White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Is this game being rebroadcast on CSN? I missed it also.
Cubs-Cardinals are on right now.

Go Sox!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM
WSI Guru

http://wapc.mlb.com/cws/play/?tcid=m...nt_id=28809929

just found this video, which pretty much summarizes the game.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
What happened that caused the benches to clear? I didn't get a chance to see any of the game.

Also while it is nice that Phegley is hitting, I am going to wait until the league sees him for the second time. I hope he hits well and can improve his defense but I am not totally sold on him being the long term answer at any position.
Putkonen threw a pitch behind Ramirez. Ramirez immediately stepped out of the box, pointed toward the mound and started walking toward Putkonen. The home plate umpire ejected Putkonen, the catcher grabbed Ramirez and the benches cleared. Eventually, people came in from the bullpen.

Earlier, Sale threw high and tight to Fielder after Cabrera homered. He didn't hit him, and no warnings were issued. Leyland was ejected after arguing, I'm guessing that there had been no warnings issued before the ejection.

And, really, Phegley isn't hitting better than Flowers did his first week of the season. Flowers and Beckham were the top hitters on the team the first week in the season. On opening day, he homered in a 1-0 win. I think the postgame thread was "AJ who?" or something like that. In the second game of the season, Flowers homered to break a 1-1 tie to put the Sox in front for good in a 5-2 in.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

And, really, Phegley isn't hitting better than Flowers did his first week of the season. Flowers and Beckham were the top hitters on the team the first week in the season. On opening day, he homered in a 1-0 win. I think the postgame thread was "AJ who?" or something like that. In the second game of the season, Flowers homered to break a 1-1 tie to put the Sox in front for good in a 5-2 in.
I remember it well. I even remember some smart ass suggesting the left field stands being called Flowers' Garden.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 PM
WSI Personality

So what? Just because Flowers had a good first week we're supposed to be extra cautious with our enthusiasm for Phegley?

Are we supposed to do this for anyone who comes up and hits 3 hrs in his first week, or just Phegley because he happens to play the same position as Flowers?
AL: Jim Landis! I know that, Jim Landis!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
So what? Just because Flowers had a good first week we're supposed to be extra cautious with our enthusiasm for Phegley?

Are we supposed to do this for anyone who comes up and hits 3 hrs in his first week, or just Phegley because he happens to play the same position as Flowers?
It's a matter of perspective. Flowers' first five games were better offensively than Phegley's first five games, although Phegley hit one more home run. Phegley has an unimpressive batting average, and his on-base percentage is lower than his batting average. I don't know if Flowers had two passed balls in his first five games.

I'm happy for a fellow IU allum and hope he develops into a solid major leaguer, but the excitement over his offense is out of proportion to what he has done offensively.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It's a matter of perspective. Flowers' first five games were better offensively than Phegley's first five games, although Phegley hit one more home run. Phegley has an unimpressive batting average, and his on-base percentage is lower than his batting average. I don't know if Flowers had two passed balls in his first five games.

I'm happy for a fellow IU allum and hope he develops into a solid major leaguer, but the excitement over his offense is out of proportion to what he has done offensively.
Do you realize that some of the things Phegley has done this week haven't been done by a Sox rookie in centuries? Flowers first five games were better than Phegley's?

What did he have two or three RBI?

What is that statement based on?

Last edited by voodoochile; 07-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 AM
WSI Personality

It's fine to say that his first 5 games haven't been that great because he's only hitting .200. It still doesn't have anything to do with Flowers first 4 games in his third major league season. I'm sure everyone here is aware that he could go for 0 for the next 5 games like Flowers did.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being optimistic about him. It doesn't cost anything.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 AM
WSI High Priest

It's mid summer- and a rookie, midwestern kid call up has had a great first week- I'm just going to enjoy that for what it is- he'll have to adjust as the pichers adjust to him, etc.- but for now- it's a highlight of a horrible season. I remember a kid named Ricky Seilheimer being called up- having a few good games- then flaming out- but it's always fun to watch while it lasts.

A few years ago- I saw Lucas Harell win an emergency start- 5 inning win, by the skin of his teeth (dodged a grand slam by about 2 feet). Just seeing a kid "beeming" from his his first major league win on a warm summer night- that's why I love baseball- and it's my favorite sport by far-
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
Do you realize that some of the things Phegley has done this week haven't been done by a Sox rookie in centuries? Flowers first five games were better than Phegley's?

What did he have two or three RBI?

What is that statement based on?
Flowers started off this season 5 for his first 12. Phegley is 4-20. I don't see why the RsBI matter.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
WSI Regular

As Jim Leyland was walking back to the clubhouse he was probably quoting Paul Newman in the movie Butch Cassidy, "Who are those guys?"
Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Flowers started off this season 5 for his first 12. Phegley is 4-20. I don't see why the RsBI matter.
Is this really an argument? We need bigger problems. Oh wait. We have some.