White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 AM
WSI Regular

[QUOTE=

They also failed to trade Kevin Gregg for anything, which might be the worst non-deal of the season.[/QUOTE]
Well Boston did not need relief help so he was kind of screwed.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Want to see a Cub fan's head explode? Show him/her Rizzo's 2013 hitting stats and Adam Dunn's 2013 hitting stats without their names attached. Ask which one is Rizzo and which one is Dunn......he he.
Yeah, but attach their salaries and age and it will become apparent who you would want.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Yeah, but attach their salaries and age and it will become apparent who you would want.
The Sox owe Dunn 1 more year at 15 million. The Cubbies owe Rizzo 29 million + over the next the next 6 years. If Rizzo doesn't not turn it around the Cubbies won't be too happy paying Rizzo thru 2019.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
I went to Wrigley last Tuesday...

Blasphemer!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post

Blasphemer!!!

Thats great!!! Now are any of you here women..
Old 09-13-2013, 07:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post
I had to rewind and pause the video a couple of times because I could not believe what I was seeing. As he rounded third, the camera shot was looking from the upper deck first base side towards the third base side, and I could see almost the whole upper and lower deck on that side.
There was one a couple weeks ago, that ran into extras. It looked like there weren't any more than about 5000 people left. Everyone must've gone to the bars.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post

Blasphemer!!!

Stop doing the wave! What the hell is wrong with you people?!?! Pay attention to the game!!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Want to see a Cub fan's head explode? Show him/her Rizzo's 2013 hitting stats and Adam Dunn's 2013 hitting stats without their names attached. Ask which one is Rizzo and which one is Dunn......he he.
Dump, I am usually all in for a good Cub-bashing, but I think this comparison is a stretch. They have a few stats that are similar - Avg, RBI, HRs -, until you get to the strikeouts. Those soul-sucking, rally-killing, totally unproductive strikeouts. Dunn has struck out 61 more times with 55 fewer ABs than Rizzo. Dunn's SO/AB ratio is 35.6% compared to Rizzo's 20.9%. Put this another way, if Dunn had the same number of ABs as Rizzo with the same SO/AB ratio, he'd have 195 strikeouts, 80 more than Rizzo. Feel free to refine these stats for BBs, HBPs, etc, but I would wager the results will still be the same. Dunn strikes out WAY more than Rizzo, with all else being fairly comparable.

The one thing I would poke the Cubs for is locking their guy up for the long term when they still had Rizzo under control for 4 or 5 years. Yes, they are on the hook for a lot more over the next several years as opposed to the Sox having Dunn for $14M for the 2014 season. But I would rather have Rizzo's upside than the almost three years we have seen of Dunn.

SMO
Old 09-14-2013, 01:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
Dump, I am usually all in for a good Cub-bashing, but I think this comparison is a stretch. They have a few stats that are similar - Avg, RBI, HRs -, until you get to the strikeouts. Those soul-sucking, rally-killing, totally unproductive strikeouts. Dunn has struck out 61 more times with 55 fewer ABs than Rizzo. Dunn's SO/AB ratio is 35.6% compared to Rizzo's 20.9%. Put this another way, if Dunn had the same number of ABs as Rizzo with the same SO/AB ratio, he'd have 195 strikeouts, 80 more than Rizzo. Feel free to refine these stats for BBs, HBPs, etc, but I would wager the results will still be the same. Dunn strikes out WAY more than Rizzo, with all else being fairly comparable.

The one thing I would poke the Cubs for is locking their guy up for the long term when they still had Rizzo under control for 4 or 5 years. Yes, they are on the hook for a lot more over the next several years as opposed to the Sox having Dunn for $14M for the 2014 season. But I would rather have Rizzo's upside than the almost three years we have seen of Dunn.

SMO
I have been waiting for a few years for the peripheral stat fans to see how damaging strikeouts are to an offense and come up with an OPS thing that adjusts for strikeouts, subtracting a strikeout percentage from the combined percentages. Maybe it's already being calculated somewhere, but all I hear from stats people I talk to is that strikeouts are irrelevant.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I have been waiting for a few years for the peripheral stat fans to see how damaging strikeouts are to an offense and come up with an OPS thing that adjusts for strikeouts, subtracting a strikeout percentage from the combined percentages. Maybe it's already being calculated somewhere, but all I hear from stats people I talk to is that strikeouts are irrelevant.
TDog: You lost me. A strikeout is no more damaging than any other out that counts against a batter. I think the only time an "out" can be productive is when an error occurs. That would be an AB considered an out but is positive for the offense. So a foul out is just as bad as a strikeout. Now if the batter tags up on a foulout, it is a sacrifice and not considered an AB. But the majority of strikeouts are just as bad as a regular out so treating strikouts different would be misleading.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
TDog: You lost me. A strikeout is no more damaging than any other out that counts against a batter. I think the only time an "out" can be productive is when an error occurs. That would be an AB considered an out but is positive for the offense. So a foul out is just as bad as a strikeout. Now if the batter tags up on a foulout, it is a sacrifice and not considered an AB. But the majority of strikeouts are just as bad as a regular out so treating strikouts different would be misleading.
I agree with TDog, with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs a ground ball out might get the guy home where a strikeout gets nothing.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I agree with TDog, with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs a ground ball out might get the guy home where a strikeout gets nothing.

Nell: But the batter gets credit for an RBI in that case. The question is should a strikeout be counted different than a ground out with no one on base. I say no.

Last edited by SCCWS; 09-15-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Nell: But the batter gets credit for an RBI in that case. The question is should a strikeout be counted different than a ground out with no one on base. I sat no.
Only the hitter feeling a little bit better about himself.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
...The one thing I would poke the Cubs for is locking their guy up for the long term when they still had Rizzo under control for 4 or 5 years. Yes, they are on the hook for a lot more over the next several years as opposed to the Sox having Dunn for $14M for the 2014 season. But I would rather have Rizzo's upside than the almost three years we have seen of Dunn.
I doubt many Sox fans are happy with Dunn's production with the Sox. Dunn though was paid on the basis of what he had already achieved at the ML level. Rizzo has potential upside but unless he lives up to that potential the length of this contract will be the major hurt.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post

They also failed to trade Kevin Gregg for anything, which might be the worst non-deal of the season.
Really, though, how were they supposed to get anything for Gregg? That's like saying we didn't trade Lindstrom for anything.