White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyvsox View Post
Wow. These numbers are pathetic. Sounds like we have a system wide problem with offensive approach.
Danks and Phegley have been hitting well at AAA. Dan Black, Marcus Seiman and Andy Wilkins are all hitting well at AA. Heck, Danks has hit around .320 with .420 OBP at AAA since the beginning of last year. Thompson may only be hitting .220 something but he's walking at a rate good enough to still put up .354 OPB, a couple good weeks and his numbers could look pretty solid.

I don't see the point of keeping guys like Wise and Dunn around, might as well let someone like Danks play. Dan Black may not be much of a prospect, but he's putting up a .444 OBP after a strong year at high A last year. Why not see if someone like him can break through, it's not like mediocre prospects never became decent major leaguers before.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
As Chicago fans, I don't know why we always revert to the "need more fire and passion" argument when things are going poorly. Maybe it's because this is a football town first. I'm not sure. But even if Robin were kicking over water coolers, throwing bats on the field and getting ejected every game, I don't think it would make any difference.
Some of the best football coaches in history looked like statues during games.

Not disagreeing with you in your overall thoughts, just saying that not all football coaches act like clowns.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Danks and Phegley have been hitting well at AAA. Dan Black, Marcus Seiman and Andy Wilkins are all hitting well at AA. Heck, Danks has hit around .320 with .420 OBP at AAA since the beginning of last year. Thompson may only be hitting .220 something but he's walking at a rate good enough to still put up .354 OPB, a couple good weeks and his numbers could look pretty solid.

I don't see the point of keeping guys like Wise and Dunn around, might as well let someone like Danks play. Dan Black may not be much of a prospect, but he's putting up a .444 OBP after a strong year at high A last year. Why not see if someone like him can break through, it's not like mediocre prospects never became decent major leaguers before.
Good to hear we have at least a few guys doing well in the minors. I totally agree that Danks should be getting his chance to play now. It can't hurt anything. I don't understand why guys like Wise and Wells, even Tyler Greene need to part of this right now. Play some younger prospects, let the journeymen hook on somewhere else and begin the process of rebuilding.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Play some younger prospects....
.....so people can complain about them being rushed through the minors without proper preparation.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Your first statement is reasonable. Your second statement is crazy.
How exactly did his coaching change from '05 till '10?

Cause I can show you exactly how players performed in '05 vs '07 or '10.

Ozzie wasn't that great of a manager (as he showed in Miami), we had a great team. He was distracting and became more and more annoying through the years. But had they been in 1st, it wouldn't have been as annoying.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Good to hear we have at least a few guys doing well in the minors. I totally agree that Danks should be getting his chance to play now. It can't hurt anything. I don't understand why guys like Wise and Wells, even Tyler Greene need to part of this right now. Play some younger prospects, let the journeymen hook on somewhere else and begin the process of rebuilding.
I agree, but remember in throwaway 2007, the Sox did the same thing. Bukvich and Myers pitched, while Gio toiled in the minors. Guillen had enough of Sweeney after 3 weeks, while awed by Jerry Owens. Assorted other AAAA stiffs played as the injuries mounted, and the young players didn't.
I don't understand Danks or the like not being up here, when he'd displace a clown, but the Sox lover their bad veterans.
That said, there's no need to rush anyone either.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:13 PM
WSI Guru

Gonzo just wrote the Sox went through a 50 minute workout on fundamentals five hours before first pitch tonight. Everyone participated including Beckham and Sanchez.

Lip
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Ventura: Part message, part refresher course

Dan Hayes:
Ramirez took an hour nap after early defensive session in 90-degree.

“You get their attention and the things you consider unacceptable,” Ventura said. “There’s consequences to everything that goes on, but there is a responsibility to get it right, too. When it’s sloppy you need to figure out ways to let them realize it can’t go on. This is one way that it’s done.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/dan-h...egame-practice
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Dan Hayes:
Ramirez took an hour nap after early defensive session in 90-degree.

“You get their attention and the things you consider unacceptable,” Ventura said. “There’s consequences to everything that goes on, but there is a responsibility to get it right, too. When it’s sloppy you need to figure out ways to let them realize it can’t go on. This is one way that it’s done.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/dan-h...egame-practice
What the hell were these guys doing for 6 weeks in spring training?

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-14-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
A number of fans on this site and others wanted the Sox to trade Paul Konerko and make Brian Daubach the starting first baseman. Your point?
You're wrong. People wanted Frank Thomas to start at 1B, and for Konerko and Daubach to platoon as the DH depending on the pitcher.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
My problem with Robin is he has a boring dull personality. He was hired because he was the exact opposite of Ozzie and now the team has taken on Robin's personality which is boring and plodding.
Why does this suprise you? Ozzie Guillen was hired for the same reason: he was the polar opposite of Jerry Manuel, as Kenny Williams believed that his firey personality would improve the play of a club that struggled to reach five-hundred while Manuel slept through most of the season (and when he wasn't doing that, he ****ed with the lineup).
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Why does this suprise you? Ozzie Guillen was hired for the same reason: he was the polar opposite of Jerry Manuel, as Kenny Williams believed that his firey personality would improve the play of a club that struggled to reach five-hundred while Manuel slept through most of the season (and when he wasn't doing that, he ****ed with the lineup).
To piggy-back on your point, that's usually how it goes no matter what sport it is. When one guy gets fired, the guy who replaces him is usually the opposite in every way.
I just hope Robin can bust some balls when he has to, and right now, he has to.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Its good to see Robin is at least is doing something. Likely wont hep but we shall see.

My hope is that when Beckham returns, Keppinger goes to the utility role and Gillaspie plays most of the time at third base.

De Aza
Beckham
Rios
Konerko
Viciedo
Dunn
Alexei
Gillaspie
Flowers

Might be an OK lineup for now
Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 AM
WSI Guru

Ventura told Gonzo after tonight's win that he's thinking about an 8:30AM practice session again for the team before Wednesday's afternoon game.

Good. Either they'll figure it out or Robin should just continue to crack the whip on these 'baseball stupid' players.

Lip
Old 05-15-2013, 02:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

The team has not been mentally prepared this season. That falls on the manager.

Batting Dunn cleanup for so long made no sense.

Intentionally walking Getz and allowing Butler to come to the plate with the game on the line was amateurish.