White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Obviously the sample size for Avisail is pretty small thus far, but his slash rates are signifcantly better than Rios' were this season.
They weren't on the day Rios was sent to the Rangers.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
They weren't on the day Rios was sent to the Rangers.
So you'd rather the Sox kept Rios even after acquiring A. Garcia?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Garcia is the best prospect on the Sox since Maggs...and I like him better due to speed and size.

Love watching him play...which is hard to put a price on...
Old 08-31-2013, 12:34 PM
WSI Regular

He's definitely given us fans something fun to watch and look forward to, which is no small feat given how this season's gone.

The inning the other night against the Astros where both Garcias put their skills on display (Leury's speed and Avisail's hitting) was probably the funnest inning I've watched all year.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Garcia is the best prospect on the Sox since Maggs...and I like him better due to speed and size.
And, of course, the great Jeff Abbott was a much more highly regarded prospect than was Magglio! Garcia has a chance to be really, really good. I'm looking forward to watching him develop.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
So you'd rather the Sox kept Rios even after acquiring A. Garcia?
I don't see how that could possibly be the conclusion of what I wrote.

While posters here have been ridiculing Ken Harrelson's "will to win" comment, mostly arguing they would rather have numbers, they failed to notice the player on the team who pretty much had the best all-around offensive numbers wasn't really helping the Sox because he didn't seem to care about winning to a large degree. He didn't have the will to win. He came out strong after he was benched for a game because he didn't run out a ground ball that cost the Sox a run and possibly a game. He had a good series against the Sox in Chicago when he was motivated to show what he could do. The Blue Jays signed him to a huge contract because of his talents. The White Sox picked up his contract without giving up any players because of his talents. But if you've watched Rios play this season and watched Garcia play since he was brought up, you can compare more than their talents.

I'm not a Ken Harrelson fan, but anyone dismissing that comment should have taken a look at Rios to get a better understanding of what he was saying.

Maybe Rios will find motivation with the Rangers, but if you've watched him play since he signed that huge contract, you can see he doesn't have much of an inherent will to win.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't see how that could possibly be the conclusion of what I wrote.

While posters here have been ridiculing Ken Harrelson's "will to win" comment, mostly arguing they would rather have numbers, they failed to notice the player on the team who pretty much had the best all-around offensive numbers wasn't really helping the Sox because he didn't seem to care about winning to a large degree. He didn't have the will to win. He came out strong after he was benched for a game because he didn't run out a ground ball that cost the Sox a run and possibly a game. He had a good series against the Sox in Chicago when he was motivated to show what he could do. The Blue Jays signed him to a huge contract because of his talents. The White Sox picked up his contract without giving up any players because of his talents. But if you've watched Rios play this season and watched Garcia play since he was brought up, you can compare more than their talents.

I'm not a Ken Harrelson fan, but anyone dismissing that comment should have taken a look at Rios to get a better understanding of what he was saying.

Maybe Rios will find motivation with the Rangers, but if you've watched him play since he signed that huge contract, you can see he doesn't have much of an inherent will to win.
You responded to a quote that said Garcia's current slash rates were higher than Rios' by stating they weren't on the day Rios was traded to the Rangers. Since you were making a statistical comparison I thought you were arguing for keeping Rios due to his superior slash line compared to Garcia on the day Rios was traded. My apologies for making an incorrect inference that statistical comparison was your intent.