White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Santiago was no slouch either.
That is absolutely right. I have long thought that Santiago has great upside as a starter and that the Sox should give him that opportunity. When Danks comes back, I sure hope the Sox are open to having 4 lefties in the rotation because Santiago should keep starting. And Axelrod would make a decent long man in the bullpen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
What more else is there to say except this is the worst hitting Sox team since I became a fan in the early 50s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Like I said these clowns make the 67 Sox look like the 27 Yankees hitting wise.

Lip
Are these Sox really worse offensively than the late '60's Sox? Those were some of the worst offensive teams in the history of the franchise. But maybe they are. I have to admit that the Sox offense right now is really, really bad. Viciedo coming back will help but the Sox really have to address the problem of having Dunn and Flowers in the lineup hitting less than .200, particularly when Konerko is starting to slow down and De Aza and Keppinger are having off years offensively, so far.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Was/Is Konerko hurt? He didn't start or pinch hit tonight. I can't believe Konerko is being benched in favor of a guy hitting 1:20. I realize this is a money thing with Adam Done. If he was a rookie or even making a salary of $2 million dollars a year, he would be off this team by now. But still, to bench your team Captain for Done is beyond belief.
Konerko's been having some back problems, I believe, so his time in the field is limited. I'm sure if we were playing by AL rules he'd have been the DH.

That said, it's not like Konerko's been lighting the world on fire, either. .225/.279/.378 isn't exactly a bat you need to find room for no matter what.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
WSI Personality

Pitching is very important and the White Sox have assembled a good staff even though injuries have affected it so far. But they went into this season with a fragile offense and no back-up plan. Offensively the 40 man roster had a shaky starting 8 and very limited back-up options. Certainly Flowers was questionable and they back-ep him up w probably a worse offensive option. Since there are 3 outfield positions, the 4th outfielder is a vital roster spot---hence they chose Wise. Gillaspie has been a good option so far and probably is better than Beckham offensively. Then you go to the 40 man and guys like Greene, Tekotte, Wells are all questionable ML prospects.
they went into this season with very few roster spots where there was any competition for playing time.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
What more else is there to say except this is the worst hitting Sox team since I became a fan in the early 50s.
Same here except I remember Luke Appling playing at the end of his career.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Are these Sox really worse offensively than the late '60's Sox? Those were some of the worst offensive teams in the history of the franchise. But maybe they are. I have to admit that the Sox offense right now is really, really bad. Viciedo coming back will help but the Sox really have to address the problem of having Dunn and Flowers in the lineup hitting less than .200, particularly when Konerko is starting to slow down and De Aza and Keppinger are having off years offensively, so far.
Viciedo was hitting .229, and is still first on the team in K% (30+ AB), at 33.3% (Dunn is 33.1%), so he's not going to come in and save our offense, lets get real.

We need a few professional hitters on this team, and it seems that only Rios qualifies at this point, and that's when he feels like it.

What's worse is we're pretty much stuck with these guys, with Floyd out for the season +, Danks on rehab, Peavy nursing the back, Konerko's slump and Rios being our only relaible bat, who can we really deal for a good young hitter? Everyone would want Sale, and he's the guy we can least afford to deal.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 AM
WSI Regular

Viciedo played in AAA last night in Columbus. . . went 0-6 in the doubleheader with 2 K, made a 2-base error in game 2 that cost Charlotte the 1-0 lead.

