White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,269
Default Chris Davis: 37 HRs at All Star Break

Ties Reggie Jackson's AL record - though Jackson did it in fewer games.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...all-star-break
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 AM
ComiskeyBrewer ComiskeyBrewer is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sconsin
Posts: 1,724
Default

While i realize he has never played more than 139 games in a single major league season, I can't help but think "juicer" when i see his HR totals(he is 5 HRs short of matching his ENTIRE career totals when he was with TEX). I don't think he's Brady Anderson or anything, but when a 40 HR guy(which i think Davis can be, when looking at his Minor league stats as well) almost has 40 at the BREAK, i can't help but think he's on something. ESPECIALLY when you see after this season is his 2nd arby year.

Am i the only one who thinks this way? I've really turned into a cynical man.
__________________
Brewers Season Ticket Holder since 2007

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
While i realize he has never played more than 139 games in a single major league season, I can't help but think "juicer" when i see his HR totals(he is 5 HRs short of matching his ENTIRE career totals when he was with TEX). I don't think he's Brady Anderson or anything, but when a 40 HR guy(which i think Davis can be, when looking at his Minor league stats as well) almost has 40 at the BREAK, i can't help but think he's on something. ESPECIALLY when you see after this season is his 2nd arby year.

Am i the only one who thinks this way? I've really turned into a cynical man.
Well I do remember that the first time he got called up by Texas 3 or 4 years ago he did something ridiculous like 10 HR in his first 15 games. He's always had the power, although it's certainly possible that he was on juice then too.
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Marqhead's Avatar
Marqhead Marqhead is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the Shadow of the Sears Tower
Posts: 8,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
While i realize he has never played more than 139 games in a single major league season, I can't help but think "juicer" when i see his HR totals(he is 5 HRs short of matching his ENTIRE career totals when he was with TEX). I don't think he's Brady Anderson or anything, but when a 40 HR guy(which i think Davis can be, when looking at his Minor league stats as well) almost has 40 at the BREAK, i can't help but think he's on something. ESPECIALLY when you see after this season is his 2nd arby year.

Am i the only one who thinks this way? I've really turned into a cynical man.
118 HR in 472 minor league games.

114 HR in 531 major league games.

It's taken him a while to figure it out at the major league level, but the power has always been there.
__________________


Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 978
Default

He recently said that he believes 61 homeruns is still the record which apparently made Joey Votto upset.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Madvora Madvora is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
He recently said that he believes 61 homeruns is still the record which apparently made Joey Votto upset.
Can you explain what this means? I don't follow.
What does Joey Votto have to do with Bonds' "record"?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvora View Post
Can you explain what this means? I don't follow.
What does Joey Votto have to do with Bonds' "record"?
Chris Davis said that the real record is still 61 and Votto made some kind of comment about how he's wrong. You could probably look up Joey Votto and it should explain it better.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 AM
ComiskeyBrewer ComiskeyBrewer is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sconsin
Posts: 1,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
118 HR in 472 minor league games.

114 HR in 531 major league games.

It's taken him a while to figure it out at the major league level, but the power has always been there.

I agree, which is why i said i think he can be a 40 hr a year guy, but for him to have 37 at the break makes me raise an eyebrow. Look at it this way, the guy has broken 40 in a year(minors and majors combined) once and now he is 3 HRs away from doing it in half a season. Players generally don't deviate from their career norms THAT much unless you are on something. If he pulls a Brandon Inge(albiet Inge only had that burst of power for a month or so IIRC) and plummets back to earth i'll change my tune. But for now, i don't think he's on the level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
He recently said that he believes 61 homeruns is still the record which apparently made Joey Votto upset.
Smoke Screens aren't exactly uncommon when you have something to hide. Remember Mark McGwire having Creatine in his locker? Everybody assumed that was the cause for his power and he was on the up and up. Who would question a guy about steroids who is on the record as saying he doesn't consider a known steroid user as the true record holder?

I realize this comes off as a big reach, but i just can't shake the feeling he is on something. Like i said, baseball has made me cynical of anybody putting up big numbers.

Last edited by ComiskeyBrewer; 07-17-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 3,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
I agree, which is why i said i think he can be a 40 hr a year guy, but for him to have 37 at the break makes me raise an eyebrow. Look at it this way, the guy has broken 40 in a year(minors and majors combined) once and now he is 3 HRs away from doing it in half a season. Players generally don't deviate from their career norms THAT much unless you are on something. If he pulls a Brandon Inge(albiet Inge only had that burst of power for a month or so IIRC) and plummets back to earth i'll change my tune. But for now, i don't think he's on the level.



Smoke Screens aren't exactly uncommon when you have something to hide. Remember Mark McGwire having Creatine in his locker? Everybody assumed that was the cause for his power and he was on the up and up. Who would question a guy about steroids who is on the record as saying he doesn't consider a known steroid user as the true record holder?

I realize this comes off as a big reach, but i just can't shake the feeling he is on something. Like i said, baseball has made me cynical of anybody putting up big numbers.
It's also possible that the age of 27 he's just now hitting his prime.

I mean, if we're all doomed to repeat the kind of performances we give as 23 year olds, this world would be an even scarier place.
__________________
"I told you I'd give my left nut to help this team." Paul Konerko
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Stanley Stanley is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
He recently said that he believes 61 homeruns is still the record which apparently made Joey Votto upset.
I just read that quote by Votto last night, which only made me dislike him more. He really sounds like a jerk going by all the interviews I've read with him. Aside from being the most overrated player in MLB (oh but look at his OPS!), the dude can not pass up an opportunity to say something stupid or mean. Chris Davis did not ask for any stat or rule change, he just gave an honest answer to a stupid question.

I wish Votto would take his super cool OPS, disappointing power numbers and his 250 mil. and kiss da asscheeks.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I just read that quote by Votto last night, which only made me dislike him more. He really sounds like a jerk going by all the interviews I've read with him. Aside from being the most overrated player in MLB (oh but look at his OPS!), the dude can not pass up an opportunity to say something stupid or mean. Chris Davis did not ask for any stat or rule change, he just gave an honest answer to a stupid question.

I wish Votto would take his super cool OPS, disappointing power numbers and his 250 mil. and kiss da asscheeks.
Yeah I heard about the Votto comments on the radio. I also look at Votto differently because of that. I'm pulling for Davis to hit 62 and I bet the Maris family is too. I don't think they were to happy when McGwire broke the record.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.