White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Banned

Default Abusive Restaurant Incident

During last afternoon's Sox game in the 8th inning with 1 out and 2 men on base and the Sox down 10-5, the manager at Napoli's Pizza in Woodstock IL abruptly changed he TV to the Speed Channel where there was a race that was not going to start for over half an hour. When I asked why he did this, he claimed that the game was "over" and that if I didn't like it, I could leave. So, what I did was have the remaining food put in a doggie box and got home in time to see the last bit of a game that had been declared "over."

The bad thing is that I missed seeing the Sox score 4 runs in a comeback attempt that fell just short.

Have anyone else here ever had something like this happen to them?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post
During last afternoon's Sox game in the 8th inning with 1 out and 2 men on base and the Sox down 10-5, the manager at Napoli's Pizza in Woodstock IL abruptly changed he TV to the Speed Channel where there was a race that was not going to start for over half an hour. When I asked why he did this, he claimed that the game was "over" and that if I didn't like it, I could leave. So, what I did was have the remaining food put in a doggie box and got home in time to see the last bit of a game that had been declared "over."

The bad thing is that I missed seeing the Sox score 4 runs in a comeback attempt that fell just short.

Prior to 2006 getting a TV with the Sox game on in the LP/Lakeview area was like pulling teeth. Not quite the same problem as yours but still annoying.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Haven't had anything like that happen to me, but I get the impression Napoli's Pizza has lost a customer.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 AM
WSI Personality

I remember going to a bar in Aurora area in 2004 and I asked the bartender to put the Sox game on and both the bartender and manager told me that this is a Cubs bar and that nobody wants to watch trash. The next year the Sox of course win the World Series and in the local newspaper I see this manger promoting his bar as a Sox bar.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 AM
WSI Personality

I've had problems like this before here in Peoria (Sox fans are really in the minority here). If I get any crap about wanting to watch the Sox play I frankly tell the manager/owner that I go out four to five times a week to watch the game and it is his decision if he wants me to consider his establishment as one of my stops. Most places have learned it is worth it to have a loyal regular customer. Those that aren't willing to cater to my needs I won't visit again.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:59 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
I've had problems like this before here in Peoria (Sox fans are really in the minority here). If I get any crap about wanting to watch the Sox play I frankly tell the manager/owner that I go out four to five times a week to watch the game and it is his decision if he wants me to consider his establishment as one of my stops. Most places have learned it is worth it to have a loyal regular customer. Those that aren't willing to cater to my needs I won't visit again.
I lived in ptown for awhile you never see Sox stuff but I never had an issue getting the Sox games on..what's places do you go and watch the Sox at?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM
WSI Prelate

If I was treated with the "you don't like it, leave", line. I would walk out without paying the bill. Crass begets crass.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
If I was treated with the "you don't like it, leave", line. I would walk out without paying the bill. Crass begets crass.
As would I. It's one thing if there's a large group watching another sporting event, but most bars and restaurants have multiple TVs, so it shouldn't be too hard to ensure that everyone gets to watch what he or she wants. I've never had the problem the OP faced, but I did get a strange look from a waitress this past fall when I asked if I could watch the CBS broadcast of an Indianapolis Colts-Houston Texans game.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
As would I.
Hope you guys know a criminal defense lawyer or two.

All hail The Rick
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Hope you guys know a criminal defense lawyer or two.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Hell I wouln't even take the rest of the food in a doggy bag. I would have told him to stick the rest of the meal up his ass, walked out and left him with the bill.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I did not realize so many Sox fans are willing to go to jail for the cause of being able to watch a Sox game.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I did not realize so many Sox fans are willing to go to jail for the cause of being able to watch a Sox game.
It's their Constitutional right!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't understand why a business owner would say something like that to a customer. Most places nowadays have multiple tvs to accommodate such requests.
I would be extremely pissed if I was that customer when NASCAR was put on! Driving in a circle is not a sport (Yes I am the person to say that). He's calling Sox trash!?! look at 9/10 of NASCAR fans!

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
He's calling Sox trash!?! look at 9/10 of NASCAR fans!
Where did the owner ever call the Sox trash?