White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 PM
WSI Personality

Default Daniel Hudson Re-Tears UCL

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...214723518.html

Tough break for him. It's interesting that he was six weeks ahead of schedule. Makes you wonder whether he rushed it and that led to the re-tear.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hudson posts on his twitter:

Quote:
Daniel Hudson @DHuddy41

Adversity is a fact of life. It canít be controlled. What we can control is how we react to it. Fall down seven times, stand up eight
Great attitude!
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 PM
WSI Guru

Wonder if Phil Rogers or any of the severe critics of the Sox for having traded him will make mention of this?

Lip
Old 06-07-2013, 10:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

I guess we really can't say the Sox got screwed over in that deal. Hudson had 1 good year, and just injury after injury.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Wonder if Phil Rogers or any of the severe critics of the Sox for having traded him will make mention of this?

Lip
Phil's still right. Kenny traded real talent for a mediocre rental. I can't derive any satisfaction from a traded player being injured.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Phil's still right. Kenny traded real talent for a mediocre rental. I can't derive any satisfaction from a traded player being injured.
Yet some people criticizing KW for this move (maybe not you) have also critcized him for what we ultimately got from Carlos Quintin.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 06-08-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

It was still a ridiculously bad move by Kenny. These injuries may or may not have happened if he stayed with the Sox. Or he could have received a better deal altogether.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Yet some people criticizing KW for this move (maybe not you) have also critcized him for what we ultimately got from Carlos Quintin.
We gave our best pitching prospect, ML ready, for a rental of Jackson, at a high salary. Did we get one of those for Quentin?
The frustration is that we just squander assets.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sucks for Hudson....good kid and I hope he makes a full recovery. It was a dumb trade then and still is now. Lets not forget about LHP David Holmberg who we also gave up in the deal. He is a top 5 prospect in the Dbacks system and should be up by 2014.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-08-2013, 10:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
That was my first thought. Somewhere, Phil Rogers is weeping. I've got nothing against Hudson and hope he comes all the way back, but it seemed like you couldn't read a Phil Rogers column for 2 years without seeing a mention of Daniel Hudson.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

First, Jackson was very good with the Sox (3.66 ERA 174 SO). The Sox gave Hudson 5 starts and he gave up 18 earned runs. He goes over to Arizona and has a great half year. His second year with Arizona was very Gavin Floydesque. Then he gets hurt and will probably never pitch again. It was a good trade then and it's a good trade now. Hudson ended up with a 3.58 ERA in the NL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
First, Jackson was very good with the Sox (3.66 ERA 174 SO). The Sox gave Hudson 5 starts and he gave up 18 earned runs. He goes over to Arizona and has a great half year. His second year with Arizona was very Gavin Floydesque. Then he gets hurt and will probably never pitch again. It was a good trade then and it's a good trade now. Hudson ended up with a 3.58 ERA in the NL.
Hudson was bad pitcher, but people are never gonna see it that way, especially since he's been injured.

There's so many statistics about the historically unprecedented luck he received when he went to Arizona (seeing like 2 top 10 offenses all year (in four very bad starts), and bottom 8 offenses in something like 75% of his starts. But it doesn't matter to those that like Hudson. He's the one that "got away". Despite being yet another example in a string of marginal 6th starters that come through our system.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
We gave our best pitching prospect, ML ready, for a rental of Jackson, at a high salary. Did we get one of those for Quentin?
The frustration is that we just squander assets.
I'm talking about the trade to acquire Quentin.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
That was my first thought. Somewhere, Phil Rogers is weeping. I've got nothing against Hudson and hope he comes all the way back, but it seemed like you couldn't read a Phil Rogers column for 2 years without seeing a mention of Daniel Hudson.
Rogers would say that of course Arizona won that trade, they got two players in return for dealing one.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
It was still a ridiculously bad move by Kenny. These injuries may or may not have happened if he stayed with the Sox. Or he could have received a better deal altogether.
Hudson was having serious trouble getting American League hitters out when the White Sox were desperate for starting pitching in a division race. Hudson and Garcia pitching back to back against the A's getting beaten up early against a lineup that featured a couple of career minor leaguers had a rippling effect through the staff, forcing more innings out of the bullpen and starters in subsequent games to go longer than they should have. I don't see how anyone who saw Hudson pitch for the White Sox could have been happy about having him in the rotation. The Sox did what they needed to do to try to stay in the race.

As it turned out, Hudson went to Arizona and had a great run through the rest of the 2010 season. He started to have a rough time in mid-2011, long before he was diagnosed with an arm injury. He wasn't at all a good pitcher in 2012 before he was found to have an injury. It's possible that the changes the Diamondbacks coaches made to his motion and how he attacked hitters made him a superior pitcher. It's also possible that they eventually led to his injury.

It wasn't just his injury, though. Hudson was struggling with the White Sox. He had a very difficult time getting hitters out when he got two strikes on them. Peavy went down, and Hudson wasn't going to come close to replacing him. Based on what I've seen from Hudson before the trade and in the last two seasons, I don't think the White Sox would have been any better off in recent seasons or this year if they hadn't traded Hudson.