White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Word is after hearing MLB's case against him, Arod's lawyers wanted him to plea. Considering he's got the best lawyers money can buy, MLB's case must be a lot stronger than people have been saying.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Until they force teams to forfeit games, this will never go away. Imagine the Yankees being forced to forfeit 50 or 100 games. That would change things.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
Until they force teams to forfeit games, this will never go away. Imagine the Yankees being forced to forfeit 50 or 100 games. That would change things.
If teams forfeited games for having participants who test positive for banned substances, which is pretty much the way it goes at the amateur level, teams would have more reason to care about players using banned substances. Some fans want to take away Barry Bonds home runs, but you really can't do that unless you take away the Giants wins that were aided by Barry Bonds' home runs.

Logistically, if the problem is widespread, that doesn't work because if you tested after every game, the team forfeiting would sometimes have to forfeit as well. And its a long season.

In football, with no team playing more than one game a week, it would be easier to test every player before and after games. But America really doesn't care about football players using banned substances.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Banned

More evidence that baseball's case might be a lot stronger than first impression. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/94...tect-ped-users

First, Arod's lawyers tell him to plea. Now the union is only going to concentrate on cases it thinks it might when. There must be some serious evidence in baseball's corner if the union is going to refuse to defend its members.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If teams forfeited games for having participants who test positive for banned substances, which is pretty much the way it goes at the amateur level, teams would have more reason to care about players using banned substances. Some fans want to take away Barry Bonds home runs, but you really can't do that unless you take away the Giants wins that were aided by Barry Bonds' home runs.

Logistically, if the problem is widespread, that doesn't work because if you tested after every game, the team forfeiting would sometimes have to forfeit as well. And its a long season.

In football, with no team playing more than one game a week, it would be easier to test every player before and after games. But America really doesn't care about football players using banned substances.
If both teams had to take a loss, I'm ok with that. Give em both a loss. Until it affects teams this is never going to end. How we allow these players to essentially cheat the game, others players, and the record books I don't understand how it's any different than Pete Rose. Ban them all.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

I've never understood this mentality. Person cheats in baseball, they are scum and are in par with thieves and adulterers. NFL DPOY gets caught doing the EXACT same thing and it isn't even in the top half of the sports center broadcast. Just doesn't make sense.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
I've never understood this mentality. Person cheats in baseball, they are scum and are in par with thieves and adulterers. NFL DPOY gets caught doing the EXACT same thing and it isn't even in the top half of the sports center broadcast. Just doesn't make sense.
Football has a much longer list of banned substances and does a much better job of not leaking what caused the suspension.

And let's not forget that baseball's post strike boom, as well as several records, were built on a foundation of drug abuse.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Football has a much longer list of banned substances and does a much better job of not leaking what caused the suspension.
Shawn Merriman took steroids, and it was reported as such. Yet nobody cared. Anybody care about Von Miller? Probably not.

Quote:
And let's not forget that baseball's post strike boom, as well as several records, were built on a foundation of drug abuse.
I'd be willing to bet many nfl/nba/nhl records were broken due to PEDs. I doubt Brett Favre breaks half those records without some help. They might not have built muscle, but I'm sure they helped him with recovery.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
Shawn Merriman took steroids, and it was reported as such. Yet nobody cared. Anybody care about Von Miller? Probably not.

I'd be willing to bet many nfl/nba/nhl records were broken due to PEDs. I doubt Brett Favre breaks half those records without some help. They might not have built muscle, but I'm sure they helped him with recovery.
Baseball was resurrected from the abyss by a tainted home run chase. Ratings were easily fourth of the major sports.

Do we know it was steroids Von Miller took? Here it explicitly says what Von tested postive for is unknown. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/94...ension-sources

Keep in mind whether steriiods or not, all NFL substance violations are 4 games. That includes all illegal narcotics (even marijuana) and hundreds of OTC supplements that most people would take without incident.

Last edited by blandman; 07-22-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Baseball was resurrected from the abyss by a tainted home run chase. Ratings were easily fourth of the major sports.
So that some how justifies the hypocracy of fans looking the other way when it comes to the most watched sport in america(lets not overlook the fact that baseball ratings were fine in the 80s when steroids were rampant as well. Had the strike not happened there is no need for the HR chase to resurrect baseball)?
I understand being upset about PEDs, but if anything that outrage should jump over to other beloved sports so that they can feel that sport is clean as well. The idea that a person can be outraged that a player is hitting home runs with extra help, but not get mad when a RB gets that edge to break an extra tackle to score the game winning TD just makes me roll my eyes.

Quote:
Do we know it was steroids Von Miller took? Here it explicitly says what Von tested postive for is unknown. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/94...ension-sources

Keep in mind whether steriiods or not, all NFL substance violations are 4 games. That includes all illegal narcotics (even marijuana) and hundreds of OTC supplements that most people would take without incident.
Miller tested positive for Amphetimines(most likely Adderall or Greenies) and Marijuana(your link says Amphetimines and Steroids, another i read said marijuana. Probably one of the two). While Adderall is not a steroid, it's a PED all the same(Mental proformance is just as important as physical). A linebacker who gets that extra split second of concentration, thus being able to recognize the play quicker than someone else is at a distinct advantage over another player, and can lead to a game changing interception or fumble. To me it's no different than these guys using PEDs and recovering from a workout quicker.