Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 PM
WSI Regular

Default Avisail Garcia

I checked out some Tiger message boards when the trade when down, and there was a near-universal opinion that letting Garcia go was a bad idea (especially to us).

I've been enjoying watching him play and just checked his stats with the Sox since his call-up: .352 BA and .380 OBP. Yes, small sample size (19 games) but I haven't been this optimistic about a Sox outfielder since Magglio.

As miserable as this season has been, the emergence of Sale, the re-emergence of Beckham and the Garcia trade have me oddly optimistic about this team's fortunes.

Of course, I think I may have drunkenly posted something similar about Phegley after his first two games...
Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 PM
WSI High Priest

He definitely has the five-tool potential we've been hearing about. The only thing we hadn't seen yet is the power, but he took a pitch four inches inside and hit it out to straightaway center field last night.

I read about him back in the spring and was very happy that we got him, especially with Rios gone giving him a chance to play.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:41 PM
WSI High Priest

I'll be excited to see what he can do in a full season next year. He's exciting to watch!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Right now, it looks to have been a great trade for all three teams involved. Detroit got its long-term solution at shortstop and Boston got a front of the rotation starter for this year and next.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

It'll be interesting to see how he reacts when he starts getting busted inside a lot. He's slapping the ball all over on the outer half, so it's coming. Hopefully he can turn on some balls and park them in the bleachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
It'll be interesting to see how he reacts when he starts getting busted inside a lot. He's slapping the ball all over on the outer half, so it's coming. Hopefully he can turn on some balls and park them in the bleachers.
HR off Harrell on Wednesday was over the plate, but tailing in to him, and he took it deep. It was an absolute bomb, too, towering shot to the deepest part of the park.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM
WSI Personality

The guy has the goods for sure. He's going to be fun to watch for a long time.

260/300/400 is probably a realistic projection for next year. Hopefully we don't see a lot of overreaction to the fact that he won't be Trout or Harper in his first full season. He definitely has some flaws that need to be ironed out.

Anyway, I think he's an All-Star by 2016.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Right now, it looks to have been a great trade for all three teams involved. Detroit got its long-term solution at shortstop and Boston got a front of the rotation starter for this year and next.

I agree with you on Boston. I liked the effort Peavy gave the White Sox. But I saw an interesting interview with some Boston media the other day. They were talking about playoff rotation and they think Peavy might be their 4th starter. Lester has been really good lately and Bucchholz is due back next week. Now his health is certainly questionable. But these reporters feel Lackey would be the 3rd starter since he has a very good record in postseason whereas Peavy does not. I think Peavy may end up being their best starter in September.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM
WSI Prelate

By trading Peavy, the Sox got who they believe is an A+ prospect. That's all you can ask for in that situation.
I think the market was still stunned from the fallback from the Will Myers and Seguara grades and GMS weren't going to risk that.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Speaking of stats, how's his TWTW look so far?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
By running into the wall the other day he proved he's one of the league leaders in TWTW, that or he hasn't figured out the feel of the US Cellular outfield yet.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
By running into the wall the other day he proved he's one of the league leaders in TWTW, that or he hasn't figured out the feel of the US Cellular outfield yet.
Robin said that he was dehydrated Saturday Night. If you understand manager talk, he was in no condition to know what he was doing when he ran into the wall on Sunday.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI Personality

When I watched Avisail Garcia with Detroit against the Sox in what I think was his ML debut I shook my head and said, "Why can't the Sox have a prospect like that guy?" Seems like Hahn had the same thought. Then after his first few games with the Sox I began to think he was the second coming of Dayan Viciedo (too many strikeouts and clueless outfield play). Since then I have changed my mind (Duh!) The turning point was when he ran out that routine bouncer to short that wasn't even mishandled, for a hit. Rios might have already been back to the bench by the time the ball got to first. I am really looking forward to watching him develop -- hoping he doesn't suffer without the mentoring by Miguel Cabrera that he seemed to be getting with the Tigers. (May have been brief but maybe valuable anyway, in the way he seems happy to go with the pitch and not try to pull everything.)

Truth to tell, as a long-time fan of Luis Aparicio, Ozzie Guillen, and Juan Uribe, I am just as excited by what I have seen from the other Garcia. He looks as quick as Uribe, as smooth as Aparicio, and if only he is as smart as Ozzie he will be around for a long time. Not hitting .190 of course, but even without a hit he had a dramatic offensive impact on his only game so far for the Sox.

Kudos to Hahn. From my narrow point of view he has already turned the team around in terms of interest and optimism. Now if only Adam Dunn could get his chance to play in this years post-season, say, for the Yankees, I would be one happy fan of a losing team.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Apparently it's better than Rios', even though Rios has better offensive numbers and has better right-field defensive skills.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Apparently it's better than Rios', even though Rios has better offensive numbers and has better right-field defensive skills.
Obviously the sample size for Avisail is pretty small thus far, but his slash rates are signifcantly better than Rios' were this season.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.