White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM
WSI Guru

Default 1986 Harold Baines Trade to KC

During the first inning tonight, Hawk and Stone were talking about how no player is untouchable. Hawk said John Schuerholz wanted Harold Baines from the Sox. Hawk said he told him he could have them for "those two young outfielders." Dick Howser vetoed the trade. Did Hawk mention the outfielders by name? I could not make it out on the broadcast. I am assuming this happened during the offseason between '85 and '86. Schuerholz was GM of the Royals at the time.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
WSI Guru

The only three guys that he could be referring to are Darryl Motley, Pat Sheridan and maybe Bo Jackson (thank you retrosheet). Bo didn't sign with KC until June 2 of '86 though. Hawk was only around for a couple of months after that. Motley was a pretty good player. Bo and Motley would have been an interesting trade. Sheridan and Motley for Baines would have been terrible. I have a feeling it was the latter of the two trades. KC would not have traded Bo immediately after drafting him. I don't think I am missing any other names.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM
WSI Regular

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever heard Hawk even acknowledge his time as GM. Given his tendency to tell nostalgic stories, that clearly says something.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_the_wolf View Post
On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever heard Hawk even acknowledge his time as GM. Given his tendency to tell nostalgic stories, that clearly says something.
I've heard him tell that same story before.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_the_wolf View Post
No, he's thrown a handful of stories out there over the past couple of years. Earlier this year or last year he talked about a couple of guys he tried to trade for. I would have to look up my old posts to try to remember. Definitely not the first time, but it is rare.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Personality

Hasn't he mentioned being the only guy to fire Tony LaRussa a few times in broadcasts as well?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisSoxFan View Post
Hasn't he mentioned being the only guy to fire Tony LaRussa a few times in broadcasts as well?
I doubt it. You see if Harrelson spoke about firing LaRussa, or trading Bobby Bonilla, or forcing Carlton Fisk to play leftfield - well then he would be resorting to the truth.

It's so much easier to just make up stories incorporating dead people about trades which you tried to make.

"Mercy..............Stone Pony...............when I was the General Manager of this team I spoke to a now deceased advanced scout about the availability of a high school kid who would soon become a big home run hitter in the major leagues, a now deceased general manager about getting a pitcher who went on to win multiple Cy Young Awards, and a now deceased owner about getting a player who has since died, who if you knew who I was talking about would have made a world...............and I mean a world of difference."