White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 PM
WSI Guru

Default Coors Field

I will be in Denver from the 18th - 22nd of the month. During that time, the Rockies are at home, and my cousin posed the idea of attending a Rockies' game during my stay. It's quite ironic that the Cubs are the team in town during that weekend! We'd probably want to go to the game on the Saturday.

If any of you have been to Coors Field, let me know what you think of the place, as well as any comments about things within the ballpark. Feel free to also post stuff about Denver in general. While I've been to Denver, it was for a short 36 hours, as it was only for a wedding!

23 Other Games I have (all season tickets):
11/1 @ Toronto Maple Leafs, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 3/30 vs. Los Angeles, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I will be in Denver from the 18th - 22nd of the month. During that time, the Rockies are at home, and my cousin posed the idea of attending a Rockies' game during my stay. It's quite ironic that the Cubs are the team in town during that weekend! We'd probably want to go to the game on the Saturday.

If any of you have been to Coors Field, let me know what you think of the place, as well as any comments about things within the ballpark. Feel free to also post stuff about Denver in general. While I've been to Denver, it was for a short 36 hours, as it was only for a wedding!
The ballpark is nice, but I wasn't too crazy about the city or the Rockies fans. They don't really seem to care much about baseball.

I thought the Denver Aquarium was worth a visit though.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 PM
WSI Guru

Denver is awesome, especially if you love beer.

If you can't get to the mountains, at least go on a hike somewhere like Roxborough State Park.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
If any of you have been to Coors Field, let me know what you think of the place, as well as any comments about things within the ballpark.
Best view in sports.

The Buckhorn Exchange is recommended for dining, or least stop in for a beer if you are not crazy about elk steak.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Great park, great bars. ****ty city as a whole

Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Winter Park is my favorite municipal in the world.

All hail The Rick
Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Our family went to Coors Field a few years ago now. We were living large, splurged on tickets comparable to Club Level at USCF. Great food selection, great beer selection, service to your seat - it was all pretty nice.

You might want to make a point of sitting in the upper deck above the purple line, which were determined to be Mile High seats.

SMO
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I haven't been there since 2004, but I loved it for the couple of games I went to that summer. We sat way down the left field line in the upper deck for a fireworks night. They shot the fireworks off behind the scoreboard in left field, and it felt like they were exploding at eye-level sometimes. It was quite something.

It definitely feels like a huge stadium.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
I haven't been there since 2004, but I loved it for the couple of games I went to that summer. We sat way down the left field line in the upper deck for a fireworks night. They shot the fireworks off behind the scoreboard in left field, and it felt like they were exploding at eye-level sometimes. It was quite something.

It does feel like a large ballpark, and if I am not mistaken I think it seats close to 50,000. The design of the park reminds me a lot of Turner Field, although with better features and in a much better setting.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The Buckhorn Exchange is recommended for dining, or least stop in for a beer if you are not crazy about elk steak.
Yes, my wife and I had dinner there when we were in Denver, really good meal (though, a little expensive).

Didn't get to do as much in Denver as we could have since we were just there for a wedding over the weekend, but we did catch a game at Coors Field, the park is nice, the neighborhood around it was very cool. A good time, definitely one of the better parks I have visited.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post

We went in 04 too. Was there the night they announced they had traded Larry Walker to the Cardinals. They played the Reds.

Great park. The best I've been too. Went to the box office to buy tickets and the older guy who was working there gave us lower deck tickets behind the third base dugout for upper deck prices. I'd definitely recommend going.

Can't comment on Denver. We only stayed there one night on our way to Estes Park and one night on the way back to attend a wedding. The hotel was nice.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
WSI Regular

Just got back from a four day Denver trip and a Rockies game.

We sat in the upper deck behind home plate. The stadium is large and they don't even sell tickets for the upper deck in right field. The stadium was nice though, quite a few craft beer selections, Rocky Mountain Oysters, and elk bratwursts. Also there are some really good views to be had if you switch your seat locations throughout the game (easily done as there were empty seats everywhere). The fans were the least passionate of any stadium I have been at, and this was a saturday rivalry game against the giants. Lots of Giants fans there.

If you are staying downtown, the 16th street mall is awesome. There are many stores and restaurants on that strip. I like it better than Chicago's magnificent mile - and there is also free public transportation up and down the strip.

There are also at least four micro-breweries within 5 blocks of Coors field, as well as Falling Rock tavern which has over 100 craft beers on tap.

We went hiking in the mountains for a day, which was simply awesome. Great views, and a great feeling of accomplishment. We hiked the twin sisters peak as it was free and easily accessible - about an hour away from denver. We stopped in longmont though on the way back though for a few craft breweries. So much delicious beer everywhere.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:21 AM
WSI Personality

Its been 5 years since I lived there, but I used to be able to walk south/south east of the stadium to find less crowded bars after the game. Places I miss eating at:

Taste of Philly for cheesesteaks
Tokyo Bowlfor a spicy chicken and rice bowl; also the chain Tokyo Joes
Cherry Cricket for burgers (some as good in Chicago)
Southwest food in general

- Buckhorn Exchange has a different menu and some fun stuff on the wall but is pricey for what you get like others have said. If your just in it for the taste, personally I'd gamble on a random Mexican joint. As many Mexican places as there are in Chicago, I remember the average place in Denver being better (save Frontera) esp. for green chile.