White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I don't think the manager makes a difference. The weak roster, offensively, limits most "fresh ideas" or stale ones any manager would have. Now if you want to play 6 infielders or let the pitchers bat, those may be still fresh ideas Robin can try. How about letting Reed pitch the first inning, then use a few set-up men in the 2nd and third then bring in the starter for 4-9? Another fresh idea that even this roster could accomodate
I think a manager can make a team better, but won't make them worse. Ozzie's coaching changed 0% from '05 till he left. In professional sports (and in most cases in college) it's about talent. You either perform or you don't.

The Sox didn't make the moves in the off-season to make this team any better. In which case made it worse. For as beat up as our pitching staff is, they are still as solid as ever. Credit Coop for that.

It's a long season, they can turn it around. However we have a track record of dumping the players if we are sucking.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
My problem with Robin is he has a boring dull personality. He was hired because he was the exact opposite of Ozzie and now the team has taken on Robin's personality which is boring and plodding.

That still doesn't address Konerko's age, Adam Dunn, Jeff Keppinger, a bunch of injuries and the total mess Kenny Williams created and will create by getting kicked up stairs, but you can't fire the players but you can fire the coach.
Now we're criticizing his personality as to why this team sucks?

This site is going to be a blast in July/August.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
A number of fans on this site and others wanted the Sox to trade Paul Konerko and make Brian Daubach the starting first baseman. Your point?
LOL. I prefer Willy Mo Pena myself...

Robin is in pretty tough, both him and Hahn inherited the remnants of Kenny's over-aggressive player acquisition style.

But he could change things up if they don't work. That's the sign of a good manager - adaptability.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
But he could change things up if they don't work. That's the sign of a good manager - adaptability.
I agree, but you can't make chicken salad out of, well, you know.

And this roster is full of chicken stuff.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM
WSI Personality

Yes we are a scrap heap, a dung heap and a Dunn heap.

Roster is ugly, first time in Sox history with two players first name of Tyler. I guess Tyler was trendy 20-30 years ago.

As some have stated just too many AAAA players. Add in an old Konerko (can he still turn on a fastball?) A horrible DH, and that is your 2013 Chicago White Sox.

Our only strength is pitching and this franchise recent history suggests there is a White Flag part two a coming.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kenny View Post
Yes we are a scrap heap, a dung heap and a Dunn heap.

Roster is ugly, first time in Sox history with two players first name of Tyler. I guess Tyler was trendy 20-30 years ago.

As some have stated just too many AAAA players. Add in an old Konerko (can he still turn on a fastball?) A horrible DH, and that is your 2013 Chicago White Sox.

Our only strength is pitching and this franchise recent history suggests there is a White Flag part two a coming.
Is it really a white flag when you're in last place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Quote of the Day:

"Eventually you get to that point where you don't pay attention to what's going on, we'll find somebody else to do it." --Robin to Mark Gonzales.

While I appreciate Robin's thoughts (it's about damn time...) the reality is, if he decides to make 'changes' who in the hell is he going replace these guys with?

Replacing a stiff with another stiff doesn't change the equation does it?

We'll see what happens.

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
I hate to use this overused analogy, but wouldn't any changes be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?
Agreed. What "changes" can he make? Who in the minors is able to fill a roster spot on the major league team? This organization has just about zero talent ready for the majors or even close to ready for the majors.

The only change we'll see is when Beckham comes off the DL.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Ventura certainly isn't the major problem with this team. Talent is. But, the unfocused play does fall at his feet. Baseball strategy isn't difficult, so things like intentionally walking Chris Getz do make one wonder.

That said, if we do conduct a fire sale, it really would be nice if we had a long term plan before doing it. Hahn should have his scouts working on it now so that we know who we want and can reasonably get before hand.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Very true.

Really though, what tradeable pieces do we have, what would the return be, and would that return be worth it?

I count six guys - Peavy, Rios (may need to eat some salary), Ramirez, Lindstrom, Crain, Thornton as guys who other teams might want (and maybe a 7th in Konerko). I suppose you could also consider Santiago/Quintana at some point too so the rotation isn't so lefty - assuming a healthy Danks - but I couldn't see that being an in-season type move. And I guess if the team is in full tear down and rebuild mode they can look at trading Reed, but at some point they need to look at guys they'd want to build around.

This is - unfortunately - the guys and the roster Robin is working with, but I'd love to see what changes he might have in mind.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

The state of this team is not Robin's fault, and it's not 100% on Hahn (I don't know how much he is responsible for though). Where this team is at is mostly due to the moves KW made over the last 4-5 seasons. Trading away prospects for aging overpaid veterans, no focus on the minor leagues or developing players and signing aging veterans is what has led us to this point. The only thing this team has going for it is the pitching, and I will give credit to KW for assembling the staff. But everything else is just horrible and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. We are heading into some dark times with this organization; I hope Hahn has a plan and the resources to turn things around.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post

I think you can wave the White Flag whenever you want to. Of course not as hurtful as being in first place and waving it, however, it is still a gosh darn freaking White Flag.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM
WSI Personality

Every now and then you have to get lucky in baseball. Everybody thought Vernon Wells was through . The Yankees took a chance on him and he has done well with the Yankees this year.(The Angels are paying most of the contract) Hopefully we can make a move or too and hopefully come out of it in a positive way. I dearly hope the first move is to bench Adam Done. Maybe he will take the hint and retire. By him hanging up his spikes we will be rid of him plus we will not be responsible for the rest of is salary. Maybe the White Sox can work out some deal with him to pay him a percentage of his contract and he can just leave. Either way I hope Done will no longer be on this team. I don't care who they replace him with, just let him go. He is the worse all around player the White Sox have had in my lifetime. And he is the worse clean up hitter in modern ( post World War 2) baseball history.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
The state of this team is not Robin's fault, and it's not 100% on Hahn (I don't know how much he is responsible for though). Where this team is at is mostly due to the moves KW made over the last 4-5 seasons. Trading away prospects for aging overpaid veterans, no focus on the minor leagues or developing players and signing aging veterans is what has led us to this point. The only thing this team has going for it is the pitching, and I will give credit to KW for assembling the staff. But everything else is just horrible and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. We are heading into some dark times with this organization; I hope Hahn has a plan and the resources to turn things around.
The staff is way too good and young to have me too concerned about our imminent demise. Hahn's going have to be creative and, like everyone else, get a little lucky, but it can be done.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
He is the worse all around player the White Sox have had in my lifetime. And he is the worse clean up hitter in modern ( post World War 2) baseball history.
I agree he is the longest tenured guy who was this bad in my lifetime, but he's far from the worst.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kenny View Post
I think you can wave the White Flag whenever you want to. Of course not as hurtful as being in first place and waving it, however, it is still a gosh darn freaking White Flag.
In the interest of accuracy, THAT White Flag was pulled off when we were in second place. Being in second place meant that there was some talent on the team that could be traded. Now? A thin list of names emerged earlier in the thread.

The blame falls on Kenny and ultimately on JR for charting the course and allowing it to be charted.