White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
4 years in A ball doesn't help his case.
He played a season of short season A ball, one year at low A, last year at high A, and was just promoted to double A after spending the first half of this year at high A. I don't think that's bad progress for a kid drafted out of high school. He's 22 at AA, that's right on course.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
If I'm reading it correctly it sounds like the Sox actually gave up money?
I read on-line story (don't have the source handy) that the cash was six figures to cover the buyout for his option for next season.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
The one hope we have is Jacobs is 22 and may have a future. Thornton is 37 and doesn't.
The Sox picked up Matt Thornton for the failed Sox draft pick, Joe Borchard aka Light Tower Power. Thornton turned his career around here. He seemed like he was a well liked teammate. I have not been a fan the last year or so of his work, but I wish him the best in the move to the Other Sox.

Thanks Matt. Best wishes.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Personality

When trades with Boston came up I said to myself "The one player I hope they don't acquire is Brandon Jacobs." Naturally, I am not happy. How many non-baseball athletes who can't hit are the Sox gonna get before they realize the hit tool is the single most important tool to project major league success?

Bleah

Maybe this is good value for Thornton, I just believe Jacobs will never hit AAA pitching, let alone in the majors.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Huh.

We turned Thornton back into Joe Borchard.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Some are expecting way too much. The next 3 weeks and maybe longer is salary dump time, plain and simple. You arent going to get silk purses from sows ears.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Don't really know anything about Jacobs. Is this a good trade?
I don't know what that question means. The White Sox won't have to pay Thornton for the remainder of the year. Fans don't have to endure the agony of seeing him come into games, if that is what they feel. Still, the pitcher who replaces him will probably disappoint more. The White Sox, however, apparently effectively will have to buy out his option after the season as they would have done had they kept him.

It is probably too much to expect Jacobs will help the White Sox as much as Thorton did during his career, and that really shouldn't be the standard. It will likely be years before anyone knows. Some doubt that Jacobs will ever make it to the majors. When you look at deadline deals for prospects, there are more acuired prospects who never make it to the majors than acquired prospects who go on to become stars in the majors.

Maybe the Sox see talent in Jacobs they will be able to develop. Maybe he will become an organizational minor leaguer. I didn't expect the Sox to get more than Jacobs for Thornton, but I didn't expect the Sox to include cash in the deal.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Some are expecting way too much. The next 3 weeks and maybe longer is salary dump time, plain and simple. You arent going to get silk purses from sows ears.
I agree that this was a salary dump. People aren't coming out to watch this team, so a chance to get the rest of the $6 million owed off the books seems to be the primary goal. We get a guy back that may never sniff the majors. This guy is a lottery ticket prospect: going to take a lot more for him to get his cup of coffee.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Agreed. Did people really think Boston or any other team was going to give up an elite prospect for 25 innings of 36-year-old Matt Thornton?

Not gonna happen.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-12-2013, 11:36 PM
WSI High Priest

The cash back shows that Thornton and his salary for a bag of balls was a deal breaker. I'm sure some will be surprised on what else will happen in the next few weeks.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 PM
WSI Regular

I hope Jacobs becomes a great player.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Agreed. Did people really think Boston or any other team was going to give up an elite prospect for 25 innings of 36-year-old Matt Thornton?

Not gonna happen.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
I hope Jacobs becomes a great player.
Me too.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Rios is one of the best, if not the best, bat on the market.
Peavy, if he pitches well in a couple of starts, is the number 1 or 2 pitcher on the market.
If it's possible to get quality prospects at midseason anymore, we should get some.

This prospect looks okay. He has the Sox profile - some power,speed, strikes out a lot. Better than some run-down AAA prospect.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Banned

Traded Thornton too late to get anything back, should have traded him before the season when he still had value.

This is a purge move, nothing more nothing less.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Traded Thornton too late to get anything back, should have traded him before the season when he still had value.

This is a purge move, nothing more nothing less.
Why would Thornton have had more value before the season than now? I can understand that the acquiring team would have had him under contract for a full season; but on the other hand, his salary is pretty high and his 2012 was pretty unimpressive.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...