White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 01:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41 View Post
Unless Phegley is going to be the starting catcher, this is pointless. He needs to play everyday. So does Flowers. And 80 games is far from a fair sample size to judge Flowers.

Bob
Were Flowers' struggles limited only to offense I would be inclined to agree with you but Flowers has shown a fundamental inability to consistently catch the ball. In that case, 80 games is more than enough of a sample size to judge Flowers.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Unless Phegley is going to be the starting catcher, this is pointless. He needs to play everyday. So does Flowers. And 80 games is far from a fair sample size to judge Flowers.

Bob
how about 172 career games?

.205/.287/.382 with a 33% K-rate. 7 passed balls in 64 games this year is unacceptable as well.

At this point, I don't care if he's going to eventually blossom into a decent catcher. He needs a change of scenery, both for his own good and for the good of fans who enjoy a well-played, polished game of baseball.

I guess that sounds harsh (and it's easy to say from an armchair), but this team is incredibly hard to watch, and he's a big reason why.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Were Flowers' struggles limited only to offense I would be inclined to agree with you but Flowers has shown a fundamental inability to consistently catch the ball. In that case, 80 games is more than enough of a sample size to judge Flowers.
Has anyone else noticed that Flowers has had some trouble throwing the ball lately, too? I am starting to think that the reserve role masked some of his deficiencies the past two years and that he cannot start consistently without those deficiencies being overexposed.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
WSI High Priest

He's 27 years old- .206 career batting avg across 540 plate appearances- "he is what he is"- which is not very good and well below expectations on defense.

He's a back up at best- or might just be a "AAAA" player- great stats at AAA but can't make the transition to MLB.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Who is replacing Danks?

All hail The Rick
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I heard somewhere it takes 1,000 ABs.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I heard somewhere it takes 1,000 ABs.
I understand your snark.

However, Flowers has shown he's not a very good defensive catcher. At least Brian Anderson was an excellent fielder, despite the fact that he couldn't hit anything but fastballs.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 AM
WSI High Priest

I just like the name Phegley, and oh, hopefully he can also play.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Interesting!

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 29m #WhiteSox have designated Hector Gimenez for assignment and will promote Josh Phegley on Friday. http://bit.ly/1aHwdmK

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 1h
Danks optioned to AAA Charlotte http://es.pn/1aHsjdy

View summary
Very interesting! My dad will be happy to see a Sox prospect who is a catcher. I have been dreaming of the day the Sox have a catcher who can throw runners out. Hoping today is that day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
Phegley's been playing well and his name is fun to say. Good move.
And how does one pronounce Phegley? Rhymes with vaguely?
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 AM
WSI High Priest

I am not much of a Phegley fan, but I pray to god he translate this year in the minors to MLB success.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Who is replacing Danks?
Most likely a cardboard cutout of a real MLB player.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I agree. I think Phegley should start for the second half and Flowers should be his backup. All I really want our catchers to do is to at least catch the damned ball.
Phegley's defense should be similar or worse. He's not strong behind the plate other than possessing a good arm. He has 8 passed balls in 60 games in Charlotte. Flowers has 7 passed balls in 65 games in Chicago. It's not going to get easier with the better breaking stuff he's going to be catching in the majors. We are going to have two sub-par defenders at catcher the rest of this season. I'm hoping Phegley's bat is noticeably better though.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Hector Gimenez is at least adequate on defense and that kid hustles in everything he does .. i like that .. also, the Sox are going nowhere this year so why keep Flowers .. looking forward to seeing Phegley .. there shouldn't be much pressure on him, other than the usual for a young player getting his first call-up..
Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox acquire a catcher in one of their deadline deals. I just don't see Flowers catching for the Sox very much longer.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Default Blake Tekotte recalled as well

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 31m Prior to tonight’s game, the Sox designated C Hector Gimenez for assignment & recalled C Josh Phegley & Blake Tekotte from @KnightsBaseball.