White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
On CSN, it was reported that Flowers started feeling the pain about a year ago but DID NOT TELL ANYONE until last week. He wanted to play through it because of the opportunity being presented to him. What "due diligence" did the Sox fail to perform? If were Flowers, I might have done the same thing given that the Sox would have signed someone to be the starter in my place for 2013 if there was a question about my shoulder.
Not what the Tribune says. "Flowers said he first tweaked his shoulder a year ago and was put on a program for pitchers with shoulder injuries."
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
Not what the Tribune says. "Flowers said he first tweaked his shoulder a year ago and was put on a program for pitchers with shoulder injuries."
Ok, we've got mixed reports.

All hail The Rick
Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
And your point is what, exactly? He tweaked his shoulder and they put him on a program to strengthen the shoulder. Is it your expectation that every time someone tweaks something that surgery should be performed? Because it seems to me that the Sox handled this properly. Flowers also had every opportunity to speak up and say something and he didn't because of the opportunity that was given to him.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
And your point is what, exactly? He tweaked his shoulder and they put him on a program to strengthen the shoulder. Is it your expectation that every time someone tweaks something that surgery should be performed? Because it seems to me that the Sox handled this properly. Flowers also had every opportunity to speak up and say something and he didn't because of the opportunity that was given to him.
But but but AJ!!!!!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
If he didn't speak up then why was he put in a program for pitchers with shoulder injuries? Also, assuming AJ would have been as productive on the Sox as he has been on the Rangers it certainly wouldn't have been close to a 30 game swing for the Sox. However it's certainly legitimate to point out that AJ's replacements have left a lot to be desired. Not worthy of the scorn and derision heaped upon the one posted as much.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:28 PM
WSI Guru

The Sox completely mismanaged their catching situation over the past year. They absolutely butchered it, and they deserve every ounce of criticism they get.

First of all, Flowers sucks. Even an amateur like me knew before the season started he was going to be a complete disaster as an everyday player. He is not nearly as good a defender as the Sox claim he is, and he's horse**** at the plate. He did not "just need more at-bats," as so many said. His approach is awful, and the results reflected that.

On top of that, he was less than 100 percent coming into the season, and the Sox obviously knew that. They still chose to go into the year with him and a career minor-leaguer (Gimenez) as their "big-league" catching combo. Even a blind man could see this was going to be a complete fail.

Yes, I was one of the people who wanted to bring Pierzynski back. Yes, he's one of my favorite players. I make no apology for that. But I didn't want to bring him back to thank him for 2005 or any of the other smart-ass **** that people say. I wanted to bring him back because he's a far superior player to any of the **** the Sox have been trotting out behind the plate this year. This isn't second-guessing either. I've been saying it since before the season.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Yes, I was one of the people who wanted to bring Pierzynski back. Yes, he's one of my favorite players. I make no apology for that. But I didn't want to bring him back to thank him for 2005 or any of the other smart-ass **** that people say. I wanted to bring him back because he's a far superior player to any of the **** the Sox have been trotting out behind the plate this year. This isn't second-guessing either. I've been saying it since before the season.
And it's entirely possible the Sox could have brought him back and then done the same thing with Flowers in 2014. That would have sucked.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
The Sox completely mismanaged their catching situation over the past year. They absolutely butchered it, and they deserve every ounce of criticism they get.

First of all, Flowers sucks. Even an amateur like me knew before the season started he was going to be a complete disaster as an everyday player. He is not nearly as good a defender as the Sox claim he is, and he's horse**** at the plate. He did not "just need more at-bats," as so many said. His approach is awful, and the results reflected that.

On top of that, he was less than 100 percent coming into the season, and the Sox obviously knew that. They still chose to go into the year with him and a career minor-leaguer (Gimenez) as their "big-league" catching combo. Even a blind man could see this was going to be a complete fail.

Pretty much mirrors my feelings 100%. I did not feel comfortable at all going into the season with Flowers as the starter. I wanted them to bring AJ back, but I at least thought they should have brought in a more experienced vet to back up Flowers and take over once he started sucking.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

And we said it last December, too...

Quote:
Now ’05 is over – it’s seven years gone,
And now the decisions are made by Rick Hahn.
He likes Tyler Flowers and so do the scouts;
They’re oh so impressed by his many strikeouts.
A.J. was a grinder; the kind of a guy
Who actually hit when a fastball came by.
Pierzynski was more than a sentimental favorite -- he was a hell of a ballplayer. He'll never make the Hall of Fame but I've no doubt in my mind that an obstreperous guy like him is a difference-maker. There's absolutely no comparison between Flowers and Pierzynski, except as polar opposites.

Would A.J. have prevented this year's defensive meltdown? I don't know. But I do know he would've been much better in place of Flowers.

Last edited by voodoochile; 09-04-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post

And we said it last December, too...

Quote:
Now ’05 is over – it’s seven years gone,
And now the decisions are made by Rick Hahn.
He likes Tyler Flowers and so do the scouts;
They’re oh so impressed by his many strikeouts.
A.J. was a grinder; the kind of a guy
Who actually hit when a fastball came by.
Pierzynski was more than a sentimental favorite -- he was a hell of a ballplayer. He'll never make the Hall of Fame but I've no doubt in my mind that an obstreperous guy like him is a difference-maker. There's absolutely no comparison between Flowers and Pierzynski, except as polar opposites.

Would A.J. have prevented this year's defensive meltdown? I don't know. But I do know he would've been much better in place of Flowers.
I had to look that one up in the dictionary. Great vocabulary!

Last edited by voodoochile; 09-04-2013 at 11:27 PM.