White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've been away from WSI since early April due to complex/extended illness in my family. So glad to be back.

I haven't watched many Sox games (since Opening Day) but have followed the scores/game summary via my MLB app. I'v been disappointed to read about the Sox playing bad defense and having almost zero offense. Hopefully, things are turning around for our Sox.

I have been able to watch the last couple of games thanks to my DVR. What else can you say about Chris Sale besides he is awesome! And Adam Dunn is hitting again? Yay! Keep on winning, White Sox!
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
First true dominant ace we've had since I started watching the Sox in '98/99.

Neyer tweeted that he had a flashback to Black Jack. ("mirror image, of course")
As of right now the team has the best pitching staff in the AL and the worst hitting and defense.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Its nice to have a winning streak going. After what Ive seen over the past 2 years its way too early to get excited over dunn. Hamilton looks really bad and Pujols looks very ordinary. Its very lucky to catch the angels when the Sox did.
The Angels are really suffering on the mound, unlike the Sox. They're not hitting either as well as that team should be able to (.253 right now), but their team ERA is pushing 5 and they're getting outscored by over a run a game (-45 run differential over 42 games).

Their schedule lightens up a little after us, as they see the Mariners, the Royals, and then have 4 with the Dodgers (same arrangement the Sox have with the minor leaguers) before they get the Astros and Cubs. But, unlike us, they're in a division where a team is running away with it a bit (Texas is 12 over .500 and doing most of their damage on the road), so they could find themselves running out of time to catch up if they get too far in the hole (they're already 12 out).

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
First true dominant ace we've had since I started watching the Sox in '98/99.

Neyer tweeted that he had a flashback to Black Jack. ("mirror image, of course")
Hard to believe that about one year ago KW wanted to move Sale back to the bullpen!

As for "dominant aces," Contreras and Loaiza were awfully good over a similar stretch of time.

Happy for Adam Dunn.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Sale is on fire!
Dunn is on fire!
Alex is on fire!

That gets you wins!

Rios looks so relaxed on the field, and his natural talent continues to shine. He is a joy to watch right now. One of the best all around players in the AL.

Dunn? Go figure...don't think,just keep this going,Adam!

Sale...omg.

If the Sox offense keeps warming as June approaches, they can be in the hunt by June 1, when they traditionally take off.
With the cheap tickets...they could be getting hot at the perfect time for Sox families with kids getting out of school...home cooking!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Hard to believe that about one year ago KW wanted to move Sale back to the bullpen!

As for "dominant aces," Contreras and Loaiza were awfully good over a similar stretch of time.

Happy for Adam Dunn.
True, but both of those (Loaiza in particular) seemed like catching lightning in a bottle. Sale is 24 years old!

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Kenny didn't "want" to move Sale back to the bullpen. They were concerned about Sale's soreness between starts and thought it might be best to give him more time in the bullpen to get innings under his belt while his arm built up a little more. They were concerned about injury, and they would have only put him in the bullpen temporarily.

As for the team, winning baseball is fun. Dunn is hitting. Rios is still a rock. Tank has been hitting AND walking since he got back. Hopefully we can go on a nice little ride here.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Teams who are facing Sale are probably investing in extra Sport Psychologists to help their players deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

All hail The Rick
Old 05-18-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI Personality

When a team needs to rebuild, 2 important components are a Number 1 starter and a closer. Both were present last night. Many teams go years without a Number 1 starter and the White Sox even won a World Series with a solid rotation but not a dominating Number 1. This kid may already be able to challenge the Verlanders of the world in big games as we go forward. Many teams also struggle to find a solid closer. Reed has been very good for 2 years now and is a top closer right now on a team that has been playing below .500. The Angels got to see both of them last night.
Next we have to find that all-league hitter type.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:36 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I can't remember seeing a White Sox pitcher be this dominating. The team has had some good pitchers but not like this guy.

Even more amazing is that Adam Dunn is starting to look like a major league hitter.
Dan:

Between 1990 and 1994 McDowell won the most games in the A.L. and if memory serves was second overall in baseball (behind Maddux??). He was pretty dominating. Had that split finger that fell off the table the last few feet before the hitter. Was a tough, hard nosed guy to boot which helped him in difficult situations.

Sale could become a left handed version of Black Jack.

Lip
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
When a team needs to rebuild, 2 important components are a Number 1 starter and a closer. Both were present last night. Many teams go years without a Number 1 starter and the White Sox even won a World Series with a solid rotation but not a dominating Number 1. This kid may already be able to challenge the Verlanders of the world in big games as we go forward. Many teams also struggle to find a solid closer. Reed has been very good for 2 years now and is a top closer right now on a team that has been playing below .500. The Angels got to see both of them last night.
Next we have to find that all-league hitter type.
Disagree completely with that.

As for Sale, I am glad it appears we have all moved on from wondering if he is going to stay healthy and just enjoying one of the best left handers in the game of baseball.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Count is criminally underrated by Sox fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
16 2/3 consecutive shutout innings for the kid.

He's special.

Oh, 12 strikeouts tonight for good measure.

Lip
Actually, that's 23 straight shutout innings. His start May 6 he gave up one run, which came in the first inning, over 7 1/3.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

most fun I had watching a sox game in a long time, well played game.....so timely hitting, mostly good at bats even when making outs, and Sale is a joy to watch when he is on

keep it rolling---.500 is well in sight
A swing, and a high fly ball, deep right center field. This is way back in the gap. And it's a goner! A White Sox winner! A winner on a Podsednik home run, and the White Sox go up two games to nothing in the 2005 World Series.

John Rooney October 23 rd 2005....happy 25th B-Day Nelfox02!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Teams who are facing Sale are probably investing in extra Sport Psychologists to help their players deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
C'mon. That isn't funny.

2014 PtC Score: 1