White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
It all depends on how much he's getting paid. When he was making league minimum, then he's fine. Now that he's getting paid a shade under $3 million, that production becomes a concern. He was hitting a little better before he broke his wrist, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he's turned the corner? Because I am a crazy person.

But I think this is a real do or die year for Gordon. Unfortunately, Carlos Sanchez is off to a pretty miserable start in AAA.
Yup, hopefully Beckham can come back strong once he returns and make this whole discussion moot.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
But I'm telling you he's really not, if you're only comparing him to specific individuals in the league you miss out on some very relevant information, specifically that there's a slew of teams in the league that don't even have a player as good as Beckham who can take 500 PA at 2B and deliver the kind of results he did at the plate. Again, I'm not saying he's anything special, just saying he gives you an average AL 2B production. I know that's not what we expected of him when he was drafted and was an up and coming phenom, but it is what it is.
Some people just aren't gonna get it. This season should have left no doubt the value of a top notch fielding combo up the middle. I would venture to say the pathetic play of Beckham's replacement's has cost the Sox a minimum of 3 to 4 games. Beckham's makes up any batting deficiencies with the glove.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Some people just aren't gonna get it. This season should have left no doubt the value of a top notch fielding combo up the middle. I would venture to say the pathetic play of Beckham's replacement's has cost the Sox a minimum of 3 to 4 games. Beckham's makes up any batting deficiencies with the glove.
If he played SS, I'd agree. You just can't have 2 offensive holes in the MIF. Ramirez is a much better defender than Beckham, so he wins. Also his position is much harder to fill.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 52,968
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
If he played SS, I'd agree. You just can't have 2 offensive holes in the MIF. Ramirez is a much better defender than Beckham, so he wins. Also his position is much harder to fill.
Ramirez is really playing some poor defense right now, though, I don't know if people are willing to give him a pass because this entire Sox team seems to have checked out for the season, but (and I would have agreed with you up a week ago without even thinking about it) I really have a hard time stating that Ramirez > Beckham on defense right now, even when you factor in the relative importance of the positions they play.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,119
Default

It was nice to see Sale pitch a 1-hitter in front of a national audience. He's one of the few bright spots in the entire White Sox organization. I'm glad they have him locked up long term.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Ramirez is really playing some poor defense right now, though, I don't know if people are willing to give him a pass because this entire Sox team seems to have checked out for the season, but (and I would have agreed with you up a week ago without even thinking about it) I really have a hard time stating that Ramirez > Beckham on defense right now, even when you factor in the relative importance of the positions they play.
That's crazy talk. Even that play last night was only an error because it was Ramirez. He makes the very good play look routine. Beckham has no range. He's a vacuum and great at turning the DP, but the kid's a statue out there.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.