Danks pitched game 1 and was OK. . .a bit wild, didn't get the decision.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Wow, that's tough--I started watching in the early '60s and those teams' hitting was pathetic. That said, I think the mid-60s Sox teams were better hitters in the clutch and existed within a context of the dominant pitching in that era so didn't look as bad in comparison to their competition. You may be right....
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Biggest clown moment, which nobody has mentioned, was when Hector wasn't on deck for his at bat and the game was delayed. That's Little League stuff. I know most of the team has checked out, but are Ventura and Parent sleeping in the dugout now? How does that happen? That's almost Bevington-esque.
Here it is:

http://deadspin.com/white-sox-pitche...ium=socialflow
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Viciedo was hitting .229, and is still first on the team in K% (30+ AB), at 33.3% (Dunn is 33.1%), so he's not going to come in and save our offense, lets get real.
Didn't say Viciedo would save the offense. I just said that he would help and I can't see how he wouldn't help this mess. And with the weather warming up, I think Viciedo will hit a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
What's worse is we're pretty much stuck with these guys, with Floyd out for the season +, Danks on rehab, Peavy nursing the back, Konerko's slump and Rios being our only relaible bat, who can we really deal for a good young hitter? Everyone would want Sale, and he's the guy we can least afford to deal.
I don't see the Sox dealing Sale or any of their other young pitchers such as Reed, Quintana, Santiago or Danks. The Sox will ride this out, I imagine. And if things don't improve by mid-year, the Sox will try to improve in the draft, make some deadline deals moving veterans such as Konerko and make moves in the offseason. The Sox may also call up some youngsters such as Josh Phegley and Erik Johnson later in the year.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Didn't say Viciedo would save the offense. I just said that he would help and I can't see how he wouldn't help this mess. And with the weather warming up, I think Viciedo will hit a little better.

So if Viciedo hits better with the weather warming up, I would assume so will our opponents.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI Guru

This and That:

Gonzo told me Santiago was in the clubhouse and just lost track of the game. Why someone on the bench didn't pick up on the fact that he wasn't in the dugout I have no idea.

The Sox teams of the mid 60's were well schooled in the fundamentals. Both Lopez and Stanky demanded it. If you couldn't execute a bunt, move a runner over or didn't get a guy home from 3rd with less than two outs you didn't play, period. In fact Stanky would fine guys for not doing those things (and to be fair he'd reward guys with things like a new pair of shoes for stolen bases things like that)

The Sox had the best pitching staffs in the league (maybe in baseball) from 63 through 67, and that was a large part of their success but they had to have some hitting. At least those guys got it done enough to average 92 wins a season in that time period.

These guys? No ****ing way.

Sox have now scored three runs or less in 52% of their games so far this year.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 05-08-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
This and That:

Gonzo told me Santiago was in the clubhouse and just lost track of the game. Why someone on the bench didn't pick up on the fact that he wasn't in the dugout I have no idea.

The Sox teams of the mid 60's were well schooled in the fundamentals. Both Lopez and Stanky demanded it. If you couldn't execute a bunt, move a runner over or didn't get a guy home from 3rd with less than two outs you didn't play, period. In fact Stanky would fine guys for not doing those things (and to be fair he'd reward guys with things like a new pair of shoes for stolen bases things like that)

The Sox had the best pitching staffs in the league (maybe in baseball) from 63 through 67, and that was a large part of their success but they had to have some hitting. At least those guys got it done enough to average 92 wins a season in that time period.

These guys? No ****ing way.

Sox have now scored three runs or less in 52% of their games so far this year.

Lip
Which is one reason why I have no confidence in a rebuild actually working. The players just aren't brought up with good knowledge for how to play. Clayton Richard bashed the coaching after he left and he might have a point.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
WSI Guru

Sox Speed:

Never knew that...what did he say?

Lip
Old 05-08-2013, 01:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Yes they are. The DH did not exist in the 60's. This team is pathetic when it comes to hitting.
At least there aren't any more threads about firing Walker.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Konerko's been having some back problems, I believe, so his time in the field is limited. I'm sure if we were playing by AL rules he'd have been the DH.

That said, it's not like Konerko's been lighting the world on fire, either. .225/.279/.378 isn't exactly a bat you need to find room for no matter what.
True, but even with those subpar numbers, Konerko is no worse than the fourth-best hitter in the everyday lineup.

For most clubs, a player with that slash line would be among the weaker hitters on the team. For this club, it's about the mean.

Sad days.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/