.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-04-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Look how fast the Blackhawks went from complete irrelevance to fan favorite. The city responds to winning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
For those who posit that if the White Sox win people will fill the place, I respectfully ask for an explanation of last September's attendance while the White Sox were in first place. That stretch of games showed me something is very wrong in White Sox Country. People didn't show up.
As I think someone already mentioned, when we say that winning draws, we're not talking about a team that unexpectedly contends for 5 months, collapses down the stretch, does nothing in the offseason, and predictably stumbles out of the gate the next year, thus fulfilling the prognostications of most experts. We're talking about a team that makes the playoffs 5+ years in a row, to the point where it's considered a foregone conclusion by everyone that they will be in contention. Every year we go through the same thing-- "no one's picking the Sox, but if this and this and this and this all go right, they could surprise some people". No. People will start showing up (this especially applies to April and May) consistently when the conversation in February is consistently about "Who's the Sox' biggest challenger for the division crown this year?"
Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I would like to know when the last time anyone affiliated with the Sox actually said this, or anything to that effect, because I think the answer is going to come back in the 25+ year range
Didn't JR say something about being "Chicago's American League team" when he accepted the WS trophy? I guess it has been awhile though.

I'm afraid the Sox have blown a golden opportunity to increase their market share in Chicago. Everyone knew the Cubs would be terrible for at least several years starting in 2012. The Sox should have been aggressive about assembling a playoff-level team during this time period and capturing the baseball interest in the area.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I'm afraid the Sox have blown a golden opportunity to increase their market share in Chicago. Everyone knew the Cubs would be terrible for at least several years starting in 2012. The Sox should have been aggressive about assembling a playoff-level team during this time period and capturing the baseball interest in the area.
If the Sox are profitable with the market share that they have, why would they become less profitable to increase market share? I have to think that JR has the franchise in the place where he's satisfied.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
If the Sox are profitable with the market share that they have, why would they become less profitable to increase market share? I have to think that JR has the franchise in the place where he's satisfied.
He could spend more money now in the hopes it will pay off in the future due to a larger fan base. Of course JR is 77 so he might not be interested in sacrificing short term profit for potential long term gains. I think your last sentence probably nails it.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
He could spend more money now in the hopes it will pay off in the future due to a larger fan base. Of course JR is 77 so he might not be interested in sacrificing short term profit for potential long term gains. I think your last sentence probably nails it.
You are right. Fielder's last sentence does nail it. From appearances, the organization does not seem to worry about the losing. It is great for the investors if they make money; not so hot for the fans who are stuck watching a bad team.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM
WSI Prelate

My friend went to the game last night. He had a bad time because the Sox played like ****. End of complaints.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Decided to post this here rather than start a new thread about it.

While walking down the ramp after the game tonight, I saw the giant pictures from the '05 World Series with appropriate captions. One part about it upset me. Apparently, in the caption describing Konerko's grand slam, somebody either wrote or carved a certain slur that rhymes with "rag" next to our captain's name.

Does any team employee even know about this? Vandalism of this kind should not be tolerated at the ballpark. Okay, if it was a playground restroom or highway tunnel in the city, it wouldn't phase me as much because you expect that stuff there. At a Major League park though? And on a piece that celebrates a proud moment for this franchise? Absolutely baffling. Kids can see that too. I don't know or care who decided to be a junior high student, but can this please be fixed? People really should not have to see that.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post

While walking down the ramp after the game tonight, I saw the giant pictures from the '05 World Series with appropriate captions. One part about it upset me. Apparently, in the caption describing Konerko's grand slam, somebody either wrote or carved a certain slur that rhymes with "rag" next to our captain's name.

Does any team employee even know about this? Vandalism of this kind should not be tolerated at the ballpark. Okay, if it was a playground restroom or highway tunnel in the city, it wouldn't phase me as much because you expect that stuff there. At a Major League park though? And on a piece that celebrates a proud moment for this franchise? Absolutely baffling. Kids can see that too. I don't know or care who decided to be a junior high student, but can this please be fixed? People really should not have to see that.
The ramps after games are essentially a free for all with zero enforcement of anything. But god forbid if you try to carry the beer you bought out of the park.

I'd be willing to bet if you got a hold of the Sox regarding this they'd actually do something. See if you can somehow pin it on Adam Dunn. Maybe if he gets caught graffito tagging things he'll get moved down in the order.

Last edited by amsteel; 05-12-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post

Did you tell anyone? I'm sure if you let someone know they would take care of it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
Did you tell anyone? I'm sure if you let someone know they would take care of it.
Keep in mind- this is the org that kept washed out pinwheels, etc. on the 300 level for 10 years following the 2003 All Star game-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

At Sunday's game, I paid $17 for a sandwich and beer and took them to my seat for the start of the game. It turned out the sandwich was dry. It did not have the mustard or mayo that I requested on my order sheet.

Late in the game I bought nachos. The nachos were stale.

Typical.