White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
It's still early, yes, but right now, I'm hoping for Alex Jackson
2014 looks to be a strong draft class, the Sox need to go with the best player available in every round.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM
WSI High Priest

I would have loved Trea Turner in the 6-10 range, but I don't think you take a lead-off guy with pick 3. Yes, the kid has pure 80 speed! But he is not going to hit for power and I don't think in a draft like this you take a guy at 3 who does not have superstar potential.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I would have loved Trea Turner in the 6-10 range, but I don't think you take a lead-off guy with pick 3. Yes, the kid has pure 80 speed! But he is not going to hit for power and I don't think in a draft like this you take a guy at 3 who does not have superstar potential.
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with Turner, good kid, hard worker, a winner, etc. But that screams "safe pick".
Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with Turner, good kid, hard worker, a winner, etc. But that screams "safe pick".
Agreed. To me, there are 3 guys I love, and 1 guy I keep an eye on. Then see who bombs this year and who shoots up the charts...

Carlos Rondon

Tyler Beede

Either of those 2 are fine, presuming no blow ups and they stay healthy. Both those guys are quick to the pros and behind Sale could provide a Verlander/Scherzer caliber 1-2 punch!!!

Offensively, I LOVE SS Jacob Gatewood. The ceiling on this kid, I would not be shocked if he went 1 or 2. He is that good. His power is special. His glove may play at SS, but even if he moves to 3rd, you could be looking at the next David Wright.

I keep an eye on Alex Jackson as well, because a catcher with his skills are rare.

Its early, but this is the right draft to have a high pick and a lot of money!

Lastly, a sleeper to keep an eye on to me is Michael Conforto... I don't know if he gets into the top 3... but this kid, I see a young Magglio Ordonez. Great control of the bat, good power, great eye, serviceable defensively, does not run that great, but he is going to hit. I had hoped he fell to us in round 2. We will have to see, I think he hits his way into round 1.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI Personality

Best relative available.

Seriously, I will scream if the Sox waste another draft pick on the son/daughter/nephew/niece of a Sox employee. From Schueler's daughter to Parent's kid they've all been busts. Complete and utter busts. Remember, three players the Sox drafted after Carey Schueler made the major leagues and one is still playing (Placido Polanco).
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Agreed. To me, there are 3 guys I love, and 1 guy I keep an eye on. Then see who bombs this year and who shoots up the charts...

Carlos Rondon

Tyler Beede

Either of those 2 are fine, presuming no blow ups and they stay healthy. Both those guys are quick to the pros and behind Sale could provide a Verlander/Scherzer caliber 1-2 punch!!!

Offensively, I LOVE SS Jacob Gatewood. The ceiling on this kid, I would not be shocked if he went 1 or 2. He is that good. His power is special. His glove may play at SS, but even if he moves to 3rd, you could be looking at the next David Wright.

I keep an eye on Alex Jackson as well, because a catcher with his skills are rare.

Its early, but this is the right draft to have a high pick and a lot of money!

Lastly, a sleeper to keep an eye on to me is Michael Conforto... I don't know if he gets into the top 3... but this kid, I see a young Magglio Ordonez. Great control of the bat, good power, great eye, serviceable defensively, does not run that great, but he is going to hit. I had hoped he fell to us in round 2. We will have to see, I think he hits his way into round 1.
Beede is my guy going into 2014. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the #2 pick after Rondon. Alex Jackson is super as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburaga View Post
Remember, three players the Sox drafted after Carey Schueler made the major leagues and one is still playing (Placido Polanco).
None of those players would have been difference makers with the White Sox. Why hold on to an insignificant fact for 20 years?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburaga View Post
Best relative available.

Seriously, I will scream if the Sox waste another draft pick on the son/daughter/nephew/niece of a Sox employee. From Schueler's daughter to Parent's kid they've all been busts. Complete and utter busts. Remember, three players the Sox drafted after Carey Schueler made the major leagues and one is still playing (Placido Polanco).
OK, dude, the two picks you reference were at least in the mid-30th round if not later. Once you get to that point, it's like trying to throw a dart at a smaller dart while riding a horse from the length of a football field. Every team had 30-something shots at Polanco, too, and they all whiffed, that's the draft.

Also, LOL, if you think the Sox are the only teams that burn a couple of picks on nepotism from time to time. Baseball is one big Good Ol' Boys Club, that's just the way it is. There are so many better things, just baseball-wise, to scream about than a team punting a 36th round draft pick.

The Sox's problems with drafting have been their **** track record in the first couple of rounds, getting all hot and bothered about something that happens in round 15 and on is well, kind of pointless.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
OK, dude, the two picks you reference were at least in the mid-30th round if not later. Once you get to that point, it's like trying to throw a dart at a smaller dart while riding a horse from the length of a football field. Every team had 30-something shots at Polanco, too, and they all whiffed, that's the draft.
Actually it was 1993, so the picks were in the mid 40's.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 PM
WSI High Priest

So is the draft the same as other pro sports and that they would pick 3rd in the 2, 3, 4 etc? And is this a deep draft?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
So is the draft the same as other pro sports and that they would pick 3rd in the 2, 3, 4 etc? And is this a deep draft?
Yes, the only catch is that there are a few compensatory and competitive balance picks after the 1st and 2nd rounds. So instead of the 33rd pick of the 2nd round, we get the 40th. We will pick something like 74th in the 3rd round instead of 63rd.

The 2014 draft is viewed as extremely strong and deep. There will be some serious franchise-type talent at the 3rd pick.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Unless he has some kind of setback next spring, or someone in the top 10 has a stellar 2014 season to bypass him, I can't see Houston taking anyone other than Rondon.

That leaves Miami to pick before the Sox, and there's no telling what they're looking for. If they go BPA, that would be Beede.

Kind of sucks that there's no 5-tool can't miss OF at the top of this draft, like a Byron Buxton. But I'd pick Jackson over Turner at 3 if both are on the board.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I agree he's probably not the third best prospect in the draft, but could you imagine if he and Tim Anderson both develop as elite up the middle players? Power aside, the upside isn't low.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Carlos Rodon. Row Don.

Not Rondon.

Please and thank you.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I agree he's probably not the third best prospect in the draft, but could you imagine if he and Tim Anderson both develop as elite up the middle players? Power aside, the upside isn't low.
That would be awesome of course. I agree he has upside, but I don't know if he has franchise player ability. Needless to say, I will be watching a ton of college ball this spring/summer.