White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
WSI Guru

Default *Official* 5/19 Can't Win Without Offense; Angels-6 Sox-2

Angels win season series 4-3.

0-7 RISP.

Peavy wild and it costs him. Walked in two runs.

Omogrosso's ERA is now almost six. Pitching as well as Veal and Heath isn't he?

Sox get five hits...total.

Now they get to face a pair of 6-0 pitchers the next few days. Fun!

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 05-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Angels win season series 4-3.

Peavy wild and it costs him. Walked in two runs.

Sox get five hits...total.

Now they get to face a pair of 6-0 pitchers the next few days. Fun!

Lip
Watch the Sox beat them then lose to some nobody later this week.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM
WSI Guru

Soxman:

Well we've seen that before... a lot since 2003.

They'll play the top teams like Texas, the Yankees, Boston very well...then they'll roll over and die against garbage.

It wouldn't surprise me what you said in the least.

Lip
Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Actually, you can win without offense. You can also win without pitching. You generally lose when you don't have either. The Sox lost today because Peavy didn't pitch very well, and the offense couldn't overcome that. The Sox needed more from Peavy today because he obviously wasn't going to come out early to put more strain on the bullpen. Starters who walk in two runs with their team already losing by two generally don't stay in for two more innings. I am guessing that Ventura wanted a well-rested bullpen for Axelrod's start against the Red Sox

If Peavy was on, two runs would have been enough to win, even with a run in the ninth. The Sox beat the Angels scoring only two runs through eight and another in the ninth in Sale's start and scored nine runs in losing Santiago's start.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Brooks and the front office should take a snap shot of the non existing buzz for this team.

5 posts after a loss.

The sox are no longer relevant.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I am guessing that Ventura wanted a well-rested bullpen for Axelrod's start against the Red Sox
This business of punting games if the starter doesn't have it to save the pen for the next game is questionable. What if you don't get to the next game with Ws?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 PM
WSI High Priest

I believe JB or someone said it well, if this team could just catch the ball and stop the over abundance of walks, we'd be above .500.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Brooks and the front office should take a snap shot of the non existing buzz for this team.

5 posts after a loss.

It's pretty much been like that since last summer. Even with spending all those days in first place, this club and front office didn't exactly scream excitement before the offense died in September. I'm not sure if some of it is apathy from '11 that kind of carried over in conjunction with their play this year.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
This business of punting games if the starter doesn't have it to save the pen for the next game is questionable. What if you don't get to the next game with Ws?
That's an oversimplification. If your bullpen needs more rest to be more effective, going deep into your bullpen when your team is already trailing by four on the road might be counterproductive. When a team is losing, sometimes it's more important for a pitcher to give up innings than to burn more bullpen innings. Last season, as strong as the bullpen seemed to be, the Sox were close to the top in the majors in leads given up by relievers after the fifth inning. Part of that was the number of close games they played. Part of that was probably overwork of some of the relievers.

Major league baseball managers are more than head coaches, and baseball is unique among major sports in that pitching is such an important factor in whether you win or lose, and it is the most difficult part of the game to manage. Mangers have to manage their team through a season. They have to make decisions that affect their ability to compete in future games. It isn't a matter of managing every game to win. It's a matter of putting your team in a position to win as many games as you can.

That is why a manager betting on his team to win a game is a severe violation of the team's trust. If he is betting on a game, he could have financial incentive to make decisions he wouldn't otherwise make because they weaken his team. If he isn't betting on a specific game, he might not make moves that could give his team a better chance of winning in favor of having a better chance of winning.

Peavy giving up four runs lost the game. Taking Peavy out after the second bases-loaded walk, as he might have done in a must-win situation, wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, but it would have burned more bullpen innings.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

5 posts after a loss.

Love:

Again I quote Kittle from yesterday (which made me laugh when I read it but upon reflection is very sad) "White Sox Baseball 2013: Even the die-hards don't care anymore..."

Lip
Old 05-19-2013, 07:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Love:

Again I quote Kittle from yesterday (which made me laugh when I read it but upon reflection is very sad) "White Sox Baseball 2013: Even the die-hards don't care anymore..."

Lip
If the die-hards don't care, can they really be called die-hards?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Actually, you can win without offense. You can also win without pitching. You generally lose when you don't have either. The Sox lost today because Peavy didn't pitch very well, and the offense couldn't overcome that. The Sox needed more from Peavy today because he obviously wasn't going to come out early to put more strain on the bullpen. Starters who walk in two runs with their team already losing by two generally don't stay in for two more innings. I am guessing that Ventura wanted a well-rested bullpen for Axelrod's start against the Red Sox

If Peavy was on, two runs would have been enough to win, even with a run in the ninth. The Sox beat the Angels scoring only two runs through eight and another in the ninth in Sale's start and scored nine runs in losing Santiago's start.
You blame pitching for 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 losses, consistently. Please, spread blame around where blame is due.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-19-2013, 08:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
If the die-hards don't care, can they really be called die-hards?
Sure. We died. Hard.

I'm In Europe for my honeymoon. It is sad to me that when I look at the scores in the morning, the results of the Sox game are secondary to my fantasy teams.

Thanks, Sox. Went to opening day. Hope to see you before April 2014, when you may finally ****ing rebuild.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

5 posts after a loss.

I seriously cannot even name their "marketing" slogan for this season, even though I rattled off each one back to "The Kids Can Play" in my head.

I had more enjoyment in the 2007 season than this one. At least it was right after 2005-06.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I seriously cannot even name their "marketing" slogan for this season, even though I rattled off each one back to "The Kids Can Play" in my head.

I had more enjoyment in the 2007 season than this one. At least it was right after 2005-06.
I can't either, but I know what it should be.