White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Six-Man Rotation

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN
Could be makeshift version but sounds like 6-man rotation for #WhiteSox rest of way.
Robin Ventura said nobody likely to go on 4 days again.

Chicago Tribune
Ventura said that the Sox will likely use a modified six-man rotation for the rest of the season. That could include left-hander Charlie Leesman, who was called up Sunday.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN
Could be makeshift version but sounds like 6-man rotation for #WhiteSox rest of way.
Robin Ventura said nobody likely to go on 4 days again.

Chicago Tribune
Ventura said that the Sox will likely use a modified six-man rotation for the rest of the season. That could include left-hander Charlie Leesman, who was called up Sunday.
So if it includes Leesman isn't that 7?

Sale, Danks, Quintana, Santiago, Rienzo, Johnson, Leesman

Or are one of the above not rotation options?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Works for me, keeps Sale off the mound and we get a look at the new kid.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM
WSI High Priest

So is the Sox theory we never pitch Sale a full season until the team is contending, and then we just hope he can go the full year plus playoffs?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
So is the Sox theory we never pitch Sale a full season until the team is contending, and then we just hope he can go the full year plus playoffs?
The difference between what he misses this year and in a full season will negligible.

My thought was of the belief that the less he's on the mound the less likely he is to get his in the head with a liner or mess up his elbow/shoulder overthrowing a fastball (aka: Peavy-ing), not necessarily a fatigue related injury.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Or the Sox have such a big lead he won't have to pitch a full season.

Or he will be 35 before we contend again and by then he will be stretched out.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
In my opinion, this is the wrong approach. If you want to keep Sale on a pitch count at this time of the year when you're out of it, that's fine. In fact, Rick Hahn was on The Score's final Hit & Run show of the season on Sunday morning and said Sale is on a "relaxed pitch count of 110." I'm OK with that. However, shutting him down altogether is silly because, like you said, how is he ever going to be stretched out to the point where he can pitch effectively into October? We saw what happened last September when Sale was pitching in uncharted territory; he was ineffective. Presumably, the Sox will eventually get back to the playoffs at some point during Sale's current five-year contract and when they do, they're going to need an effective and dominant Chris Sale if they want to be successful.
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
In my opinion, this is the wrong approach. If you want to keep Sale on a pitch count at this time of the year when you're out of it, that's fine. In fact, Rick Hahn was on The Score's final Hit & Run show of the season on Sunday morning and said Sale is on a "relaxed pitch count of 110." I'm OK with that. However, shutting him down altogether is silly because, like you said, how is he ever going to be stretched out to the point where he can pitch effectively into October? We saw what happened last September when Sale was pitching in uncharted territory; he was ineffective. Presumably, the Sox will eventually get back to the playoffs at some point during Sale's current five-year contract and when they do, they're going to need an effective and dominant Chris Sale if they want to be successful.

Im in agreement with that.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
So if it includes Leesman isn't that 7?

Sale, Danks, Quintana, Santiago, Rienzo, Johnson, Leesman

Or are one of the above not rotation options?
Unless they flip flop guys to give them a breather (ie Santiago is starting to look wiped out).

Week 1: Sale, Danks, Quintana, Rienzo, Johnson, Leesman
Week 2: Sale, Danks, Santiago, Rienzo, Johnson, Leesman

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
Many subcribe to the theory that pitchers get better by not pitching. It never made sense to me. Although limiting a pitcher's number of innings certainly limits a pitcher's chance of being hit with a line drive or being injured while covering first, I've never seen a pitcher's season-long skills improve after being shut down to limit his innings. It isn't as if outs that Sale gets this year are outs he doesn't get next year.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Many subcribe to the theory that pitchers get better by not pitching. It never made sense to me. Although limiting a pitcher's number of innings certainly limits a pitcher's chance of being hit with a line drive or being injured while covering first, I've never seen a pitcher's season-long skills improve after being shut down to limit his innings. It isn't as if outs that Sale gets this year are outs he doesn't get next year.
I was watching Red Sox/Tigers last night and announcer was talking about Lester. He dominated Tigers last night. Red Sox shut Lester down for 2 weeks during the All Star break since he hit a rough stretch after starting out really well. He has been pretty dominant since they rested him for 2 weeks.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI High Priest

I am fine with stretching out the rotation ....want to see Johnson tonite.

Sale is ramping up to a new innings level...a step at a time...good.

Same with Quintana(who got tired last year at this point) and Santiago.

Building these guys up from minors or bullpen over a couple of years is smart.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I was watching Red Sox/Tigers last night and announcer was talking about Lester. He dominated Tigers last night. Red Sox shut Lester down for 2 weeks during the All Star break since he hit a rough stretch after starting out really well. He has been pretty dominant since they rested him for 2 weeks.
Giving a pitcher more rest between starts is not the same thing as shutting down a pitcher for the season with hopes that pitching less this year will make him a better pitcher in the future.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I am fine with stretching out the rotation ....want to see Johnson tonite.

Sale is ramping up to a new innings level...a step at a time...good.

Same with Quintana(who got tired last year at this point) and Santiago.

Building these guys up from minors or bullpen over a couple of years is smart.
I agree with this. It's not shutting Sale down, just tapering him off a bit. He's been increasing his work load more and more each year. For whatever reasons pitchers are more fragile, less durable than before. You have to address this on a case by case pitcher by pitcher basis.