White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Don't know anything about this kid but he joins the ranks.

Keon Barnum, who was taken 48th overall in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft as a supplemental round selection, injured his left knee as the White Sox were ready to send the first baseman to Class A Kannapolis. Barnum had March surgery for a right hamate bone fracture and was working his way back.

Lip
Barnum is a power-hitting first baseman who reminds many of Ryan Howard and Fred McGriff. He started rookie ball strong, but injured his shoulder and missed most of last season. If he's going to be this injury prone, it won't matter how many home runs he mashes in the minor leagues.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
As much as I would love to trumpet Micah (being a fellow Hoosier) he's playing at least a level too low for people to get excited. I hope he gets moved up to at least W/S before the All-Star break. He was quite an intriguing talent before an injury set him back his Junior year.
I have a question about another Hoosier, former Indiana University star Josh Phegley. Phegley has had a good 2013 so far, hitting .292 with a .386 OBP, and the Sox do have a need at catcher. How long before the Sox call him up?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I have a question about another Hoosier, former Indiana University star Josh Phegley. Phegley has had a good 2013 so far, hitting .292 with a .386 OBP, and the Sox do have a need at catcher. How long before the Sox call him up?
I'm pretty convinced that he's going to get a shot in 2013, Flowers and Gimenez aren't doing all that much. If we continue to flounder in the cellar, I imagine it will happen sometime in the summer just to inject some new blood into the clubhouse. Otherwise he'll get a September call-up, but this is the year for Josh to get a taste of major league pitching.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM
WSI High Priest

The question of Phegley's defensive acumen seems to come up quite often so I figure I'd post this here:

JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36 11m
Very good arm, struggles as a receiver RT @professorfog: @jjcoop36 How it Josh Phegley defensively at catcher?
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Pretty much matches every assessment I've heard & read. If Phegley keeps hitting like this though they will live with him behind the plate I'd imagine.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Guru

Myles Jaye promoted to Winston-Salem, as well as a few other moves:

https://twitter.com/FutureSox/status/334369046231408640
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Josh Phegley, C, White Sox (Triple-A Charlotte): 2-4, 2B, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI; mistake hitter; average bat speed; solid-average power potential; fringy runner; plus arm strength; average receiver; backup catcher profile; .330/.395/.670 with 9 2B and 9 HR in 106 at-bats.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...ticleid=20582#
Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

SAL notes: Johnson stealing the show

Quote:
Through Tuesday's games, Johnson led the Minor Leagues with 35 stolen bases, seven more than second-place Rico Noel of San Antonio.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
He should be seeing the Winston-Salem lineup soon.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
He should be seeing the Winston-Salem lineup soon.
Agreed. DeMichele has been really struggling in WS.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Phegley more than a signal caller

Quote:
White Sox backstop slugs his 10th homer in Charlotte victory
Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't listen to THE SCORE or Hawk for Sox prospect info but I was home yesterday from work and heard Bernstein take a swipe at Hawk regarding a comment Hawk made about Phelgley. Bernstein mocked Phelgley as a prospect. I hope Phelgley ends up doing very well.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I don't listen to THE SCORE or Hawk for Sox prospect info.
Two excellent choices...
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI Personality

One of the reasons I don't listen to Bernstein is because of his overwhelming degree of negativity towards most things, especially the White Sox. Hawk said on one of his telecasts that Boers and Bernstein have become the new Jay Mariotti and I would have to agree with that assessment. A few years ago I was listening to Bernstein and he was dumping all over the White Sox. One of his comments was completely false. If you're going dump all over the White Sox, at least be accurate with your comments. I called him up and pointed out that his comments were false. When he realized I was right and he was completely wrong, he simply hung up on me. Both of those guys have been on the Score a number of years, so I'm assuming their ratings must be high. If it was up to me both of those guys would be looking for a new job.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't listen to THE SCORE or Hawk for Sox prospect info but I was home yesterday from work and heard Bernstein take a swipe at Hawk regarding a comment Hawk made about Phelgley. Bernstein mocked Phelgley as a prospect. I hope Phelgley ends up doing very well.
To be fair, you have to explain the entire context of that segment.

Hawk has notoriously taken the stance that scouting means everything and numbers mean nothing. He has been very all or nothing.

However, despite the fact that no scouting report has Phegley as any kind of real prospect, and most indicate he is a career back up at best (nor is he a top 10 spec, or a top 100/300 prospect etc). His numbers have been very good for a small sample size.

So what B & B were ripping on was not Phegley, but the idea that here, numbers were being used BY HAWK to discount SCOUTING, which kind of makes Hawk a hypocrite in this case....
Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Bernstein mocked Phelgley as a prospect. I hope Phelgley ends up doing very well.
Bernstein is wrong about this, I believe. In addition to Hawk's comments on the Score, Tim McCarver discussed Phegley during the Sox-Angels broadcast today, noting that he is tearing up AAA.

Phegley had to overcome some health issues, has done so and is starting to come into his own as a ballplayer. I think we will see him in Chicago soon.