White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Ugh, good player, HUGE REACH, but very signable....
All the mocks had him mid-first round, so it's not really a reach.

Might have the highest ceiling in the draft.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hope he can learn how to hit. That is kind of important.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Makes sense to get a toolsy guy, since we do have the ability to find pitchers later. As long as we teach him to use all sides of the field and work the count, he could work out. Knee injuries as a basketball player and lack of experience are a little concerning though.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
All the mocks had him mid-first round, so it's not really a reach.

Might have the highest ceiling in the draft.
I mean this with all due respect, but do you know what highest ceiling means? His speed is the only tool that projects above a 55 at the mlb level. He would probably grade 55-60 as a 2b or CF, but just average as a SS. He projects to do a lot of things pretty well, but the only thing he will great is run. His "ceiling" is likely as a .275-20/20 guy.

And him over Stanek was a huge reach...the only reason to do that is signability.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeshot17 View Post
ugh, good player, huge reach, but very signable....another athlete....but his bat is not there, reminds me too much of tim beckham
+1
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I mean this with all due respect, but do you know what highest ceiling means? His speed is the only tool that projects above a 55 at the mlb level. He would probably grade 55-60 as a 2b or CF, but just average as a SS. He projects to do a lot of things pretty well, but the only thing he will great is run. His "ceiling" is likely as a .275-20/20 guy.

And him over Stanek was a huge reach...the only reason to do that is signability.
There is much debate on this grades because he's so raw, but he's also very young still. His speed is gonna be a lot better than 55.

A lot of places had him in the low to high 20's in the draft. Keith Law had him at 46, so there's a lot of question about him but the guys that like him think he's gonna be a star.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
There is much debate on this grades because he's so raw, but he's also very young still. His speed is gonna be a lot better than 55.

A lot of places had him in the low to high 20's in the draft. Keith Law had him at 46, so there's a lot of question about him but the guys that like him think he's gonna be a star.
His speed projects 60-70 by most, mostly 65-70. But I have not seen ANY projection grades that have any other tool in the 60s. I think you need to do more than Run well to be a star.

He has all the makings of a 1st rounder to being picked around where he is.... he has a chance to stick at a thin and tough position, he offensively is a 2nd round talent, which makes him signable. I would not even mind it if they were going to use the money to draft over slot later, but history says they won't.

Only Jerry can get the rules changed single handedly to benefit himself, and then still come out as the cheapest team in the draft still haha.

If you had to grade this pick right now, with Stanek on the board, anything over a B- is a stretch.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

At this point in the draft, one of those in-between picks- looks fantastic if he pans out, looks atrocious if he doesn't.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
His speed projects 60-70 by most, mostly 65-70. But I have not seen ANY projection grades that have any other tool in the 60s. I think you need to do more than Run well to be a star.

He has all the makings of a 1st rounder to being picked around where he is.... he has a chance to stick at a thin and tough position, he offensively is a 2nd round talent, which makes him signable. I would not even mind it if they were going to use the money to draft over slot later, but history says they won't.

Only Jerry can get the rules changed single handedly to benefit himself, and then still come out as the cheapest team in the draft still haha.

If you had to grade this pick right now, with Stanek on the board, anything over a B- is a stretch.
This guy was jumping up almost everyone's board so it's easy to dismiss him if you hadn't been following him. He had a tremendous year with the stick and improved exponentially as the year went on (forcing his way into draft boards). Most grades online are not going to take his ridiculous improvement rate into consideration, and he's still learning to hit offensively, but he's definitely shown enough pop at SS for lots of people to move him this far up.

edit: I think also you're basing a lot of this off of Stanek, whom I do not share your regard for. I think there's still better pitchers out there if you're going that route.

edit: that deserves an explanation I suppose. Stanek was all over the place this year, after already not having great command of his pitches. I think his future is in the pen.

Last edited by blandman; 06-06-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Baseball America's final projection has us taking Alex Gonzalez, RHP from Oral Roberts. I would not be thrilled with that pick.
Isn't he the guy who muffed the sure-fire double play after the foul which made Bartman a celebrity?

All hail The Rick
Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Isn't he the guy who muffed the sure-fire double play after the foul which made Bartman a celebrity?
He was one of two SS in MLB at the time named Alex Gonzalez.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Banned

Looks like a lot of other teams agree on Stanek too. It couldn't be signability, even the Tigers passed on him.

Wonder if he drops out of the first round?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Looks like a lot of other teams agree on Stanek too. It couldn't be signability, even the Tigers passed on him.

Wonder if he drops out of the first round?
At this point its 100% signability. You can't really just go over slot, it screws you later. I would guess the Yankees would take him later, kind of a Joba-esque pick.

I Do agree, Stanek did not impress with his stats, its why he fell from the top 5 projection he went into the year with. But the tools are there, he just needs a coaching staff with a clue.

Have a friend who scouts for ESPN and his own websites, said Stanek's coaching staff cost him millions with their decision making this year.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
At this point its 100% signability. You can't really just go over slot, it screws you later. I would guess the Yankees would take him later, kind of a Joba-esque pick.

I Do agree, Stanek did not impress with his stats, its why he fell from the top 5 projection he went into the year with. But the tools are there, he just needs a coaching staff with a clue.

Have a friend who scouts for ESPN and his own websites, said Stanek's coaching staff cost him millions with their decision making this year.
That's an interesting take, but like I said he never really had the command, and it's regressed. Even if there are teams that believe in him, I don't think many are high on him. I know you're upset at him versus Anderson, but I'd much rather my team took the guy who's improvment has him rising on the draft board than the guy who's questions have him falling.

At this rate, he might be there for our next pick.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That's an interesting take, but like I said he never really had the command, and it's regressed. Even if there are teams that believe in him, I don't think many are high on him. I know you're upset at him versus Anderson, but I'd much rather my team took the guy who's improvment has him rising on the draft board than the guy who's questions have him falling.

At this rate, he might be there for our next pick.
My problem with Anderson is more, I do not trust our farm system at all. We have had NO SUCCESS with these toolsy guys.... We suck at development, and we take another super raw guy who we will kill and not develop properly....time for Buddy Bell to take a hike