White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
WSI Guru

Default *Official* 9/4 Yankees d. Charlotte Postgamer

Fun game to watch with all the new kids.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Default *Official* 0 For East Coast 9/4 Postgamer

Sox now 56-82, but some promising looks at the September call-ups. Johnson didn't have it tonight, but 3 earned over six isn't too bad.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM
WSI Prelate

As a Sox fan, can't ask for more.

Keep playing the young guys and screw the results.

I appreciate management taking this approach.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI Guru

Semien reminds me a bit of a righthanded Lance Johnson.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Semien reminds me a bit of a righthanded Lance Johnson.
Agreed about 1 dog. The facial features and facial hair do resemble him.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Agreed about 1 dog. The facial features and facial hair do resemble him.
His stance is a lot like 1Dog though. He looks like 1Dog from the right side in the batter's box.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Getting mugged in New York. Nothing new
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was at the game, my first ever at Yankees Stadium, so it was fun to see a bunch of guys make their major league debut. Can't complain too much, since the young guys were respectable and the old guys showed why they need to be moved in the off season (I'm looking at you De Aza).

The New York crowd was tough. Robertson has given up like 1 run in 28 appearances since June, and after getting hit they boo him off the mound.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI Personality

It was worth tuning in to see Purcey brought in to face A-Roid and strike him out. A MasterCard moment if there ever was one.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Sox now 56-82, but some promising looks at the September call-ups. Johnson didn't have it tonight, but 3 earned over six isn't too bad.
Pretty much what I expected from him jumping into the big leagues against a hot Yankees team. I look forward to seeing what he does in his remaining September starts.

I think he has a promising future with the Sox, but I also think those fans who are practically penciling him in as part of our pitching rotation at the start of next year might be jumping the gun a bit.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

I know it's Rivera, and he's a legend, and he's retiring, etc., but seriously, he gets some ridiculous calls on his "back door" cutter that doesn't actually come anywhere close to getting in through the back door. Two nights in a row now he's gotten some calls that were quite far off the corner of the plate with that stupid pitch.

The last pitch of DeAza's strikeout in the 8th was bad, as were the third strikes in the two strikeouts in the 9th on Tuesday.

Last night:

Tuesday:

Makes it a lot easier to pitch when you can throw it 6 inches off the plate for an automatic strike.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Remember when...

Pods got punched in the face by the Yankee fan?

Seriously, keep playing the kids.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Pretty much what I expected from him jumping into the big leagues against a hot Yankees team. I look forward to seeing what he does in his remaining September starts.

I think he has a promising future with the Sox, but I also think those fans who are practically penciling him in as part of our pitching rotation at the start of next year might be jumping the gun a bit.
Yeah, I thought Johnson actually pitched pretty well, that one bad inning he had, the Yankees 4-run 4th was set up by his own error (though, is Pleasac is correct that that is a thing Johnson struggles at, he will have to improve fielding his position) and then a few softly hit balls that just found the right spot. What can you do?

That one pitch though where he sawed off Ichiro was really nice. Tight and tailing in on the hands, he absolutely destroyed him. Unfortunately, that was the play that underthrew to 1st and really started the unraveling of that inning.

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson starts the 2014 season in AAA but he has success early on then he will probably need to be promoted to the Majors. I don't anticipate the 2014 team will be very serious contenders and if there's nothing left for him to learn in the minors, it's time to learn on the job. Although, I am also in the camp that is still not 100% convinced that Andre Reinzo and Hector Santiago should stick in the starting rotation in the Majors.

Semien had a nice debut, as well. MLB Network says it's the first multi-hit MLB debut for a Sox player since Danny Richar in 2007. Yowzers.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, I thought Johnson actually pitched pretty well, that one bad inning he had, the Yankees 4-run 4th was set up by his own error (though, is Pleasac is correct that that is a thing Johnson struggles at, he will have to improve fielding his position) and then a few softly hit balls that just found the right spot. What can you do?

That one pitch though where he sawed off Ichiro was really nice. Tight and tailing in on the hands, he absolutely destroyed him. Unfortunately, that was the play that underthrew to 1st and really started the unraveling of that inning.
I agree, he did a solid job all things considered. Another factor to consider is nerves. It's tough to evaluate a guy making his MLB debut. Especially when you consider he was making his debut at Yankee Stadium and facing the likes of Derek Jeter, Ichiro Suzuki, Robinson Cano, etc. Players he likely watched on TV growing up. Players in their debut have extra adrenaline and butterflies that probably make them perform differently than they normally do. We will have to see how he responds in his next few starts now that he is officially in "the show".
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Rivera is allowed an extra 6 inches on the outside corner because he is the greatest ever?

BS!!

DeAza had no chance on that last strike. And even Hawk says its is fine because it is Mo.
Bullcrap!

This really hurts the credibility of the game.
Does he get that pitch in the playoffs also?

Pisses me off. Sox had a great rally going, and were about to get to Mo for the second time in a month and the ump rescues him.

Semien had a good start.
Avy Garcia was good as usual.

I thought the youngster on the mound seemed very nervous.
Give him some starts and see if he can be ready next year.