White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 AM
WSI Regular

Default Sox are interested in a Cuban pitcher

Jesse Sanchez@JesseSanchezMLB12h
Source: #Indians, #Marlins, #WhiteSox among those interested in Cuban RHP Leandro Linares, 19. He'll fall under CBA int'l signing guidelines
Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Banned

Well, he is represented by Jaime Torres, who we have signed a few Cuban free agents through.

The guy is supposedly looking at big big big money. With the way international signings are now, and the fines incurred for signing over your amount, not to mention the loss of the ability to sign next year...I would be shocked - I mean absolutely floored - if we signed this guy.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The guy is supposedly looking at big big big money. With the way international signings are now, and the fines incurred for signing over your amount, not to mention the loss of the ability to sign next year...I would be shocked - I mean absolutely floored - if we signed this guy.
You don't really lose the ability to sign international free agents. It just limits the amount you can throw at a prospect to either 500,000 or 250,000 depending on the previous year's overage. It really isn't that harsh of a penalty, which is why the Cubs and Rangers had few qualms about exceeding their pool this year.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
You don't really lose the ability to sign international free agents. It just limits the amount you can throw at a prospect to either 500,000 or 250,000 depending on the previous year's overage. It really isn't that harsh of a penalty, which is why the Cubs and Rangers had few qualms about exceeding their pool this year.
Well, you won't sign any of the top guys for that...

I think this is moot. He's expected to contribute this season. Someone is going to give this kid a $30 - 50 million dollar contract. And the tax penalties on that would be through the roof.

Here, this page describes it pretty well. You're paying double for overage of your budget exceeding 15%. http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...ational-draft/
Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well, you won't sign any of the top guys for that...

I think this is moot. He's expected to contribute this season. Someone is going to give this kid a $30 - 50 million dollar contract. And the tax penalties on that would be through the roof.
You have the wrong Cuban pitcher. This one is a little cheaper.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
You have the wrong Cuban pitcher. This one is a little cheaper.
Ah. I assumed this was the guy that defected yesterday
Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Ah. I assumed this was the guy that defected yesterday
You still have the wrong guy, there are 3 right now:

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez - SP - is supposedly a BEAST and could be a Contreras who goes right to the pros, no INTL signing bonus needed, hes a true FA

Leandro Linares - SP - Young Cuban arm, solid talent, but not as polished, more of a true prospect

Misael Siverio - P - defected this week during the Cuban trip.....And from what his coach says, he is not really that good, he is just left handed. He was not a major part of their roster, but thinks he is going to make the bigs.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
You still have the wrong guy, there are 3 right now:

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez - SP - is supposedly a BEAST and could be a Contreras who goes right to the pros, no INTL signing bonus needed, hes a true FA

Leandro Linares - SP - Young Cuban arm, solid talent, but not as polished, more of a true prospect

Misael Siverio - P - defected this week during the Cuban trip.....And from what his coach says, he is not really that good, he is just left handed. He was not a major part of their roster, but thinks he is going to make the bigs.
Hahaha I give up
Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 PM
WSI Regular

Jesse Sanchez@JesseSanchezMLB1m
#Indians near deal with RHP Leando Linares, 19, of Cuba. He is subject to CBA international signing guidelines. http://wp.me/p1rXTf-8tCw