White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Paulie

What's does everybody think about PK?
Is he just about done or as the ESPN guys said last night, it's just a matter of timing with his swing. No player goes downhill that fast so I agree with what was said last night. Paulie was banged up with 3 different injuries last year plus he had wrist surgery in the off-season. I think it's just a matter of time before we see the old Paulie. The days of 40 HRs and 100+ RBIs are most likely over but I think he will wind up with .280-25-80 by the end of the season.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:38 PM
WSI Village Atheist

I reserve judgement until Paulie has had two-three weeks with game time temperatures above 70 before declaring his career finished. Coming off surgery as an older guy, it may take warmer weather to get his wrist warmed up.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
WSI High Priest

I also think that with the team's offensive struggles, he has been trying to pull the ball more likely in an attempt to hit HRs to get instant offense for the team. He has also expanded his strike zone earlier in counts swinging at first pitch breaking balls which is something he normally doesn't do. Again, this likely goes back to trying to do too much. As Fielder Jones pointed out, I'm sure the cold weather doesn't help either.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's hard to say, but I'm starting to believe he might be done. Right now, Konerko can't catch up to fastballs right down the middle. He used to be one of the best fastball hitters in baseball. Last night you could see him get really mad after making an out on a fastball he used to be able to crush in his sleep.

For players not on steroids, they can hit the end of the line pretty quickly. Remember Dye's big second-half fade in his final year? Don't forget, while Konerko put up respectable numbers in 2012, many of them were registered in the first half or so of the season. He was pretty bad in the second half so now we're starting to approach a full year of struggles, though his wrist problems certainly could explain last year's fade.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

That quick fluid compact swing of his seems missing. I thought he had one of the nicest swings for a right handed hitter that I'd ever seen. The bat is slow and uneven right now. I hope it is just because his timing is off due to the injuries and that he'll get it back. I can't take another Jermaine Dye/Adam Dunn type collapse.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

He's toward the end, but if he has one more hot streak left in him, he can still have a pretty darn good year or two. He gets as hot, if not hotter, than any Sox player I can remember recently.

It's not as if he's never went from flaming hot to ice cold or vice versa. This could just be one of his weird funks he goes through. He very well could go on a tear and be a MVP type guy by the All Star break. I think he has one more run of that left in him.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm reserving judgement until after the break for the entire team. They're not all this bad. PK was never much of an athlete though. Those guys tend to lose it in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

His trade value is low.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
His trade value is low.
Assuming of course that Konerko would approve any trade. People talk of trading Konerko the same way they talk about trading Peavy, Thornton, or Rios. Unlike those guys, Paulie has veto rights and with his age, accomplishments, and tenure, he may not want to leave his family and go somewhere else.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Banned

I thought he was done before the season.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I thought he was done before the season.
Of course you did.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Of course you did.
Of course most people did. He's regressed three straight years (four if you count this year).
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
No player goes downhill that fast so I agree with what was said last night.
I disagree. It's not scientific or anything, but when an older player catches absolute fire the way PK did to start last year, they seem to use up whatever juice they had left. Same way Dye went out. Hotter than ever to completely done seemingly overnight.

But either way, does it really matter? Paul was awesome and he helped bring us a World Series title. He's certainly too old to be part of the next WS title, so done or not, I hope he goes out satisfied with his accomplishments while still leaving the Sox in a position to move forward.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

He's probably done as a dominant hitter, but I still think he has some nice sustained hot stretches left in him. I also expect him to continue to get more days off.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Of course most people did. He's regressed three straight years (four if you count this year).
I don't know how you can claim he has regressed four straight years when his seasons in 2010 and 2011 were amongst the best years of his career. He's regressed only since the second half of last season when he was dealing with the wrist issue. 2010-2012 he put a higher OPS each season than 2007-2009.

That said, he looks bad, really bad. Hopefully some hot weather will loosen him up and allow him to get back on top of the fastball.