White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
So obsessed with the Cubs we are wondering how people would react if the Sox had got this group of prospects for Peavy?

It's a great haul.

I hope the Sox find a similar package for Peavy.
It's not a matter of being obsessed with the Cubs. Garza was probably the best pitcher available on the trade market. Now that he's off the board, Peavy is probably the best pitcher available.

At this point, it's perfectly reasonable to ask whether the Sox should pull the trigger on a Peavy deal if they get an offer similar to the one the Cubs got for Garza.

My answer is no, because I disagree with the idea that the Cubs got a "great haul." It's only a great haul because "Theo" was the one pulling the trigger on the deal.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Last edited by JB98; 07-23-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
It's all because of one name: Theo Epstein.
Much like Epstein, Andy McPhail rode into Chicago with two World Series under his belt as well. He did nothing with the Cubs.

I know that means nothing for Epstein, but I'm just saying past success is not a guarantee of future performance. There's really a lot of Kool-Aid drinking going on with Epstein. I expect that from Cubs fans, but the media cheerleading has gotten embarrassing. And it's even more embarrassing that some Sox fans are drinking the Kool-Aid as well.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
And it's even more embarrassing that some Sox fans are drinking the Kool-Aid as well.
Or some are Cub fans posing as White Sox fans......................
Old 07-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Or some are Cub fans posing as White Sox fans......................
That's such a ****ing childish attitude.

Keith Law on the prospects in the deal. Insider required.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
That's such a ****ing childish attitude.

Keith Law on the prospects in the deal. Insider required.
Keith Law is in the prospect business and the Rangers are one of his favs. So he needs to be discounted some, imo. He said we should trade Sale straight up for Profar....the dude likes prospects (and yes part of it is he sees Sale as an injury risk, but still that's absurdly low on Sale). And I think Peavy's more valuable in the trade market anyway (BTW, your Starks article didn't say otherwise).

And honestly, for a team that was said to be "Great" 2 years ago (a lot of hyperbole to be sure), and replete with talent on the farm, the Rangers are kind of hurting. They haven't gotten much out of their farm.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Much like Epstein, Andy McPhail rode into Chicago with two World Series under his belt as well. He did nothing with the Cubs.

I know that means nothing for Epstein, but I'm just saying past success is not a guarantee of future performance. There's really a lot of Kool-Aid drinking going on with Epstein. I expect that from Cubs fans, but the media cheerleading has gotten embarrassing. And it's even more embarrassing that some Sox fans are drinking the Kool-Aid as well.

Epstein has a honeymoon like Ive never seen before considering the resources behind him. The fans and media are not expecting much till near the end of his contract. Hes in the sweetest spot I can think of.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Keith Law is in the prospect business and the Rangers are one of his favs. So he needs to be discounted some, imo. He said we should trade Sale straight up for Profar....the dude likes prospects (and yes part of it is he sees Sale as an injury risk, but still that's absurdly low on Sale). And I think Peavy's more valuable in the trade market anyway (BTW, your Starks article didn't say otherwise).

And honestly, for a team that was said to be "Great" 2 years ago (a lot of hyperbole to be sure), and replete with talent on the farm, the Rangers are kind of hurting. They haven't gotten much out of their farm.

My post contained to mostly unrelated ideas, was gonna post Law's opinion either way. I used to hate the guy, as most White Sox fans do, but after a while it became obvious that not only is he right more often that most when it comes to prospects, but he's never been wrong when it comes to us.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
My post contained to mostly unrelated ideas, was gonna post Law's opinion either way. I used to hate the guy, as most White Sox fans do, but after a while it became obvious that not only is he right more often that most when it comes to prospects, but he's never been wrong when it comes to us.
Never? You may want to go back and check what he initially said about Chris Sale.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/12/...out-chris-sale
Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Never? You may want to go back and check what he initially said about Chris Sale.
Pwned, as the kids say.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Keith Law is in the prospect business
He shouldn't be, he's awful...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
He shouldn't be, he's awful...

Ehhh, he is not terrible, but he works for ESPN, so he has to take sides and have wild opinions. Everyone always rails on Law because Law is super tough on the White Sox, but the White Sox farm has been a laughing stock for a long time, and the guys it has produced generally were not home grown, or guys who got a cup of coffee before a call up (Gordon, Sale).
Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Did we lose 100+ games last year?
Has Sale been a terrible first round draft choice?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did we lose 100+ games last year?
Has Sale been a terrible first round draft choice?
Correction...mostly right. Didn't read that piece on him hating Sale for breaking ball reasons. Knew about the injury stuff, but talking about that isn't going to add anything good to the conversation.

Did he predict 100+ losses for us last year? Maybe he was just a year early?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Agree - I don't see the great haul here for the Cubs, after I analyze it. Fading top prospect (been there, done that), a #5, possibly #4 starter, and A ball pitchers. Not what I'm looking for for Peavy.

The Cubs probably have a better roster...of course the Sox have been competitive for the last few years too. As for Theo's approach, I don't see how it differs from the Royals. Who are the studs on their ML roster? Rizzo? Uh, okay. Samardzijia? I see 3 equivalents on the Sox and one clearly better. Russel in the pen? He's pretty good. Castro - 3rd year slump. If these team wins in 2015 proceeding on this tract, fantastic for them. I know that a lot of people like this process of building teams....I just don't think it has a high success rate.
I'm looking for Peavy to actually pitch an entire season, something we haven't seen much of during his tenure with the Sox. Do you honestly think he'll be healthy all of 2014? Even if he is, do you think we'll have enough to seriously contend in 2014?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
but he works for ESPN
That pretty much sums it up.

I have never found any of his write-ups to be particularly insightful, nor do I find his scouting to be anything more than ordinary.