White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
WSI Guru

Default 2013 Astros: Most Profitable Team Ever

So sayeth Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexa...le-in-history/
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 PM
WSI Personality

I wonder if other teams will join them, and pay smaller salaries for bigger profits. And I wonder if that would constitute as collusion if that happened.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
I wonder if other teams will join them, and pay smaller salaries for bigger profits. And I wonder if that would constitute as collusion if that happened.
I thought so to at first, but it's not sustainable. No one wants to see a perpetually bad team that doesn't even bother to hide the fact the only reason the owner is in the game is to make money.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
I thought so to at first, but it's not sustainable. No one wants to see a perpetually bad team that doesn't even bother to hide the fact the only reason the owner is in the game is to make money.
Also, I fully expect the fans in Houston to revolt if a good portion of that profit isn't spent on improving the team.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
If you were an owner would you do that or go for the Gold?

All hail The Rick
Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Depends. Do I like the team? Or baseball at all?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
All the clubs are making money hand over fist. The vast majority of ownerships are in it for the money. The astros didnt hide their profits well and probably got too greedy. To do it right they should have put a little more in payroll and cry the poor mouth routine. Talk about about the fans having to come to park so they can put more in payroll. Throw out whatever smoke screens you can to cover up the profits coming in and the worth of a franchise increasing year after year. Most people are naive and believe the poor mouth jive.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Also, I fully expect the fans in Houston to revolt if a good portion of that profit isn't spent on improving the team.
How much more could they really do? They only teams that draw less than the Astros are the pair from Baseball Hell (Florida).

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
How much more could they really do? They only teams that draw less than the Astros are the pair from Baseball Hell (Florida).
Right now, people are still watching the games and buying merchandise (I assume, if they're pulling in a $100m profit, that money has to be coming from somewhere). If the team continues to sacrifice success for profit, fans will stop buying merchandise, they'll stop watching the games at all, and the team will lose sponsors. It won't be quick, but that profit will evaporate.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
If by Gold, you mean the World Series title, I'd go for the Gold.

The younger me would definitely have said "Screw the fans, gimme the $$$". But bad times have turned me into a God and karma fearing bloke, so there's no way I can screw the fans over like that.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Most of the profits are coming from that cable deal they signed in the offseason - ironically the channel that still can't be watched by over half of Houston's cable/sat subscribers.

They've invested tons into the draft, international players (they had the highest budget of all teams in both drafts) prospect trades and player development this year. Plus all but one of their minor league affiliates will be in the minor league playoffs.

But yes, they need spend a little in FA, three #1 picks three years straight are enough.

I'd say they need to ditch Carter and Wallace and bring in two decent middle of the order bats this offseason, not to mention get something remotely decent in the bullpen. Not saying they'll be good but 85-95 losses are better that what they're doing now.

EDIT - Astros owner rebuts: linky

Last edited by russ99; 08-27-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Most of the profits are coming from that cable deal they signed in the offseason - ironically the channel that still can't be watched by over half of Houston's cable/sat subscribers.

They've invested tons into the draft, international players (they had the highest budget of all teams in both drafts) prospect trades and player development this year. Plus all but one of their minor league affiliates will be in the minor league playoffs.

But yes, they need spend a little in FA, three #1 picks three years straight are enough.

I'd say they need to ditch Carter and Wallace and bring in two decent middle of the order bats this offseason, not to mention get something remotely decent in the bullpen. Not saying they'll be good but 85-95 losses are better that what they're doing now.

EDIT - Astros owner rebuts: linky
Agreed. I don't think this is a Loria/Marlins situation. Let's see where the Astros are in a couple of years.

I'm not advocating a total rebuild for the Sox, but it wouldn't shock me if the Astros are back in the playoffs before the Sox are.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Right now, people are still watching the games and buying merchandise (I assume, if they're pulling in a $100m profit, that money has to be coming from somewhere). If the team continues to sacrifice success for profit, fans will stop buying merchandise, they'll stop watching the games at all, and the team will lose sponsors. It won't be quick, but that profit will evaporate.
No way! Those Jose Altuve jerseys will keep flying off the racks!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Maybe they won't be the most profitable team ever, but they will still turn a healthy profit, remember the Pirates were having no trouble making ends meet despite 20 or so consecutive losing seasons. Anybody who thinks any pro sports team in America isn't doing AMAZING in the money department is seriously na´ve.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, MLB merchandise sales are shared evenly between all the teams in the league.