White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Not according to the Pirates' MO. Their highest paid player is at 7 million, and their payroll is already some 40% higher than last year. Of course, paying to get over .500 and paying to win a World Series are two completely different circumstances.
They probably want neither big future contracts nor do they want to give up much a deal. Someone like Nate Schierholz perhaps makes more sense to them in RF, although they do need a right-handed bat.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
  #47  
Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Fastball23 Fastball23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 259
Default

One player who has been rumored to Oakland is shortstop Alexei Ramirez of the Chicago White Sox. Former general manager and ESPN analyst Jim Bowden believes Ramirez would be a nice fit in the Bay Area.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oakland...tm_source=t.co
  #48  
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Fastball23 Fastball23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 259
Default

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oakland...tm_source=t.co
  #49  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,735
Default Rangers, D'Backs, Giants

A.J. Pierzynski contacted Alex Rios. According to industry sources, Rios has numerous clubs, interested in him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-in-alex-rios/
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
  #50  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
A.J. Pierzynski contacted Alex Rios. According to industry sources, Rios has numerous clubs, interested in him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-in-alex-rios/
I'm all for getting something out of the Rangers for him or any other team that has prospects to spare and $$$ to spend on his contract. I like what Alex has had to offer since the start of 2012, but we are hampering out future keeping him. We don't have enough right now to succeed, and by the time we do, his contract will be up/about up.

The Sox will definitely take a hit in attendance from making these trades, but considering some of the salaries we pay, we can save a lot of $$$.
__________________
  #51  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Fastball23 Fastball23 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 259
Default

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7.story?page=3
  #52  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,249
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I'm all for getting something out of the Rangers for him or any other team that has prospects to spare and $$$ to spend on his contract. I like what Alex has had to offer since the start of 2012, but we are hampering out future keeping him. We don't have enough right now to succeed, and by the time we do, his contract will be up/about up.

The Sox will definitely take a hit in attendance from making these trades, but considering some of the salaries we pay, we can save a lot of $$$.
I like Rios, but he's not a fan favorite like Baines, Frank, Robin or Paulie. I doubt trading Rios (or any of the relievers) will result in fan backlash.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
  #53  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
A.J. Pierzynski contacted Alex Rios. According to industry sources, Rios has numerous clubs, interested in him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-in-alex-rios/
I would think the Reds would be interested. I doubt they're throwing in the towel just yet and a right handed hitting OFer like Rios would look pretty good in that lineup.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
  #54  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,735
Default

Rick Hahn: The Sox would be seeking “high-impact premium talent’’ in deals, with starting pitching, middle infielders, center fielders and catchers in the mix.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6128174.story
  #55  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 9,116
Blog Entries: 1
Default

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/...atter-of-time/
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
  #56  
Old 07-01-2013, 11:50 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I like Rios, but he's not a fan favorite like Baines, Frank, Robin or Paulie. I doubt trading Rios (or any of the relievers) will result in fan backlash.
Sorry Frater, I should have clarified. The fans will see us likely lose more games if they see 4...6...8 guys gone and replaced with call-ups. You're right, the guys we drop aren't likely to be our top fan favorites. Also, we could call up a few guys and go on a streak.

Not including what we would owe on getting rid of someone like Dunn, I could see approx. $80 million coming off the books next year between trades and FA losses: Konerko, Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Ramirez, Thornton, Crain, and Floyd. Will we get rid of all of those guys? Probably not. Could we? There's a chance.
  #57  
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Rick Hahn: The Sox would be seeking “high-impact premium talent’’ in deals, with starting pitching, middle infielders, center fielders and catchers in the mix.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6128174.story
I've been begging for a decent catcher in the draft. Maybe there will be a good one with our high pick next year. I doubt we get a decent catching prospect here in return. With our success in getting SP seemingly out of thin air with Coop, I'd rather get someone who can start up the middle somewhere in late 2014 or 2015.
  #58  
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,478
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I like Rios, but he's not a fan favorite like Baines, Frank, Robin or Paulie. I doubt trading Rios (or any of the relievers) will result in fan backlash.
I have never grown attached to Rios. Just never really cared for the dude or enjoyed his attitude on the field like Mags or Dye. The same can be said for Dunn and Alexei. I hope the Sox can get a nice haul for him.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
  #59  
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,753
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
If we could dump Keppinger that would be awesome. He's one of the most selfish players I've seen wear a White Sox uniform with his desire to be known as someone who doesn't strikeout trumping a more productive offensive approach. Plus he's not a good fielder and doesn't have energy.
Considering how many low production strikeout kings we have who swing homer or nothing all the time, that's pretty amusing.

Keppinger is a contact hitter, and we need more of them, not less.

Being selfish would be poor hitting due to hacking all over the zone and power swinging for stats which is what we're seeing from Dunn, Viciedo and Flowers, etc. and not what we're seeing with Keppinger's "put the ball in play" approach.

Keppinger should be moved for his contract, not for his hitting, which would fit in fine if we had any kind of productive hitters in the order other than Rios.
  #60  
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 AM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Considering how many low production strikeout kings we have who swing homer or nothing all the time, that's pretty amusing.

Keppinger is a contact hitter, and we need more of them, not less.

Being selfish would be poor hitting due to hacking all over the zone and power swinging for stats which is what we're seeing from Dunn, Viciedo and Flowers, etc. and not what we're seeing with Keppinger's "put the ball in play" approach.


Keppinger should be moved for his contract, not for his hitting, which would fit in fine if we had any kind of productive hitters in the order other than Rios.
Completely agree.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.