White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Jose Fernandez Shut Down

The Marlins shut him down, so learned folks of the board, is he just a wimp or does management know he's injured, because those seem to be the only two possibilities?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

They put a cap on him at the start of the season. I think he went over the cap too. He really had a heck of a year though. It could arguably be the best season by a rookie pitcher. I really can't think of any other rookie pitchers who had a better season. Alexander, Seaver, Fidrych, Gooden, Nomo or Valenzuela?? if you go by era plus Fernandez has them all beat and it's not even close.

Last edited by chicagowhitesox1; 09-12-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Fernandez also drew some "interest" from the Braves who weren't thrilled with his admiration of his home run in Wednesday night's game. Brian McCann and Chris Johnson had some words with Fernandez at the plate.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Banned

He's probably going to be the best pitcher in baseball for the next half decade. Is this Marlins season worth throwing him a few extra starts? It's his first year with this many innings. Let him rest.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Fernandez also drew some "interest" from the Braves who weren't thrilled with his admiration of his home run in Wednesday night's game. Brian McCann and Chris Johnson had some words with Fernandez at the plate.
I was kinda surprised he did that, he seems like a really good kid. He did apologize, although i'm sure he was forced to apologize by coaches or agent.

I really was big on Puig for rookie of the year but now I really think Fernandez deserves it.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
He's probably going to be the best pitcher in baseball for the next half decade. Is this Marlins season worth throwing him a few extra starts? It's his first year with this many innings. Let him rest.

I don't get this new trend of shutting down pitchers but i'm not a doctor or a scout either. I just don't see how this will help him, i personally feel shutting these guys down will only hurt them.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I don't get this new trend of shutting down pitchers but i'm not a doctor or a scout either. I just don't see how this will help him, i personally feel shutting these guys down will only hurt them.
Missing three starts will hurt how?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I was kinda surprised he did that, he seems like a really good kid. He did apologize, although i'm sure he was forced to apologize by coaches or agent.

I really was big on Puig for rookie of the year but now I really think Fernandez deserves it.
Eh, he's what? 21 years old? And he just hit his first MLB homer. Boys will be boys. Frankly, I get what McCann and the Braves were maybe trying to say to him... Don't be a dick or you'll wind up with a fastball in your ear, but there's more mature ways to handle it than by confronting the kid at home plate when he finishes his HR trot. Frankly, they were more out of line, IMO.

Quote:
It's only a couple of starts and for all the jokes about how pathetic the Marlins are, they have had a knack for developing young players so if they think Jose Fernandez can afford to miss the last 2 1/2 weeks of the season, that's they're thing. I don't necessarily mind bringing guys along slowly in their first year or so in the Majors, pitching itself is inherently dangerous and most young pitchers do not know how to pace themselves appropriately for a full 162-game season until they have done it.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
Missing three starts will hurt how?
I'm not just talking about Fernandez, i'm talking about how all young pitchers are treated like baby's. I just feel this trend will someday be looked down upon.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm not just talking about Fernandez, i'm talking about how all young pitchers are treated like baby's. I just feel this trend will someday be looked down upon.
Maybe. I don't think it's an issue at all in this case. It's three starts for a team that's going to finish with the second worst record in baseball. It's not going to hurt him.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Eh, he's what? 21 years old? And he just hit his first MLB homer. Boys will be boys. Frankly, I get what McCann and the Braves were maybe trying to say to him... Don't be a dick or you'll wind up with a fastball in your ear, but there's more mature ways to handle it than by confronting the kid at home plate when he finishes his HR trot. Frankly, they were more out of line, IMO.

It's only a couple of starts and for all the jokes about how pathetic the Marlins are, they have had a knack for developing young players so if they think Jose Fernandez can afford to miss the last 2 1/2 weeks of the season, that's they're thing. I don't necessarily mind bringing guys along slowly in their first year or so in the Majors, pitching itself is inherently dangerous and most young pitchers do not know how to pace themselves appropriately for a full 162-game season until they have done it.
I was just surprised that he showed up the pitcher after he hit the homerun. A 21 year old knows that's not a good thing to do in the majors. I can't say the Marlins are wrong for shutting him down either but I think building up confidence and arm strength is more important than thinking that missing 3 starts will somehow save his arm for future seasons.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
Maybe. I don't think it's an issue at all in this case. It's three starts for a team that's going to finish with the second worst record in baseball. It's not going to hurt him.
That's true, I guess it's better to be safe. the coaches know more than me obviously. It's just strange that pitchers born in the 1940's or 1950's like Seaver, Carlton, Ryan, Sutton and so on pitched a lot of innings and it didn't hurt them but nowdays it's looked down upon to pitch so many innings. Maybe the conditions back then were easier, I just don't get it.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
This isn't coming from doctors, not mainstream doctors anyway. Pitching 20 innings less in your rookie season isn't going to make you a stronger pitcher than you otherwise would be in the future and may deprive you of some needed experiences as a major league pitcher. What it does do is assure you won't take a line drive in the head or knee or tear up your ankle covering first, just as a star player would be taken out of a blowout game as a precaution.

Even Strasburg being shut down last year was counter to mainstream medical opinion. If fans will buy into that, when it cost the Nationals a chance at a World Series run, shutting down a rookie pitcher isn't going to alienate the fanbase of a last-place team. What surprises me is that baseball fans have bought in to the concept that shutting down pitchers helps their development.

Shutting down and otherwise limiting pitchers can put strain on the rest of the staff, but that doesn't seem to be a concern with the Marlins in September. But this is more about promoting next year's team than it is about developing a young pitcher.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM
WSI Personality

As a fantasy dynasty owner of Jose F, I say rest him.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPditka View Post
As a fantasy dynasty owner of Jose F, I say rest him.
I don't really know how dynasty works but you must be out of the playoffs if you wish that. I deff need him in my money league.