White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Considering the White Sox track record developing draft picks, why, unless you want something to complain about for the next 10-15 years, would anyone want them to go into a total rebuild? Do people really want to see guys in Chicago that are having a tough time playing in Charlotte and Birmingham?
Yes. I can't stand watching the same, going through the motion product on the field anymore. I know they're trying and playing all out, but sometimes it really doesn't look like it. I could at least get excited about some young guys playing with energy and passion. Something we haven't seen in years. How much worse would we be? Our pitching is the ONLY thing winning/keeping us in games. A random guy in A ball could hit as well as Dunn and a few others our team. It's a joke. Keep the staff intact, everyone else is available.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Actually, I feel good about the state of our pitching.

Fixing the hitting requires drafting, signing and developing better position players.
You do? How much can you depend on Danks, Peavy and Floyd? I know there has been a lot of chippiness lately so I'm just asking and not trying to start a you don't what you're talking about type of argument.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

To all who think the Sox will be able to help the rebuilding process through trading a bunch of mediocre players, consider the list of guys they've received in the last decade or so when trying to trade established players for prospects or young guys (with the guys they traded in parentheses):
  • Corey Lee (Herbert Perry trade)
  • Ryan Meaux and Felix Diaz (Kenny Lofton)
  • Byeong Hak An and Frank Francisco (Bob Howry)
  • Neal Cotts and Daylon Holt with Billy Koch (Keith Foulke, Mark Johnson, Joe Valentine)
  • Travis Hinton with Podsednik and Vizcaino (Carlos Lee)
  • Carlos Vasquez and David Aardsma (Neal Cotts)
  • Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez (Freddy Garcia)
  • Andy Sisco (Ross Gload)
  • Jacob Rasner, John Danks, Nick Massett (Brandon McCarthy and David Paisano)
  • Michael Dubee (Tadahito Iguchi)
  • Jon Link (Rob Mackowiak)
  • Wilson Betemit, Jeff Marquez, Jhonny Nunez (Nick Swisher and Kanekoa Texeira)
  • Jon Gilmore, Santos Rodriguez, Tyler Flowers, Brent Lillibridge (Javy Vazquez, Boone Logan)
  • Justin Fuller (Jim Thome)
  • Brandon Hynick (Jose Contreras)
  • Kyle Cofield (Scott Linebrink)
  • Jason Frasor, Zach Stewart (Edwin Jackson and Mark Teahen)
  • Jhan Marinez, Osvaldo Martinez (Ozzie Guillen)
  • Nestor Molina (Sergio Santos)
  • Simon Castro, Pedro Hernandez (Carlos Quentin)
  • Daniel Webb, Myles Jaye (Jason Frasor)

I put guys who were not yet established big-leaguers and have contributed something sort of positive in bold.

So, all those trades basically got us Floyd, Danks, Flowers, a year of Cotts, and a little flash of Lillibridge plus some Griffey Jr. (via Nick Massett). That's not much to build around.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Actually, I feel good about the state of our pitching.

Fixing the hitting requires drafting, signing and developing better position players.

How long will this way of fixing the hitting take? 4-5 years if they draft the right players, develop them correctly and of course get lucky. Wheres their pitching going to be at that point?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
What other choice is there but the nuclear option with the upcoming FAs? Pick up their options?
The other choice is to do nothing. Play out the season and regroup in the winter.

You can trade veteran relievers with expiring contracts, sure, but you're not going to get anything other than a couple months of salary relief and maybe an organizational player or two.

I hate to say it, but nobody is going to give up a big prospect to have Crain, Lindstrom or Thornton on their team for a couple months.

Also, somebody has to take those roster spots at the big-league level in the short run. Do the Sox have any prospects at all who are prepared for an opportunity? I'm not sure. I don't want to rush kids who aren't ready just for the sake of saving a couple months salary on a couple guys.

It isn't like holding on to veterans is going to hurt this team's draft position. They are going to lose plenty of games regardless.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
So, all those trades basically got us Floyd, Danks, Flowers, a year of Cotts, and a little flash of Lillibridge plus some Griffey Jr. (via Nick Massett). That's not much to build around.
Don't forget a few months of Kevin Youkilis (via Zach Stewart).

Thanks, by the way, for putting that list together. It really made my day. I will now go jump off the Wells Street bridge with a half-dozen bricks strapped to my chest.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 PM
WSI High Priest

So, the Sox get nada for their vets and give up their best bullets for overpriced vets?
Sounds about right. If Kenny Williams didn't catch lightning in a bottle that one year, he would be pelted with old produce every time he set foot out of his house.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI High Priest

We're old.

We're over priced (Dunn, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Thornton).

We have back ups as starters (De Aza, Flowers, Koeppinger)

We have almost nothing of value at AAA or AA.

It's not much better at the lower levels.

Our manager declined an extension offer.

If we were to "rebuild" we'd be building around Viciedo, Beckham and Gillaspie- not much else.

This will be our 5th consecutive season, 7th out of the last 8, 11th out of the last 13, without getting to the post season.

We lost our pre-game montage video and the diamond patch on the shoulder.

Looks like the late 70's, 80's, 90's- all over again.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
We're old.

We're over priced (Dunn, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Thornton).

We have back ups as starters (De Aza, Flowers, Koeppinger)

We have almost nothing of value at AAA or AA.

It's not much better at the lower levels.

Our manager declined an extension offer.

If we were to "rebuild" we'd be building around Viciedo, Beckham and Gillaspie- not much else.

This will be our 5th consecutive season, 7th out of the last 8, 11th out of the last 13, without getting to the post season.

We lost our pre-game montage video and the diamond patch on the shoulder.

Looks like the late 70's, 80's, 90's- all over again.
I wish I could take some issue with this but I can't. Ouch.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr View Post
So, the Sox get nada for their vets and give up their best bullets for overpriced vets?
Sounds about right. If Kenny Williams didn't catch lightning in a bottle that one year, he would be pelted with old produce every time he set foot out of his house.
Kenny did much better work when he only had 50 cents to spend, than he did when he had the whole dollar.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Kenny did much better work when he only had 50 cents to spend, than he did when he had the whole dollar.
Maybe he was allowed to spend his 50cents without getting permission how to spend it. When he gets a buck, hes told how to spend it.