White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Watched this game in person and it was just a death march after we coughed up the go ahead run. Down only 1 run, there was no energy in the ballpark for the remainder of the game despite 28k in the house on a frigid night. It seemed like we were down 8 runs. Can't get excited when there is nothing to cheer about. The Sox are just so unexciting to watch right now. Hard to fathom so many slumping guys can be in one lineup. The comedy of defensive errors is embarassing.

Dunn was extra pitiful tonight. Not sure what Sox management must be thinking behind the scenes with each K and mounting boos from the crowd. Keppinger has been almost as pathetic minus the Ks. Zero walks, 6 RBI, .185 ish avg and zero HRs for our offseason free agent signing.

Also, you have to admire the bad luck this team has going to compliment the ineptitude.Gillespie was a late scratch tonight with a respiratory infection. He is one of two hitters on the Sox batting close to .300 that gives quality at bats and of course he is sick.

One positive besides the pitching is that Tank looked good again tonight. Couple of hits, another walk, and he is working counts deeper. This team desperately needs him to take the next step.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-12-2013, 01:51 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
During Dunn's final at-bat, before the last pitch was even released, I said "Strike 3, you're out." He didn't disappoint. God, I hate that he has to be this kind of player. Easily one of the worst contracts in White Sox history.
CSG, tebman, son of tebman and I were trying to predict how many pitches it would take Dunn to strike out during each of his plate appearances. "3" was the winning number on two occasions, including the ninth.

You have to joke about the lousiness of this team to keep from crying.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-12-2013, 07:01 AM
WSI High Priest

That throw from Greene killed us, game should still be going on.
It was very lackadaisical. We need Beckham back ASAP.
I can't believe what a bad defensive team this is right now.

Adam Dunn if he was any kind of a man would either retire or give back at least half the money on his contract, man is a disgrace.
He deserved all the boos he heard last night.

Hate to say it but Paulie might be just about finished.

The Tank hit the ball hard last night, might be time to groom him for first base.

Flowers was going to be this great defensive catcher, not happening. I thought with regular playing time he would become a decent hitter, not going to happen. Another Sox minor league product flopping.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-12-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 AM
WSI Personality

I caught a foul ball....that's the only positive i can come up with. This team pains me.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72 View Post
During tonight's telecast, they mentioned that the Sox now lead the league in passed balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
After the passed ball cost the Sox the go-ahead run tonight, I came up with a great idea for a promotion: Tyler Flowers Bobblehands Doll Night. Maybe I'll email Brooks.

Flowers is Chris Snopek in catcher's gear. This reminds me of 1998 when the organization tried to dupe us fans into believing Snopek would be an adequate replacement for Robin Ventura. Nonsense. Now, the organization is trying to tell us Flowers is an adequate replacement for A.J. Pierzynski. Nonsense. Flowers is a marginal player, a career backup at best. He does not excel in any aspect of the game. End of story. He's only getting an opportunity because he's cheap and happened to be hanging around. He's done nothing to earn an everyday job.

It's time for Robin to make some changes. Start with dropping Dunn down in the batting order. I know they won't bench him, but can we at least reduce the number of ABs he gets by batting him eighth? Move Tank up. He can swing the bat.

When Beckham comes back, Keppinger plays 3B against left-handed pitching only. Otherwise, he rides the pine. I know Beckham isn't a good hitter, but look at how badly the infield defense is suffering without him. Keppinger stinks at 2B. Greene had an atrocious night in the field this evening.

And why the hell isn't Konerko playing 1B? I realize neither Konerko nor Dunn have any range, but Paulie is simply a better defender. He doesn't embarrass himself over there around the bag like Dunn does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
That throw from Greene killed us, game should still be going on.
It was very lackadaisical. We need Beckham back ASAP.
I can't believe what a bad defensive team this is right now.

Adam Dunn if he was any kind of a man would either retire or give back at least half the money on his contract, man is a disgrace.
He deserved all the boos he heard last night.

Hate to say it but Paulie might be just about finished.

