White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I don't think one should judge a signing by what a team eventually got in a dump trade.
First of all, it wasn't a dump trade. Had the Sox thrown in a bunch of money in order to trade him or taken a C+ prospect in return instead of Avisail Garcia, calling it a dump trade would have been accurate - but that's not what happened.

Second, when the Sox extended Peavy, the general consensus was that the deal was team-friendly because (i) it didn't include a no-trade clause, (ii) it was only a 2-year deal, and (iii) the annual $$ were generally in line with what free agent pitchers of Peavy's caliber were receiving on the open market. I personally wasn't thrilled with the signing because I thought the money should be spent on position players instead, but nothing about the terms of that deal offended me.

The only way to judge a signing is with the benefit of hindsight, and there's no question that the initial assessment of Peavy's deal as being team-friendly proved to be correct. The Sox were able to trade him without picking up any of his salary and received a legitimate, MLB ready prospect in return. I think the only way to judge the wisdom of extending Peavy last summer is with that return in mind.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default It ain't over, 'til it's over - Yogi Berra

"For some reason, people take that as I'm retiring. Is this year hard? Yeah, it's hard," Dunn said. "Has it been one of the harder ones? Yeah, because the expectations that we had in this locker room were so high. To play like we are playing, it's a huge letdown. I don't know where that comes into that I'm retiring."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...eview&c_id=cws
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
"For some reason, people take that as I'm retiring. Is this year hard? Yeah, it's hard," Dunn said. "Has it been one of the harder ones? Yeah, because the expectations that we had in this locker room were so high. To play like we are playing, it's a huge letdown. I don't know where that comes into that I'm retiring."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...eview&c_id=cws

As we all thought, end of discussion, he thought about the 15 million reasons why he will be back next year.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 AM
WSI Personality

Default Adam Done

I went to the game Friday afternoon against the Indians. It was another bad performance by the White Sox hitters. Dunn struck out 3 times leaving 8 runners on base. After he struck out the third time most of the fans started booing him. I was surprised at the reaction of the fans. It didn't upset me one bit after he kept striking out. I'm use to it. Anytime he gets a hit, I'm surprised. I've come to expect the worse from him. There might be 15 million reasons why he will be back next year, but I'm still hoping the White Sox organization gets beyond the money thing. Dunn has flopped here for 3 years. 2014 will be a new season. I'm hoping Dunn will not be part of the 2014 White Sox. I like to think the 2014 White Sox will be going in another direction in 2014. Hopefully Dunn won't be part of that new direction.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 PM
WSI Regular

This article is titled "Dunn: Another wasted season", but should say "Dunn: Another wasted $15 million". I think it misses the point. With Dunn on your team you generally don't make the playoffs unless other players are good enough to carry his weight for him:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6201299.story
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1965 View Post
With Dunn on your team you generally don't make the playoffs unless other players are good enough to carry his weight for him
Yes, it's his fault that his career has been spent on teams with no one around him.

Hey, Luis Sojo must be a playoff key. Look at all those Yankees years!

Only at WSI do posters force me to defend an underachieving player.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Yes, it's his fault that his career has been spent on teams with no one around him.

Hey, Luis Sojo must be a playoff key. Look at all those Yankees years!

Only at WSI do posters force me to defend an underachieving player.
Sorry, was too harsh in my comment. I believe the article had an honest remark and hope for the best for AD next year.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Dunn is the prime reason we missed the playoffs last year.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Dunn is the prime reason we missed the playoffs last year.
Elaborate.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform ó and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1965 View Post
Sorry, was too harsh in my comment. I believe the article had an honest remark and hope for the best for AD next year.
The Chicago White Sox currently have 1...yes 1.. player with over 20 homers (and over 30 homers)... Adam Dunn

The Chicago White Sox currently have 1...yes 1.. player with over 60 Rbis (and over 70 and 80 RBIs)... Adam Dunn

The Chicago White Sox currently have 1...yes 1.. player with an OPS over .750 ... Adam Dunn

Tell me again how this year is Adam Dunn's fault? How is the blame not being aimed at PK? I love Paulie to death, but he has been by far one of the worst statistical 1b in baseball this year.

Adam Dunn was one of only a couple players who pulled their weight offensively this year.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The Chicago White Sox currently have 1...yes 1.. player with over 20 homers (and over 30 homers)... Adam Dunn

The Chicago White Sox currently have 1...yes 1.. player with over 60 Rbis (and over 70 and 80 RBIs)... Adam Dunn

The Chicago White Sox currently have 1...yes 1.. player with an OPS over .750 ... Adam Dunn

Tell me again how this year is Adam Dunn's fault? How is the blame not being aimed at PK? I love Paulie to death, but he has been by far one of the worst statistical 1b in baseball this year.

Adam Dunn was one of only a couple players who pulled their weight offensively this year.
Kind of a "tallest midget type dynamic".

For Dunn's salary level and compared to other regular 1Bs and DHs- he's been mediocre- 12th among AL 1st basemen in OPS for example-

PK's age and injuries has me assess him differently- and he's never hit below .200 for a full major league season
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Current White Sox career numbers for Dunn: .197 .317 .403 .720
Comparatively, these are the numbers Jermaine Dye posted the season before he was blackballed from the league: .250 .340 .453 .793
21 First baseman have a higher OPS this season than Adam Dunn.

Great to see our clubhouse leader whining about a wasted season. Go get em' next year Adam. Can't wait to see all those homeruns you'll have saved up from your lack of trying this year.

Last edited by balke; 09-18-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
What was so wrong with the 2011 team? I mean besides a DH hitting 11 HRs with the second lowest BA in history?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Current White Sox career numbers for Dunn: .197 .317 .403 .720
Comparatively, these are the numbers Jermaine Dye posted the season before he was blackballed from the league: .250 .340 .453 .793
21 First baseman have a higher OPS this season than Adam Dunn.

Great to see our clubhouse leader whining about a wasted season. Go get em' next year Adam. Can't wait to see all those homeruns you'll have saved up from your lack of trying this year.
Well, to be a bit more clear, Dye hit .173/.293/.297 after the all star break in 2009 with 7 homers and 26 RBI in 60 games, and that's what scared people away (plus his demands for a major league guaranteed contract if I remember right). He hit great in the first half (.946 OPS) which made his overall numbers at least respectable. But he looked like a totally different player in the 2nd half for some reason. Still surprised he never got another shot with somebody considering it was really only 2 months of playing bad immediately following 3+ months of hitting great.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
What was so wrong with the 2011 team? I mean besides a DH hitting 11 HRs with the second lowest BA in history?
Link

Beckham, Morel, Pierre, Teahen, Vizquel, and Peavy were what was wrong with that team in addition to Dunn, regardless whether Dunn was easily the worst player.

It's not like they missed the playoffs by a few games. Come on, now.