White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Default 30 Years Ago Today - Sox Clinch AL West Title

Sept. 17, 1983 - the White Sox win their first division title. The team would go on to win the division by a then-record 20 games and finish the season 99-63.

Oh what might have been if they could only have beaten the Orioles in the best-of-five ALCS. Aside from 2005, I thought that '83 team had the best chance of winning the WS of any Sox playoff team.

People under age 35 might not appreciate how much of a big deal this was back then. It's not like today where making the playoffs is more common place thanks to 3-divisions + wild card. The Sox clinching the AL West was celebrated as if the Sox had won the pennant. It was first time either Chicago team made the post season since 1959. The game was telecast on Ch. 32, but Ch. 2, 5, and 7 cut in and were all allowed to show the final inning in its entirety.

Interesting to see all the fans running on to the field after the win. You used to see that all the time in the 70s and early 80s after a team clinched. MLB hasn't allowed that in years.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Would have loved to see the clip of the classy new owner calling an ex announcer scum during a celebration after finally making the post season since 59.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

This was such a huge deal. At the time--as luck would have it--I was living in the DC area going to grad school surrounded by Oriole fans, with no access to cable TV in a grad apartment complex, and following the pennant race via the Washington Post. I do remember that night, however, holed up in our bedroom listening to the final couple of innings through a weak, static-filled signal from WMAQ. I went nuts when they won the game!

The playoff loss to Baltimore, however was crushing. Then we had such high hopes for '84 but, of course, that team went into the dumper after the All-Star Break just after they looked like they had gotten rolling again. Thankfully, we only had to wait a mere ten years between playoff appearances...

Thanks for bringing back this memory!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM
WSI Personality

image.jpg

Proudly hanging in my garage!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

That team was almost as fun to watch as the Hitmen.

Gawd, I hate the Orioles.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

I was there in the upper deck down the right-field line. IIRC, there was a substantial fire in some buildings to the south of Sox Park.

It also was an employee night for the company for which my Dad worked. They did a raffle and he won an authentic autographed baseball signed by the '83 Sox that he gave to me.

Still have the ball and happily still have the fellow Sox fan who gave it to me around as well.

I also remember buying a "Winnin' Ugly" t-shirt at one of the stands. Good memories of that night.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I was there. I was 10 years old, and it was the second year of what became somewhat of an annual tradition to go to a Sox game for my father's birthday, which is also today. He bought tickets in April to take me to the game long before we had any idea that they would win the division. I remember the fans on the field, but we didn't get to do it as we had upper deck seats. We stayed awhile after the game to watch the celebration and listened to the post-game show on the drive home. We ended up getting home around 1 or 2 in the morning since we lived about a hundred miles west of Chicago. I remember being pretty excited for the fireworks after Harold's HR. In 1982 we went to a night double header against the A's, but there were no HRs, so I really wanted to see the fireworks.

He bought tickets in 1984 hoping to predict what day they would clinch it again. That game wasn't nearly as fun.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
I was there in the upper deck down the right-field line. IIRC, there was a substantial fire in some buildings to the south of Sox Park.

It also was an employee night for the company for which my Dad worked. They did a raffle and he won an authentic autographed baseball signed by the '83 Sox that he gave to me.

Still have the ball and happily still have the fellow Sox fan who gave it to me around as well.

I also remember buying a "Winnin' Ugly" t-shirt at one of the stands. Good memories of that night.
I used to have an autographed ball that we got that night as well. We got it at the souvenir store, so I'm guessing it was fake, but I kept it on my dresser forever. My dad got the Winnin' Ugly shirt and had it for probably 15 years after. It was pretty ratty by the time he had to throw it away.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Would have loved to see the clip of the classy new owner calling an ex announcer scum during a celebration after finally making the post season since 59.
Did this really happen, or is it urban legend?

I have plenty of footage on my computer of that night, and it never was said.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

I love that swing Harold put on the ball. Dude knew how to hit, just flipped it out to CF with Cruz on third.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post

Lip previously said that he has the video where JR says this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v....php?p=2878233
Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

[QUOTE=Procol Harum;3082360]This was such a huge deal. At the time--as luck would have it--I was living in the DC area going to grad school surrounded by Oriole fans, with no access to cable TV in a grad apartment complex, and following the pennant race via the Washington Post. I do remember that night, however, holed up in our bedroom listening to the final couple of innings through a weak, static-filled signal from WMAQ. I went nuts when they won the game!

The playoff loss to Baltimore, however was crushing. Then we had such high hopes for '84 but, of course, that team went into the dumper after the All-Star Break just after they looked like they had gotten rolling again. Thankfully, we only had to wait a mere ten years between playoff appearances...

Thanks for bringing back this memory.

Was doing the MAQ thing in Philly as well.. Was all set for a Phillies over the Hill gang vs Sox World Series.. Yes, That series vs O's Junk ball was a real heartbreaker.. After Lamar won game one I was sure they'd win out at home.. Congrats 83 White Sox..You started the rebirth ow winning in Chicago. Funny how it lit a fire under the Cubbies, Bears and Hawks asses after that

BK59
Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post

I remember watching the celebration and that comment stood out vividly to me. It probably started the endearment that I have for this ownership.
Why its not in the footage that is out there, I dont know but it did happen and thanks to Hitmen77 for backing me up.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I remember watching the celebration and that comment stood out vividly to me. It probably started the endearment that I have for this ownership.
Why its not in the footage that is out there, I dont know but it did happen and thanks to Hitmen77 for backing me up.
I also remember it and I was sort of floored when it was said, total lack of class on the part of JR and EE.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-17-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
That team was almost as fun to watch as the Hitmen.

Gawd, I hate the Orioles.
+1

Yes, it was.

I loved that 1983 Sox team and it took me a long time to get over the heartache of seeing them lose to the Orioles.