Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 05:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I'm a regular listener to B&B and they've actually been Phegley "supporters" from at least as far back as spring training. Sure, they'll have a little fun with fans suggesting he's the second coming of Johnny Bench, but they've been pretty positive about him. Or, at least 'positive' for them. Also, they had him on the show on 7/9. You can listen to the interview at the Score's website.

Bernstein's a Sox fan. His attitude wouldn't be at all out of place on this board. To suggest they don't like him simply because he's a Sox prospect doesn't ring true at all.
Nailed it. I guess not listening is a skill as well. Dan's a big Sox fan. Terry is too but he hides it. But they can be too enthusiastically negative and Theo seems to have caught their fancy at the moment.

Phegley seems vulnerable to biting on the big slider a foot outside at the knees. No, I'm not a scout. Check it out tonight.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Tuffy Rhodes was being heralded as Babe Ruth after one game.

We are looking nearly as silly.

Flowers homered in the opener. Some likely thought, "Well, it was OK to not have AJ!"

Not saying Phegley won't be good or even great, but come on. Let's not sound like people posting on the Sox page on Facebook.
The Flowers home run in the opener drove in the only run in a 1-0 game. The Flowers home run in the season's second game put the Sox ahead for good. After only a few games of Flowers starting, things were looking good for him offensively. He was getting other hits, but at the time, the Sox weren't doing a very good job at getting men on base. What the White Sox had to start the season as catcher was a huge part of their offense. That pretty much dissipated when the Sox hit the road after winning 4 of their first 6.

I actually like Phegley. I hope he turns out to be the best IU baseball product since Ted Kluszewski. I hope Phegley hits more World Series home runs in a White Sox uniform than Kluszewski did (I think Kluszewski holds the team record with 3 in 6 games). But Phegley isn't tearing the cover off the ball. He has a batting average of .200 and an on-base percentage of .190. He has 50 percent more strikeout than hits. He appears to have a better swing than Flowers. He even appears to make more contact, though I don't know if that can be shown statistically.

I have no problem with fans getting excited over players. After Daryl Boston's first game, I was excited for the future. Hitting leadoff, he tripled in his first major league at bat and ended up going 3-for-5. At this moment, Tyler Flowers has a better batting average than Phegley. Johnny Bench was a long time ago, but Phegley doesn't compare to what Buster Posey did for the Giants when he came up in May 2010.

Really, Phegley isn't a quantum improvement over Flowers (who, as I posted in the opening day game thread, is no Posey). I see more potential in Phegley than Flowers. If I were seeing Buster Posey potential or even Johnny Bench potential I might be excited.

As it is, I haven't jumped on the bandwagon and can only hope it runs long enough that I can be late jumping on.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI Prelate

I see Phegley played some 2B yesterday. Another Biggio!
Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 PM
WSI Personality

Uh, oh. Phegley leaves the game after taking a foul ball off of his right hand in the bottom of the ninth.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
Uh, oh. Phegley leaves the game after taking a foul ball off of his right hand in the bottom of the ninth.
Tyler Flowers has a really good voodoo doll, apparently.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:22 PM
WSI Regular

Mark Gonzales@MDGonzales2m
X-X-rays on phegley negative
Old 07-14-2013, 04:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
Mark Gonzales@MDGonzales2m
X-X-rays on phegley negative
I won't be convinced until they get results from the XXX-rays.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM
WSI Prelate

It's only 74 ABs, but his OPS is now below that of Tyler Flowers.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It's only 74 ABs, but his OPS is now below that of Tyler Flowers.
He is also showing a similar problem with consistently catching the ball.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:32 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
He is also showing a similar problem with consistently catching the ball.
True - I mean, 70+ ABs is not enough to judge a guy, but at least they are giving him a chance.

Catcher needs a severe upgrade next season.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM
WSI High Priest

It is early, but he can't hit a curveball. I mean, that book on him has been so obvious. How many at bats has he seen nothing but diet of Curves or Sliders.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It is early, but he can't hit a curveball. I mean, that book on him has been so obvious. How many at bats has he seen nothing but diet of Curves or Sliders.
You mentioned that on Sunday before the game and I hadn't been following the Sox as much or Phegley but I made a point of watching Phegley's at bats, sure enough, nothing but breaking balls away. He looked hopeless.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Jobu needs a refill.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

He hasn't drawn a walk yet either. I'm not a fan of his swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yeah, it's not real hard to figure out what is going on with Phegley. Most of these breaking balls he's swinging at are not strikes. That's really the biggest issue. Pitchers are going to continue to throw it down and out of the zone until he proves he can lay off it.

It's possible he's just overanxious. He's a young kid trying to play his way into the White Sox future plans. In his situation, it's hard to be patient at the plate, but he needs to be if he wants to play for this team next year and beyond.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/