Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Wise isn't even the worst player on the Sox, let alone the worst player in baseball. I don't know how you can make that statement, unless you have something personal against the guy.

It's pretty easy to see why Danks was optioned. He and Wise are essentially the same player. Danks has options; Wise does not. Easy decision. Every other team in MLB would have done the same thing.
I don't have anything against anybody , Wise is clearly a AAA player who has had his career extended by one team way longer than it should have been. Is there something about .229 and .260 you don't understand? That clearly has to be among the worst numbers of any player that has somehow been kept in the majors as long as he has been .
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
And you know this how?
LOL, the Sox continually rescue him from the scrap heap that's how. Pretty easy to see. Thanks to the complete lack of quality position players in the system we have to watch players like Greene and Wise . I'm not trying to disrespect a guy that is better than almost anyone in the world at his craft, just by virtue of ever having made the majors, but he isn't anyone that will play on a good team at this level.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

A cyber brawl over who should be on the team, Wise or Danks. It just shows the dearth of talent in the Sox organization right now. Relax and have the drink of your choice, it promises to be a long difficult baseball season.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Wise isn't even the worst player on the Sox, let alone the worst player in baseball. I don't know how you can make that statement, unless you have something personal against the guy.

It's pretty easy to see why Danks was optioned. He and Wise are essentially the same player. Danks has options; Wise does not. Easy decision. Every other team in MLB would have done the same thing.
We have Greene, so I guess it's arguable. Maybe wells. Otherwise, he's clearly the worst player on the roster. Danks has less than 300 career at bats.
Most teams wouldn't have this guy on the roster and certainly not as top bench bat. He's a remnant of the Guillen/Williams philosophy in this organization. Options? Yikes.
over 1000 at bats and an OBP under .270. Who, pray tell in MLB is worse? I know it probably doesn't make any difference, but wise has no chance to improve and just gets up there and does exactly what we shouldn't want a hitter to do - swing at everything.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I don't have anything against anybody , Wise is clearly a AAA player who has had his career extended by one team way longer than it should have been. Is there something about .229 and .260 you don't understand? That clearly has to be among the worst numbers of any player that has somehow been kept in the majors as long as he has been .
So is Danks.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
We have Greene, so I guess it's arguable. Maybe wells. Otherwise, he's clearly the worst player on the roster. Danks has less than 300 career at bats.
Most teams wouldn't have this guy on the roster and certainly not as top bench bat. He's a remnant of the Guillen/Williams philosophy in this organization. Options? Yikes.
over 1000 at bats and an OBP under .270. Who, pray tell in MLB is worse? I know it probably doesn't make any difference, but wise has no chance to improve and just gets up there and does exactly what we shouldn't want a hitter to do - swing at everything.
That's an easy one. Corky Miller is worse.

Actually, Casper Wells is worse too. Wise isn't even the worst player on this roster, as I indicated.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
LOL, the Sox continually rescue him from the scrap heap that's how. Pretty easy to see. Thanks to the complete lack of quality position players in the system we have to watch players like Greene and Wise . I'm not trying to disrespect a guy that is better than almost anyone in the world at his craft, just by virtue of ever having made the majors, but he isn't anyone that will play on a good team at this level.
He played on the Yankees last year. And they were disappointed when they had to let him go. He played well for them.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
That's an easy one. Corky Miller is worse.

Actually, Casper Wells is worse too. Wise isn't even the worst player on this roster, as I indicated.
That says more about the Sox than it says about Wise.

Putting longevity and salary aside, the Sox have three position players whose performance would merit a starting job on a few other teams: Rios, Alexei and Gillaspie.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

All we need is Brian Anderson and we have ourselves a party in this here thread.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
WSI Personality

Holy ****. After all the warts this team has are we really bitching about Danks being sent down over Wise getting his release?

REALLY? Sweet Jesus.

It is like arguing the band playing on the deck of the titanic is out of tune while the ship is ****ing sinking.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
Holy ****. After all the warts this team has are we really bitching about Danks being sent down over Wise getting his release?

REALLY? Sweet Jesus.

It is like arguing the band playing on the deck of the titanic is out of tune while the ship is ****ing sinking.
Well, the cellist was really ****ty.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
That says more about the Sox than it says about Wise.

Putting longevity and salary aside, the Sox have three position players whose performance would merit a starting job on a few other teams: Rios, Alexei and Gillaspie.
Probably true, although Konerko would start for other teams based upon reputation and track record. He certainly has not played well this season, however.

The whole Wise/Danks question isn't going to tip the scales one way or the other, and I'm just baffled that some people here believe the organization has done Danks wrong. The guy is just an organizational outfielder, nothing more, nothing less. He'll be back if there's another injury.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 AM
WSI Prelate

I don't think the organization "has done Danks wrong," but I do think the organization - with it's emphasis on longevity and profit over performance excellence - often prefers veteran mediocrity over young mediocrity.

In this exact situation, I'd keep Wise over Danks because Danks has options. But I'd look for a way to get a player better than Wise.

Actually, let's think big picture. I'd look for a much better starting CF, to push DeAza to the bench and push Wise and Wells off the roster.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
All we need is Brian Anderson and we have ourselves a party in this here thread.
No. Rowand. This thread needs more Aaron Rowand.

Or Nick Swisher. You make the call.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
So why is Wise in the major leaguers then? Only the Sox keep a guy with a career batting average of .220 and an OBP of .260 around. He has no business on a quality major league roster.
You have to realize your argument is kind of flawed considering last season, the Wise made more appearances for the Yankees than the Sox, right?

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay