White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM
WSI Regular

Default Apathy as a defense mechanism

I've worked for a government agency for 30 years. During that time, there have been nine different "leaders" and even more changes at lower level managerial levels. Having suffering through so many regime and philosophical changes, I've learned that apathy is a defense mechanism to protect my sanity against all the silliness.

Now I've decided to adopt this same philosophy for this years Sox. I will no longer go out of my way to watch or listen to a game. The best I can do is check the next day's box score to validate what I probably already know.

This really hurts. I've stated in previous posts that no matter how bad the team is, at least its summer, and I can enjoy a beautiful summer night on the patio while listening to the game and enjoying a delicious adult beverage. I'll still sit out and have a few, but now I'll be listening to music.

I'll check in here once in a while, but mostly I'll be lurking. Maybe a few comments after the trading deadline.

Last edited by nsolo; 07-09-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typing error
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsolo View Post
I've worked for a government agency for 30 years. During that time, there have been nine different "leaders" and even more changes at lower level managerial levels. Having suffering through so many regime and philosophical changes, I've learned that apathy is a defense mechanism to protect my sanity against all the silliness.

Now I've decided to adopt this same philosophy for this years Sox. I will no longer go out of my way to watch or listen to a game. The best I can do is check the next day's box score to validate what I probably already know.

This really hurts. I've stated in previous posts that no matter how bad the team is, at least its summer, and I can enjoy a beautiful summer night on the patio while listening to the game and enjoying a delicious adult beverage. I'll still sit out and have a few, but now I'll be listening to music.

I'll check in here once in a while, but mostly I'll be lurking. Maybe a few comments after the trading deadline.
I've been at this point for a solid month or so. Pretty much since the initial cubs series ended.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I've been at this point for a solid month or so. Pretty much since the initial cubs series ended.
After they climbed to .500, I actually allowed myself a brief moment of hope. What came next was so sudden, so definitive and so final that even a raging optimist like me had to step back from the team. I don't even bother watching on MLB.TV and haven't for several weeks now. I normally load the box score so I can at least follow the games loosely and find out the outcome but it seems to take all the energy I can muster to do that, actually committing to watch this train wreck of a team play baseball would be far too frustrating.

Apathy describes my present level of commitment to the 2013 White Sox team perfectly.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 AM
WSI Prelate

I remain interested in the performance of Beckham, Phegley and Gillaspie, and our starting pitchers. Also, I am eager to learn about the players we obtain in return for our veterans.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

For as much as I complain about the in-game experience at the park sometimes, I still love going. Baseball is my summertime distraction from life. Plus there are good people there too; our beer vendor is the best, the guys up in the stadium club always take care of me and mine, and on the rare pre-game trips to bacardi they're pretty cool too. Plus I can go stand in one spot on the concourse and see a ton of people I've known forever or have met because of the Sox. So, yeah the team sucks, but I'll still drag my ass out there no matter what the Hawks, Bears, Bulls or any other team I like is doing.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I remain interested in the performance of Beckham, Phegley and Gillaspie, and our starting pitchers. Also, I am eager to learn about the players we obtain in return for our veterans.
+1.

I am definitely apathetic to the overall performance of the team. I usually have the game on TV in the background, but I wouldn't call it "watching a game". More like "have it on in case something good happens" (which is rare).
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

If Apathy can pick it, sign him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 AM
WSI Personality

Since 05, the WS are 616 - 605.. flirting with mediocrity...

the question you have to ask yourself is: would you rather have another season of hanging around and being aced out of the playoffs come Oct, or witness an organizational wakeup call and chance to start fresh??
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsolo View Post

The jobs that i've had (commercial fisherman,ab on a ship,wildlife park) if i adopted that philosophy, people/animals would get hurt, but i totally understand the apathy when it comes to baseball at this time .. i've been there for some time, when it comes to being apathetic about sports in general actually, but especially with this years White Sox .. i am kind of looking forward to see what they can do to improve this team..
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
For as much as I complain about the in-game experience at the park sometimes, I still love going. Baseball is my summertime distraction from life. Plus there are good people there too; our beer vendor is the best, the guys up in the stadium club always take care of me and mine, and on the rare pre-game trips to bacardi they're pretty cool too. Plus I can go stand in one spot on the concourse and see a ton of people I've known forever or have met because of the Sox. So, yeah the team sucks, but I'll still drag my ass out there no matter what the Hawks, Bears, Bulls or any other team I like is doing.
Sounds like things have come full circle from the days of playing hookey in the 70's, when a trip to the ball park was a comiseration of despair, yet tempered by good times and friendships cultivated, mixed in with the sensory spikes of the old edifices on each side of town..

As much as this season sucks its a point all franchises must fall to snap out of the delusional state thinking the dead horse can still run in the Kentucky Derby...

Apathy, yes... Better than the 7 mile stare at this point... Just going thru the motions waiting for this season to die its slow death and to start anew next season... Mediocrity lies to hope... Hitting bottom causes change..

BK59
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I turned on the game the other day and my dog suddenly jumped up and bit me. Learned my lesson.

All hail The Rick
Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Personality

Default King Apathy III

All the changes superficial.

Apathy, still a king.

Liberal reactionaries, Never dealing anything, for now.

So I'm leavin' for the country, to try and rest my head'Cause if I hang around this scene too long

You know babe, I'll be dead

-Roger McQuinn
Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default A Haiku to Combat Apathy

Let's keep our heads high
For things will soon turn around
Damn.................shut out again.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 PM
WSI Regular

For at least 35 years, win or lose, I have looked forward to watching and listening to the games. The anticipation of the game that day was fun. Coordinating my activities around the game was a priority. This team is unwatchable. This year I am planning a two week summer vacation. If that is apathy then I am amongst those who have caught the bug.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danryan View Post
For at least 35 years, win or lose, I have looked forward to watching and listening to the games. The anticipation of the game that day was fun. Coordinating my activities around the game was a priority. This team is unwatchable. This year I am planning a two week summer vacation. If that is apathy then I am amongst those who have caught the bug.
Same here. This team is simply painful to watch. I rather do anything else.