Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 AM
WSI High Priest

I'd take Wimpy back full time in a heartbeat- games are alot more fun to listen to then he's in the booth-
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 AM
WSI Personality

Hawk always seems to have a little extra "zest" when Wimpy is in the booth.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'd take Wimpy back full time in a heartbeat- games are alot more fun to listen to then he's in the booth-
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwag View Post
Agree 100%. Like or dislike them, this is what White Sox baseball should sound like for me.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwag View Post
He really does, but I'll also add the footnote that the Sox are actually playing well, at least, less bad than their opposition at the moment.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 AM
WSI Personality

Time doesn't wait for anyone. Everybody gets old. The only person who never gets old is my wife, The Goddess. Other than her, we all age. I've always liked Hawk as an announcer for the White Sox. I have even met him a few times and he really seems like a nice guy. I can't help but notice that he is starting to slip as an announcer. Last night he talked about Albert Belle and his first year with the White Sox. Hawk said Belle got off to a slow start his first year with the White Sox and had one of the greatest 2nd halfs in White Sox history. Hawk was wrong, that was Belles 2nd year with the White Sox. Belle didn't do well his first year and a half with the White Sox. He had a great 2nd half of his second and ironically last year with the White Sox. I hope if he is starting to lose it,he doesn't hang around too long like Harry Caray did. I thought it was awful when Caray kept calling Andre Dawson, Andre Rogers.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Love hearing Hawk and Wimpy together again!
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Wimpy is a nice change of pace from Stone. He's great in small doses and, as others have posted, seems to energize Hawk. It's like runnng into an old friend whom you haven't seen for a while. But Stone is a far superior analyst. Say what you will about Stone's delivery and attitude, but not many analysts are more prepared than or deliver the same depth of insight as Stone.

But it is fun to hear Hawk and Wimpy back together!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Wimpy is a nice change of pace from Stone. He's great in small doses and, as others have posted, seems to energize Hawk. It's like runnng into an old friend whom you haven't seen for a while. But Stone is a far superior analyst. Say what you will about Stone's delivery and attitude, but not many analysts are more prepared than or deliver the same depth of insight as Stone.

It is like a boys weekend in nostalgiaville for these two. With Stoney in the booth he acts as a bit of governor on the full-bore old timey stories from Hawk. With Wimpy...it is simply full-bore.

Now, I will say it was fun. I know Hawk has probably told the ''riding the mule in Yankee stadium'' story dozens of times, but for some reason,it struck me as new last nite,and was truly funny hearing about how Roger Maris threw a fungo at the mules arse,causing him to almost buck Hawk off and resulting in Hawk ending up under the belly,nose to mouth with the mule....now thats entertainment!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post

Stone knows his stuff, but he's about as fun to listen to as watching paint dry is to watch. Give me Hawk and Wimpy any day. Stone is good, just not someone I want to listen to over 162 games.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Stone knows his stuff, but he's about as fun to listen to as watching paint dry is to watch. Give me Hawk and Wimpy any day. Stone is good, just not someone I want to listen to over 162 games.
+1

Stone is the better true analyst- but Paciorekl and his self effacing sense fo humor and the chemistry with Hawk- making Hawk better- it my strong preference.

Their schtick about Wimpy being cheap has been going on for decades- still cracks me up. When Hawk & Wimpy are paired up- I like having the game on in the background just listening to the two of the them regardless of the score- when it's Hawk/Stone- I'm recording and fast forwarding through chunks of the game-

Hawk & Wimpy make ths Sox more fun and more likeable- and more like a family.

Hawk & Stone- not so much.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
+1

Stone is the better true analyst- but Paciorekl and his self effacing sense fo humor and the chemistry with Hawk- making Hawk better- it my strong preference.

Their schtick about Wimpy being cheap has been going on for decades- still cracks me up. When Hawk & Wimpy are paired up- I like having the game on in the background just listening to the two of the them regardless of the score- when it's Hawk/Stone- I'm recording and fast forwarding through chunks of the game-

I have watched more of the Sox games the past two nights than I have any games over the past two years. Maybe that makes me a bad fan, but Hawk and Stone have been miserable TV to watch. Having Wimpy back in the booth makes me think it's not Hawk who is totally to blame.

I'm in full on "Bring back Wimpy!!" mode now.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
+1

Hawk makes the same joke about Stone.

I get nostalgic about Hawk/Wimpy too, and it's nice to hear for a series or two, but if I had to hear them commentate every game...I'd probably go insane
Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
It is like a boys weekend in nostalgiaville for these two. With Stoney in the booth he acts as a bit of governor on the full-bore old timey stories from Hawk. With Wimpy...it is simply full-bore.

Now, I will say it was fun. I know Hawk has probably told the ''riding the mule in Yankee stadium'' story dozens of times, but for some reason,it struck me as new last nite,and was truly funny hearing about how Roger Maris threw a fungo at the mules arse,causing him to almost buck Hawk off and resulting in Hawk ending up under the belly,nose to mouth with the mule....now thats entertainment!
And he still got his $25, dadgumit.... Even though he swallowed his chaw!

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 05-18-2013, 04:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
+1

Wouldn't the Sox TV and radio lineups improve if these changes were made:

(1) Hawk and Wimpy on TV; and

(2) Stone to the radio booth to pair with DJ with Farmer going back to scouting.

DJ does play-by-play very well. A DJ-Stone combination on radio would work well.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Wouldn't the Sox TV and radio lineups improve if these changes were made:

(1) Hawk and Wimpy on TV; and

(2) Stone to the radio booth to pair with DJ with Farmer going back to scouting.

DJ does play-by-play very well. A DJ-Stone combination on radio would work well.
I'd prefer DJ leave the booth, as well. He has improved a lot since he started, but he's still brutal to listen to. Between his singing and his awful home run calls ("Ohhh my!"), it's a wonder anyone can stand to listen to radio broadcasts. He may be better paired with someone besides Ed Farmer, but I doubt it.