White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1983
Anyone else see this SunTimes article by Dan McGrath (who?) in regards to the MLB special on him?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...harrelson.html

I didn't see/hear about it until Stoney asked Hawk about it early in the game today. Hawk goes on a rant about McGrath and then mentions Mariotti, and Boers/Bernstein as well. Classic Hawk

I didn't hear what Harrelson said about McGrath's review/critique/whatever, but I think if McGrath has any agenda it's to pay back the hits he took when he was the Tribune's sports editor.

He freelances now for the Sun-Times since he left the Tribune and in at least one other piece he wrote a while back he alluded to shots he and the Tribune took for their relationship with the Cubs. His complaint today was that the program wasn't a documentary because it didn't do any fact-checking or provide any challenges to Harrelson's stories. Ironic, since that was one of the complaints we all had when our anti-Tribune fervor was at its peak.

I think he missed the point of the show. It wasn't supposed to be a hard-hitting documentary or an exposť revealing that Harrelson's conversations with Howard Cosell or Rocky Marciano never happened. It was just a program highlighting a colorful baseball character with some great stories.

Please. I mean, if McGrath is so concerned about debunking legends and folk tales, let's go back to Babe Ruth or Satchel Paige or Leo Durocher and see how accurate their stories were. Colonel McCormick would be proud.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Somber Doc

McGrath: Irrelevant, fluffy "documentary" about Hawk Harrelson can't
compare to the hard-hitting objectivity and realism of "This Old Cub"
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Somber Doc

Excellent!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI High Priest

McGrath was wrong on several fronts.

1. That Hawk never praises the opposing players in a series....that is such BS. Hawk has probably said 100 times this year that Miggy Cabrera could be the greatest hitter of all time...no praise? He gushes about opposing players constantly,to where I got sick of hearing how great Punta was.
McGrath is wrong.

2. Hawk is not self-depracating.....***? He constantly says that he would have no shot vs Stoney curve ball. Or that he could not hit certain pitchers with a canoe paddle. He talks of some of his exploits on the field but does not dwell on them as much as the greats, Mantle,Howard,ect.

3. McGrath calls him a liar....prove it,Danny Boy. He basically accuses Hawk of making up stories with famous people,but if he is going to do that,he better have some evidence of this....he does not cite anything.

B & B are turds. They hate Hawk. They are the ultimate in thin-skin.
Now, they love to hammer Hawk constantly.
Bernstein says that all of Hawk stories are made up,period.
He is saying it right now.
Again....show me,Danny boy.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
B & B are turds.
This is all you need to say about them.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Somber Doc

Awesome.

You know, one of the things that amuses me about Hawk's fiercest critics is how they like to compare him to Vin Scully. "Scully would never do this ... Can you imagine Scully doing that? .... Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

Let's be clear about one thing: Hawk is not Scully and Scully is not Hawk. And there's nothing wrong with that. Why does Hawk need to be more like Scully? He is who he is.

I think there are some perfectly legitimate criticisms of Hawk out there. The fact that he isn't like Vin Scully is not among them. That is just stupid.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Awesome.

You know, one of the things that amuses me about Hawk's fiercest critics is how they like to compare him to Vin Scully. "Scully would never do this ... Can you imagine Scully doing that? .... Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

Let's be clear about one thing: Hawk is not Scully and Scully is not Hawk. And there's nothing wrong with that. Why does Hawk need to be more like Scully? He is who he is.

I think there are some perfectly legitimate criticisms of Hawk out there. The fact that he isn't like Vin Scully is not among them. That is just stupid.
Very well stated.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1983 View Post
Anyone else see this SunTimes article by Dan McGrath (who?) in regards to the MLB special on him?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...harrelson.html

I didn't see/hear about it until Stoney asked Hawk about it early in the game today. Hawk goes on a rant about McGrath and then mentions Mariotti, and Boers/Bernstein as well. Classic Hawk
Pretty useless article and not very well written or with a consistent point of you- Dan McGrath isn't going to make anyone forget Ring Lardner.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
McGrath was wrong on several fronts.

1. That Hawk never praises the opposing players in a series....that is such BS. Hawk has probably said 100 times this year that Miggy Cabrera could be the greatest hitter of all time...no praise? He gushes about opposing players constantly,to where I got sick of hearing how great Punta was.
McGrath is wrong.

2. Hawk is not self-depracating.....***? He constantly says that he would have no shot vs Stoney curve ball. Or that he could not hit certain pitchers with a canoe paddle. He talks of some of his exploits on the field but does not dwell on them as much as the greats, Mantle,Howard,ect.

3. McGrath calls him a liar....prove it,Danny Boy. He basically accuses Hawk of making up stories with famous people,but if he is going to do that,he better have some evidence of this....he does not cite anything.

You hit on everything I felt after reading that pile of trash McGrath wrote. Also, MacNeil and Spiegel had the producer of the Hawk documentary on as a guest and Spiegel tried to hint that maybe Hawk made up some of his stories about being offered the Red Sox manager job twice. The producer said they checked with Red Sox beat writers from that era who confirmed what Hawk was saying was absolutely true. The producer said they never encountered any evidence that suggested Hawk was lying during his documentary. They said you could tell that Hawk was "reliving" the moments when telling the stories and not just remembering them. Spiegel backed off the accusations after that.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I'll wait for McGrath's review of the three minute Len Kasper documentary coming to a theater soon, in which Len talks about the time he purchased not one, but two, take-and-bake pizzas from Costco and filled up his gas all in the same trip.
LOL!!!

Could Kasper's announcing be any more boring? He seems like a great guy, but I'd shoot myself in the head if I had to listen to him for three hours everyday.

Does anyone know when the Hawk doc is being shown again?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
They really don't. When you hear them talk about people like the Paternos or Steve Alford, that's hate. They find Hawk to be great comedic fodder and a poor announcer. I can't really disagree with them on either. I am one of the few on WSI who enjoy B&B and what astounds me is how everyone who hates them seems to know so much of what goes on during their show.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
They really don't. When you hear them talk about people like the Paternos or Steve Alford, that's hate. They find Hawk to be great comedic fodder and a poor announcer. I can't really disagree with them on either. I am one of the few on WSI who enjoy B&B and what astounds me is how everyone who hates them seems to know so much of what goes on during their show.
I agree that they do not hate Hawk with the intensity of Alford or Paterno,but they have great disdain for him,at minimum.

And of course,he now returns fire.
B & B are from the school,especially Bernstein,that there is not real joy in following sports,except for that brief moment when you win the championship.
To him,the rest is all garbage.
They hate fans,period. They think they are all stupid,period. If you are a fan,you are stupid. Sports are only to extract money from...for them.
Any yahoos who actually like the sport,or a team is a bumpkin.
Its their style,and I suspect they are not really liked by many,but the radio is set on the Score and people listen out of habit.