White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 935
Default How They Handle a Trespassing Blue Jays Fan

A Blue Jays fan ran onto the field during the Mariners-Blue Jays game on May 5th. The police report, prosecutor and defense comments are a scream.

Police report and prosecutor's comments
Defense attorney comments

Figured there would be many on this forum who could sympathize with this poor guy.
__________________
"It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2013, 12:24 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
A Blue Jays fan ran onto the field during the Mariners-Blue Jays game on May 5th. The police report, prosecutor and defense comments are a scream.

Police report and prosecutor's comments
Defense attorney comments

Figured there would be many on this forum who could sympathize with this poor guy.
That police report can't be real, right?!?

"Luckily, he was seated in the 100 section so he wasn't forced to jump from the 500 level out of sheer frustration" ?!?
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 962
Default

I know there have been some bad incidents with fans running onto a field but I think MLB has gone a little far with penaltys towards it. It's almost refreshing to see Toronto not treat this guy like he just shot the President.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 6,244
Default

Pretty funny police report. Are you sure the arresting officer's name wasn't Frank Drebin.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,161
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I know there have been some bad incidents with fans running onto a field but I think MLB has gone a little far with penaltys towards it. It's almost refreshing to see Toronto not treat this guy like he just shot the President.
I guess it's funny if you're not Tom Gamboa who lost his job, has permanent hearing loss and pretty much lost his dignity. What an idiotic comment.
__________________


2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 AM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I guess it's funny if you're not Tom Gamboa who lost his job, has permanent hearing loss and pretty much lost his dignity. What an idiotic comment.
I think your dwelling on one bad incident. Fans used to run onto ballfields for decades and nowdays it's a felony. The Sox won the division in 83 and fans rushed the field and I don't recall anyone making a big deal over it. Apparently you would though. I don't think my comment is idiotic either.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,161
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I think your dwelling on one bad incident. Fans used to run onto ballfields for decades and nowdays it's a felony. The Sox won the division in 83 and fans rushed the field and I don't recall anyone making a big deal over it. Apparently you would though. I don't think my comment is idiotic either.
Running onto the field after the game is different than running onto the field during the game. The former ceased because it is too costly to repair what are now multi million dollar playing surfaces. Your comment is idiotic on the level of saying TSA should be removed because most people don't have any intention of bringing box cutters onto a plane and hijacking it into a skyscraper. The Gamboa incident caught MLB with its pants down. Saying that you are entertained by watching people run onto the field is a meatball line of thinking. All it does is delay the game which is already too long due to extended commercial breaks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I guess it's funny if you're not Tom Gamboa who lost his job, has permanent hearing loss and pretty much lost his dignity. What an idiotic comment.
That didn't happen because a fan ran on the field, it happened because a fan attacked him.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Running onto the field after the game is different than running onto the field during the game. The former ceased because it is too costly to repair what are now multi million dollar playing surfaces. Your comment is idiotic on the level of saying TSA should be removed because most people don't have any intention of bringing box cutters onto a plane and hijacking it into a skyscraper. The Gamboa incident caught MLB with its pants down. Saying that you are entertained by watching people run onto the field is a meatball line of thinking. All it does is delay the game which is already too long due to extended commercial breaks.
I do think it's kinda funny when a fan runs on the field but I do think there should be punishment. I just think it's refreshing that Toronto seems to treat this kind of behavior like America did 20 or 30 years ago. Giving a guy a felony for running on a field is pretty harsh and it's not like it deters people from doing it. If baseball wanted to deter fans from running onto the field they should stop selling alcohol at games.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.