White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Winningugly23 Winningugly23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle,Wa
Posts: 63
Default Big Ten baseball tourney who u got

Anyone else gonna be watching this tourney I going for Illinois..shocking I know..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,811
Default

The DVR is set, go Hoosiers!
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Winningugly23 Winningugly23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle,Wa
Posts: 63
Default

Illinois is up right now vs the gophers 2-1 bottom 3
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Winningugly23 Winningugly23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle,Wa
Posts: 63
Default

Illini vs gophers game was pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Huisj Huisj is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 3,427
Default

Is there any point to playing the tournament at a 40000 seat MLB stadium? Sure, great facility, but it just looks depressing and weird with nobody there. Smaller college stadiums are so much better for college games.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 3,590
Default

I have no idea why, because I really like baseball, but I've never, ever had any interest in college baseball.

And this is from a guy who would rather watch college football than pro.

That said, I'll take Illinois? Why? Their school colors are the same as ours.
__________________
"I told you I'd give my left nut to help this team." Paul Konerko
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Winningugly23 Winningugly23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle,Wa
Posts: 63
Default

You should watch some really good baseball, but to each their own I guess..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 3,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winningugly23 View Post
You should watch some really good baseball, but to each their own I guess..
Isn't that what the pros do?

I mean that argument could be made about professional football and why shouldn't I like that more than college. I just like the style of play- offenses and defense more in college. Is there a comparable style difference, other than the bats, in college?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,038
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I have no idea why, because I really like baseball, but I've never, ever had any interest in college baseball.
I would assume it is because most top prep ballplayers forgo college and jump straight to the professional ranks. NCAA football and basketball is littered with NFL and NBA caliber players who are just biding their time in college before they can jump to the pros. In baseball, sure, there are lot of good collegiate players who will have successful MLB careers, but if you're looking for the best 18-21 year old baseball players in the country, you're going to look at the Midwest League and Carolina League before you look at the Big 10.

This is especially true up north where the quality of play significantly lags behind our friends down South or out West.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 3,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I would assume it is because most top prep ballplayers forgo college and jump straight to the professional ranks. NCAA football and basketball is littered with NFL and NBA caliber players who are just biding their time in college before they can jump to the pros. In baseball, sure, there are lot of good collegiate players who will have successful MLB careers, but if you're looking for the best 18-21 year old baseball players in the country, you're going to look at the Midwest League and Carolina League before you look at the Big 10.

This is especially true up north where the quality of play significantly lags behind our friends down South or out West.
I'm sure that's part of it.

I also don't get the college world series. How many freaking games can you lose and still win the tournament? Isn't a tournament usually win or go home?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Winningugly23 Winningugly23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle,Wa
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I'm sure that's part of it.

I also don't get the college world series. How many freaking games can you lose and still win the tournament? Isn't a tournament usually win or go home?
Most baseball tournaments are double elimination just like the college world series...these guys go all out, to me it's really fun baseball but iam pretty much a baseball junkie so that might explain it....Then again I coach cal Ripken all star to 11-12 year old and I enjoys watch the other games my teams not playing as well..maybe I need baseball AA..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Is there any point to playing the tournament at a 40000 seat MLB stadium? Sure, great facility, but it just looks depressing and weird with nobody there. Smaller college stadiums are so much better for college games.
Well, it is the morning game between 2 lower seeded teams. I bet the night game between the hometown Gophers and the nationally ranked Hoosiers will see many more fans.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Winningugly23 Winningugly23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle,Wa
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Well, it is the morning game between 2 lower seeded teams. I bet the night game between the hometown Gophers and the nationally ranked Hoosiers will see many more fans.
Plus it was raining all day yesterday as well.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I have no idea why, because I really like baseball, but I've never, ever had any interest in college baseball.

And this is from a guy who would rather watch college football than pro.

That said, I'll take Illinois? Why? Their school colors are the same as ours.
Metal bats.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Viva Medias B's Viva Medias B's is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palos Park, IL
Posts: 12,861
Default

Last year, the B1G baseball tournament ended in a bench-clearing brawl between Purdue and Indiana.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.