White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM
wassagstdu wassagstdu is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 1,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
On CSN, it was reported that Flowers started feeling the pain about a year ago but DID NOT TELL ANYONE until last week. He wanted to play through it because of the opportunity being presented to him. What "due diligence" did the Sox fail to perform? If were Flowers, I might have done the same thing given that the Sox would have signed someone to be the starter in my place for 2013 if there was a question about my shoulder.
Not what the Tribune says. "Flowers said he first tweaked his shoulder a year ago and was put on a program for pitchers with shoulder injuries."
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
Not what the Tribune says. "Flowers said he first tweaked his shoulder a year ago and was put on a program for pitchers with shoulder injuries."
Ok, we've got mixed reports.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount prospect
Posts: 4,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
Not what the Tribune says. "Flowers said he first tweaked his shoulder a year ago and was put on a program for pitchers with shoulder injuries."
And your point is what, exactly? He tweaked his shoulder and they put him on a program to strengthen the shoulder. Is it your expectation that every time someone tweaks something that surgery should be performed? Because it seems to me that the Sox handled this properly. Flowers also had every opportunity to speak up and say something and he didn't because of the opportunity that was given to him.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
And your point is what, exactly? He tweaked his shoulder and they put him on a program to strengthen the shoulder. Is it your expectation that every time someone tweaks something that surgery should be performed? Because it seems to me that the Sox handled this properly. Flowers also had every opportunity to speak up and say something and he didn't because of the opportunity that was given to him.
But but but AJ!!!!!
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
And your point is what, exactly? He tweaked his shoulder and they put him on a program to strengthen the shoulder. Is it your expectation that every time someone tweaks something that surgery should be performed? Because it seems to me that the Sox handled this properly. Flowers also had every opportunity to speak up and say something and he didn't because of the opportunity that was given to him.
If he didn't speak up then why was he put in a program for pitchers with shoulder injuries? Also, assuming AJ would have been as productive on the Sox as he has been on the Rangers it certainly wouldn't have been close to a 30 game swing for the Sox. However it's certainly legitimate to point out that AJ's replacements have left a lot to be desired. Not worthy of the scorn and derision heaped upon the one posted as much.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:28 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,447
Default

The Sox completely mismanaged their catching situation over the past year. They absolutely butchered it, and they deserve every ounce of criticism they get.

First of all, Flowers sucks. Even an amateur like me knew before the season started he was going to be a complete disaster as an everyday player. He is not nearly as good a defender as the Sox claim he is, and he's horse**** at the plate. He did not "just need more at-bats," as so many said. His approach is awful, and the results reflected that.

On top of that, he was less than 100 percent coming into the season, and the Sox obviously knew that. They still chose to go into the year with him and a career minor-leaguer (Gimenez) as their "big-league" catching combo. Even a blind man could see this was going to be a complete fail.

Yes, I was one of the people who wanted to bring Pierzynski back. Yes, he's one of my favorite players. I make no apology for that. But I didn't want to bring him back to thank him for 2005 or any of the other smart-ass **** that people say. I wanted to bring him back because he's a far superior player to any of the **** the Sox have been trotting out behind the plate this year. This isn't second-guessing either. I've been saying it since before the season.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; Total: 125-99.
Next game: April 2015

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Yes, I was one of the people who wanted to bring Pierzynski back. Yes, he's one of my favorite players. I make no apology for that. But I didn't want to bring him back to thank him for 2005 or any of the other smart-ass **** that people say. I wanted to bring him back because he's a far superior player to any of the **** the Sox have been trotting out behind the plate this year. This isn't second-guessing either. I've been saying it since before the season.
And it's entirely possible the Sox could have brought him back and then done the same thing with Flowers in 2014. That would have sucked.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The Sox completely mismanaged their catching situation over the past year. They absolutely butchered it, and they deserve every ounce of criticism they get.

First of all, Flowers sucks. Even an amateur like me knew before the season started he was going to be a complete disaster as an everyday player. He is not nearly as good a defender as the Sox claim he is, and he's horse**** at the plate. He did not "just need more at-bats," as so many said. His approach is awful, and the results reflected that.

On top of that, he was less than 100 percent coming into the season, and the Sox obviously knew that. They still chose to go into the year with him and a career minor-leaguer (Gimenez) as their "big-league" catching combo. Even a blind man could see this was going to be a complete fail.

Yes, I was one of the people who wanted to bring Pierzynski back. Yes, he's one of my favorite players. I make no apology for that. But I didn't want to bring him back to thank him for 2005 or any of the other smart-ass **** that people say. I wanted to bring him back because he's a far superior player to any of the **** the Sox have been trotting out behind the plate this year. This isn't second-guessing either. I've been saying it since before the season.
Pretty much mirrors my feelings 100%. I did not feel comfortable at all going into the season with Flowers as the starter. I wanted them to bring AJ back, but I at least thought they should have brought in a more experienced vet to back up Flowers and take over once he started sucking.
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM
tebman's Avatar
tebman tebman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,585
Blog Entries: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The Sox completely mismanaged their catching situation over the past year. They absolutely butchered it, and they deserve every ounce of criticism they get.

First of all, Flowers sucks. Even an amateur like me knew before the season started he was going to be a complete disaster as an everyday player. He is not nearly as good a defender as the Sox claim he is, and he's horse**** at the plate. He did not "just need more at-bats," as so many said. His approach is awful, and the results reflected that.

On top of that, he was less than 100 percent coming into the season, and the Sox obviously knew that. They still chose to go into the year with him and a career minor-leaguer (Gimenez) as their "big-league" catching combo. Even a blind man could see this was going to be a complete fail.

Yes, I was one of the people who wanted to bring Pierzynski back. Yes, he's one of my favorite players. I make no apology for that. But I didn't want to bring him back to thank him for 2005 or any of the other smart-ass **** that people say. I wanted to bring him back because he's a far superior player to any of the **** the Sox have been trotting out behind the plate this year. This isn't second-guessing either. I've been saying it since before the season.


And we said it last December, too...

Quote:
Now ’05 is over – it’s seven years gone,
And now the decisions are made by Rick Hahn.
He likes Tyler Flowers and so do the scouts;
They’re oh so impressed by his many strikeouts.
A.J. was a grinder; the kind of a guy
Who actually hit when a fastball came by.
Pierzynski was more than a sentimental favorite -- he was a hell of a ballplayer. He'll never make the Hall of Fame but I've no doubt in my mind that an obstreperous guy like him is a difference-maker. There's absolutely no comparison between Flowers and Pierzynski, except as polar opposites.

Would A.J. have prevented this year's defensive meltdown? I don't know. But I do know he would've been much better in place of Flowers.
__________________
- tebman

Last edited by voodoochile; 09-04-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post


And we said it last December, too...

Quote:
Now ’05 is over – it’s seven years gone,
And now the decisions are made by Rick Hahn.
He likes Tyler Flowers and so do the scouts;
They’re oh so impressed by his many strikeouts.
A.J. was a grinder; the kind of a guy
Who actually hit when a fastball came by.
Pierzynski was more than a sentimental favorite -- he was a hell of a ballplayer. He'll never make the Hall of Fame but I've no doubt in my mind that an obstreperous guy like him is a difference-maker. There's absolutely no comparison between Flowers and Pierzynski, except as polar opposites.

Would A.J. have prevented this year's defensive meltdown? I don't know. But I do know he would've been much better in place of Flowers.
I had to look that one up in the dictionary. Great vocabulary!

Last edited by voodoochile; 09-04-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.