White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I was watching that earlier and what I thought was interesting was at some point Harry said that the broadcast could not be retransmitted without "the express written permission of the Chicago American League ball club," not MLB.
It wasn't that long ago that changed, I remember hearing that watching games growing up ~20 years ago.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 PM
WSI Guru

Watching this '81 game between the Angels and Sox is like going back in a time machine. This was the first Sox team I really followed. That lineup was stacked, at least through the first seven. I'm skipping around, but I landed on the top of the 5th where the Sox batted around (Joe McConnell, btw, doing solo commentary). It is an amazing difference to what we see now. Pitching changes aren't followed by mandatory commercial breaks or sponsored. This was my favorite Sox uniform combination for that time period, I think they wore the dark tops and white pants exclusively on the road. Chet Lemon and Harold Baines hitting back to back in the order is a great memory. Squires in the 2-hole seemed like a good fit too.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 PM
WSI Guru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_x-LdxGew

I've been skipping around these videos all weekend. Check out the video above (Sox vs. Orioles from 1981) and skip to about 2 hr 36 min when Harry is doing the "10th inning show" and interviews Reinsdorf and Einhorn in the booth about the 1981 season. Einhorn has some prophetic comments about the Cubs and says the Sox are not competing against them. Pretty surreal to watch those three guys together in the booth.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_x-LdxGew

I've been skipping around these videos all weekend. Check out the video above (Sox vs. Orioles from 1981) and skip to about 2 hr 36 min when Harry is doing the "10th inning show" and interviews Reinsdorf and Einhorn in the booth about the 1981 season. Einhorn has some prophetic comments about the Cubs and says the Sox are not competing against them. Pretty surreal to watch those three guys together in the booth.
Yea Harry was really kissin their butts back then. What interested me was even back then, them saying how much they were involved, talking to Hemond and larussa almost daily. No matter how old the cat gets, those spots never change.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
Very cool. Harry ripping on the Sox for bunting in the first inning at 7:30. Ahead of his time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC43t...w3h1vRpsznVUMA

I never remembered pre-Cubs Harry so it's amazing to here him as a coherent, thinking person.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck