White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM
WSI High Priest

He is now on anti-seizure medication. Thankfully this happened when he was sitting down at a restaurant. If he were driving a car, things could have become very bad.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
That was discussed back in 2006 with either Ozzie or Kenny (maybe both?) being a big proponent of a 6 man rotation, Cooper and the pitchers were against it though.
I think that's a big reason why KW acquired Vazquez. His 2008 playoff meltdown aside, acquiring Vazquez was the right move.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
Those were the days, weren't they? When we were worried about a .240 hitter who played lights out CF?
Puts this season's offense in perspective doesn't it? Anderson was the only weak link in that 2006 lineup.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I think that's a big reason why KW acquired Vazquez. His 2008 playoff meltdown aside, acquiring Vazquez was the right move.
It was the right move but he was pretty awful in the second half too if I recall. When the pressure was on, he would always shrink away.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
It was the right move but he was pretty awful in the second half too if I recall. When the pressure was on, he would always shrink away.
Javy has made me a few bucks over the years betting against him in the playoffs.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Eh, not as much as you'd think:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...t=p#half_extra

He was overall pretty steady

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

That 6.25 ERA in September of 2008 was pretty much the definition of choking, but he had that nice house in Puerto Rico he could go back to.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

What killed me was how spectacularly he fell apart after getting through the lineup the second time. The 5th or 6th inning, almost like clockwork, you would see guys hitting ropes off of him. I can't count the number of times I wondered if Ozzie was watching the same game as the rest of us, because you could always plainly see when things were turning sour for Javy, and Ozzie would always leave him in to get shelled.

edit: Just looked it up, Javy has a career 6.28 ERA in the 6th inning. Wow.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
That 6.25 ERA in September of 2008 was pretty much the definition of choking, but he had that nice house in Puerto Rico he could go back to.
Yeah but it wasn't even his worst month of the season, plus, he had a great August that helped even put the team in that position.

It's not like Vazquez was the only player on the Sox who has struggled in September under the Manuel-Ozzie-Ventura eras.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Yeah but it wasn't even his worst month of the season, plus, he had a great August that helped even put the team in that position.

It's not like Vazquez was the only player on the Sox who has struggled in September under the Manuel-Ozzie-Ventura eras.
No he wasn't, but it was ANYTIME there was pressure or you needed a big start from him, he fell apart. He did great on last place teams but if the team was contending he could not be counted on when it mattered the most. He also just didn't seem to care too much either, that whole quote "I will just go to my house in Puerto Rico," was very strange.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Don't lose track of the fact that he had to pitch on short rest a few times in Sept/oct that year- a number of starts with only 3 days rest-
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Don't lose track of the fact that he had to pitch on short rest a few times in Sept/oct that year- a number of starts with only 3 days rest-
2 of his last 3 starts were on short rest, but yeah, he was pithing well in 2008 until they started him short rest, his last 10 starts prior to pithcing on 3 days rest for the first time:

10 G, 68.1 IP, 3.29 ERA, .235 BAA