The Tank hit the ball hard last night, might be time to groom him for first base.

Flowers was going to be this great defensive catcher, not happening. I thought with regular playing time he would become a decent hitter, not going to happen. Another Sox minor league product flopping.
I had a degree of hope for Flowers going into the season. But Flowers can't hit and can't catch, other than that...

IIRC a couple of Flowers passed balls have been very costly too.

This Sox team consistently produces just enough to lose.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Terrible weather the last two nights, and not very good baseball, either.

At least I got to see Mike Trout being awesome?

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I had a degree of hope for Flowers going into the season. But Flowers can't hit and can't catch, other than that...
Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

With the way this season's going, I'm betting that as soon as the hitting gets going, our pitching (the lone bright spot thus far) runs out of gas. On the plus side, I'll have an extra 3 hours a day this summer to, like, clean the garage or something...
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm really disappointed in the defense. I think the Sox need Beckham's D a lot more than most realized. And I wish Robin would play Konerko at first more. Dunn at first isn't helping Dunn or the team. I wonder if Konerko has some medical issue that's keeping him DHing.

When the Sox went down one run last night, I gave up. For me this season is so 2011-ish, except I'm not angry, mostly apathetic. But still hoping they can pull it together and go on a run.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Tribune also has a story tonight when Dunn says that despite the Sox awful play they are "only" five or six games out of first and that things have to get better.

Lip
Obviously Dunn's math skills are as bad as his hitting. The White Sox are 6 games behind the Tigers. If The Sox won 6 straight and the Tigers lost 6th straight they would be tied. But the White Sox would most likely not be tied for first. There are 3 other teams in front of them. So If the Indians or Royals won 6 straight at the same time, the Sox would still be 5 out. With divisional play, this problem becomes more pronounced.
With 4 teams in front of them, all 4-6 games ahead in the loss column, the White Sox are more closer to 10-12 games out of first than 6.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
With the way this season's going, I'm betting that as soon as the hitting gets going, our pitching (the lone bright spot thus far) runs out of gas.
Funny, I had the same thought last night. The starters have been laboring, throwing a lot of pitches, keeping the team in games. I was thinking, the offense almost can't help but get a little better as the season goes on, but I wonder if the pitching staff can hold up when they're constantly asked to keep it close in low scoring games.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
For all you old time White Sox fans that are reading this: Can you just about imagine what Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall would be saying about Adam Done if they were announcing for the White Sox now?
They would be leading the charge with the boo-birds. But considering the whole team performance, I doubt that neither Caray or Piersall would be merciful on anyone.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
. Another Sox minor league product flopping.
He's been with the Sox two or three years right?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Just look at the roster. Greene was cut by the Astros. Wise and his career .268 OBP is signed to be the 4th outfielder and top bench hitter. Keppinger is basically a utility player who has always been weak defensively - ended up the Sox need him as a starter instead of a role player.
Flowers and Tank just haven't pushed out to start producing credible numbers.
As a team, they don't work counts; I tend to think that's a weakness in organizational philosophy and instruction, but it's just a guess as it's been going so long and long-time manager Guillen in his own words had little use for patient approaches.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 AM
WSI Guru

Since last September 19th the Sox are now 18-31 in their last 49 games.

Obviously last year's collapse is still going on.

Honestly as much as I'd like to see Hahn do something, anything to shake things up, turn things around I don't know what he can do.

There's no help in the minor leagues, still a bunch of guys are injured and it's to early to trade even if another team wanted some of the Sox stiffs.

There's also a chance as Noneck believes that even if Hahn could do something he might not be allowed to (which supposedly why he didn't do much of anything this off season...)

It's yet another 'caught between a rock and a hard place' situation the Sox find themselves in, with no clear way out and no clear plan.

And to those wondering about why Konerko isn't playing first base, I thought I saw where he continues to have some back issues.

Lip
Old 05-12-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
He's been with the Sox two or three years right?
You are right, we got him in December of 2008 from Atlanta in the Vasquez trade along with Lilibeast.
Just seems that he should be a product of our farm system, he fits right in.