White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

It is funny that on a night Arod made his return, Quintana was on the hill for the White Sox.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
Bernstein can be interesting at times, but his sanctimonious, self-righteous attitude on sports and social topics gets really grating, and it's left completely unchecked thanks to a senile partner who looks like he's just happy to be there and doesn't feel any need to contribute or challenge his partner's comments.
I generally listen to Satellite Radio or podcasts in the car, but I happened to tune in a couple of weeks ago. Bernstein had Joe Sheehan (sp) on, who Bernstein apparently has a crush on. They were both kissing up Theo's ass when Sheehan said (exact quote) "right now, the Cubs are closer to a World Series than they were in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS." Bernstein agreed.

Click. Credibility out the window. Tuned in a little bit later to hear Bernstein talk about how the Cubs were going to "flip" Soriano. Not sure how you "flip" someone you've already paid $110 million to since 2007. Apparently Bernstein doesn't know the practical definition of "flip" (ie buy low, sell for profit short time later).

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
I don't mind them but their show would be better if they didn't take calls at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
If they didn't take calls, they'd lose what makes their show run. They love making others look stupid.
An earlier thread right here on WSI made the claim that callers who could be made to look stupid were given preference. We have them figured out, I'll say that. Know-it-all plus lazy grandpa with filthy mind. Good at basketball, faking it on hockey and not fooling anyone. I'm sort of the same myself but I don't pretend otherwise.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:02 AM
WSI Personality

So what does A-Rod want to get his suspension down to? 150 games?

It was interesting to hear his press conference because he didn't admit to anything yet he's already had to do this type of presser once before. I just can't believe that any Yankee fan or A-rod fan can believe anything this guy says or root for him in good faith.

Between Manziel and A-rod this has been a summer of guys just not getting it and painting a bad picture for sports.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:30 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I generally listen to Satellite Radio or podcasts in the car, but I happened to tune in a couple of weeks ago. Bernstein had Joe Sheehan (sp) on, who Bernstein apparently has a crush on. They were both kissing up Theo's ass when Sheehan said (exact quote) "right now, the Cubs are closer to a World Series than they were in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS." Bernstein agreed.

Click. Credibility out the window. Tuned in a little bit later to hear Bernstein talk about how the Cubs were going to "flip" Soriano. Not sure how you "flip" someone you've already paid $110 million to since 2007. Apparently Bernstein doesn't know the practical definition of "flip" (ie buy low, sell for profit short time later).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 AM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Where did this information come from? Terry's "guy" or Bernstein's "people"?
I don't remember I just know its not a new thought of theirs.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Actually, 2005 was the first year of the stricter steroid testing program that included random, offseason testing, and suspensions. And, in general, it worked; runs scored and homeruns in 2005 were at it's lowest point since 1993.
I searched this yesterday prior to posting and thought that - based on what I saw - the enhanced testing wasn't agreed to until just after the '05 season. Now, there may have been stricter testing in 2005 as well, but this is what I found when I looked it up, hence making the comment saying "there was little" in terms of a policy.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
But that's because basketball is really the only sport they know anything about. And in reality it's only Bernstein that knows anything about it, and Boers mostly just makes some caveman-like grunt of agreement with whatever point Bernstein makes.

Watching them try to discuss hockey during the Blackhawks' run was hilarious; neither of them had a clue what they were talking about, but they sure acted like they did. NHL would have to bring the FoxTrax puck back for senile Boers to even see what's going on on the rink.

Their Bears coverage to date has consisted of nothing but childish jabs at Marc Trestman and Phil Emery, both of whom are way more accomplished than those two clowns.

Bernstein can be interesting at times, but his sanctimonious, self-righteous attitude on sports and social topics gets really grating, and it's left completely unchecked thanks to a senile partner who looks like he's just happy to be there and doesn't feel any need to contribute or challenge his partner's comments.
No, he actually doesn't.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

Wow, I missed those exchanges. That's pretty brutal. That show actually used to be okay to listen to. It seems like in recent years they've just started mailing it in and don't really put much effort into the program. Probably a symptom of having done it for so long, especially with Boers. It really went downhill fast when Jason Goff left as producer to go do his own show in Atlanta.

And any time some new little tidbit comes out about the Sandusky/Penn State case, they re-hash the whole case over again for hours. Move on already. This is Chicago, not Pennsylvania. Everyone's moved on long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
An earlier thread right here on WSI made the claim that callers who could be made to look stupid were given preference. We have them figured out, I'll say that. Know-it-all plus lazy grandpa with filthy mind. Good at basketball, faking it on hockey and not fooling anyone. I'm sort of the same myself but I don't pretend otherwise.
I've heard that before as well from people who know 670 station employees. They definitely selectively screen callers to get a lot of morons on the air for Bernstein to skewer. Hell, they even took one drunken old idiot and made a weekly segment for him now where he "reviews" movies for them. It's incredibly lame.

Last edited by SouthSideMike; 08-06-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Wow, I missed those exchanges. That's pretty brutal. That show actually used to be okay to listen to. It seems like in recent years they've just started mailing it in and don't really put much effort into the program.
Few months ago there was a column where Bernstein answered questions from people. One of the questions was about the show and if Bernstein works a typical 8 hour day and his response was something along the lines of only being responsible for the 5 hours they are on the air and that he arrives to the station every day 20 minutes before going on. There's no prep, no meetings, nothing.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

When these guys gonna learn to buy from another source be it online or whatever as opposed to a "clinic" where there is paper trail?

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
I searched this yesterday prior to posting and thought that - based on what I saw - the enhanced testing wasn't agreed to until just after the '05 season. Now, there may have been stricter testing in 2005 as well, but this is what I found when I looked it up, hence making the comment saying "there was little" in terms of a policy.
A new, stricter drug testing policy was in place prior to the 2005 season.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...d-policy_x.htm

The changes from the drug testing policy put into place for 2005, going into 2006, were only for the severity of punishment. (E.G. 2005 had 10 game suspension for first time offenders, in 2006 it went up to 50, etc..)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
When these guys gonna learn to buy from another source be it online or whatever as opposed to a "clinic" where there is paper trail?

Or have a trusted person do their buying.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
If the system worked, these guys would have already been busted by a failed test. These suspensions are just illustrating that in fact, the system does not work. These guys all got away with it for years.
I stated in general the new policy worked. Of course some guys continued to cheat but the overall cheating/doping was not at the level prior to 2005. The fact that offensive numbers dropped dramatically starting with the 2005 season going forward shows that the new policy certainly had an affect on the game. Is the drug testing policy in place right now strict enough? Is it perfect? The answers to both questions is: Obviously not; but overall it's worked more than it hasn't.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosoxfan View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nesis/2619221/

Is this another opportunity to move ARios??? If so, let's not miss out.

Armando? Is he still around? I don't know how the Sox would benefit from a waiver deal beyond dumping his contract.