White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default September Roster Expansion Speculation Thread

We're two days away from roster expansion. Aside from than the usual suspects (e.g. Morel, Tekotte, Gimenez, [gulp] Troncoso, Castro etc.), are the Sox going to bring up anyone who might be part of their long-term plan? This morning, the Tribune speculated that Erik Johnson likely won't get a September look.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
We're two days away from roster expansion. Aside from than the usual suspects (e.g. Morel, Tekotte, Gimenez, [gulp] Troncoso, Castro etc.), .
No reason to bring up any of those guys. Why would we want to give any of them PT? Take the free call-up for the young players.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Call ups cost the Sox money. I see very few being called up.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 AM
WSI Personality

Per this article, catcher Bryan Anderson and Charlie Leesman will join the team on Sunday and more could be joining the team in New York on Monday.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
Per this article, catcher Bryan Anderson and Charlie Leesman will join the team on Sunday and more could be joining the team in New York on Monday.
BA is back!
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 PM
WSI Prelate

I guess Erik Johnson needs to get his ERA below 1.00 before he gets the call up.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 09-01-2013, 02:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
I guess Erik Johnson needs to get his ERA below 1.00 before he gets the call up.
Charlotte's final two games before they relocate to, well, uh, Charlotte next season (Knights Stadium is in Rock Hill, SC; new ballpark in downtown Charlotte is set to open next spring) are tonight and tomorrow afternoon. Maybe Johnson is starting one of those? The link in the article said more players will be called up tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 PM
WSI Regular

I was going to say Marcus Semien, but looks like he's heading to the Arizona fall league, and Leury Garcia's already here to back up the infield spots.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Call ups cost the Sox money. I see very few being called up.
Have you read that someplace? Not saying you're wrong, just saying I haven't read or heard anything implying the Sox will limit September call-ups due to financial considerations.

Seems like a small pricetag to bring a guy up for a month.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
BA is back!
The return of a player named Bryan (Albeit with a "Y" instead of an "I") Anderson shall set the WSI boards afire once again!!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Rienzo is not the answer for this rotation. Hope Johnson gets a crack at 5 starts before the season ends.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
Have you read that someplace? Not saying you're wrong, just saying I haven't read or heard anything implying the Sox will limit September call-ups due to financial considerations.

Seems like a small pricetag to bring a guy up for a month.

The reasons for bringing up someone in september are a longer bench in a playoff run, to rest a aging vet so hes well prepared for next year, a test for a minor leaguer who is in the plans for next year and filling a position because of injury. Bringing up the likes of Morel, Tekotte, Gimenez,Troncoso, Castro means meal money, minimum mlb salary, housing and travel which adds up and makes no sense. I see very few if any minor league position players that should be in the mix of making the big league club next year. The Sox currently have enough young pitchers to look at on the staff. The Sox have never been one that pisses money away and this would basically be that. And no I have not read this and I doubt they would ever say this due to the bad PR it would bring but it does make sense.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The reasons for bringing up someone in september are a longer bench in a playoff run, to rest a aging vet so hes well prepared for next year, a test for a minor leaguer who is in the plans for next year and filling a position because of injury. Bringing up the likes of Morel, Tekotte, Gimenez,Troncoso, Castro means meal money, minimum mlb salary, housing and travel which adds up and makes no sense. I see very few if any minor league position players that should be in the mix of making the big league club next year. The Sox currently have enough young pitchers to look at on the staff. The Sox have never been one that pisses money away and this would basically be that. And no I have not read this and I doubt they would ever say this due to the bad PR it would bring but it does make sense.
Some of the players you mentioned will be getting paid as major leaguers whether or not they are called up in September, meal money and travel expenses notwithstanding. While contenders bring up potential role players, even non-contending teams should expand their pitching staffs. It isn't just a matter of looking at players for the future. Most teams, certainly the White Sox,l have been in games this year where they ran out of pitchers and needed to use pitchers in games where they didn't want to use them. Of course, ever team expands their catching.which the Sox are doing.

The White Sox don't need to call up a Darren Ford to pinch run, and there might not be many prospects the Sox want to break into the majors, but expeanding the roster can help the Sox get through the season in as close to one piece as possible.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

CSN's Dan Hayes has reported that IF Marcus Semien, catcher Miguel Gonzalez and pitchers Erik Johnson and Daniel Webb all have nameplates up in the Sox clubhouse.

Have to see what Semien can do along with L.Garcia. With Flowers needing surgery, Gonzalez is a no-brainer. I'm looking forward to seeing what Johnson does with this opportunity. If he can work to be a 3 or 4 starter, that would be great.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Have to see what Semien can do along with L.Garcia. With Flowers needing surgery, Gonzalez is a no-brainer. I'm looking forward to seeing what Johnson does with this opportunity. If he can work to be a 3 or 4 starter, that would be great.
Ditto on all counts. I just hope Semien can get regular at bats if we are pulling him away from a big confidence building season in the minors.