White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
He is from Chicago but had grown up hating the White Sox.
Not true, he said he wished he played for the White Sox before he retired, at least that's what he told me when I got his autograph in 2008.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 PM
WSI Personality

I wouldn't chase Granderson until I checked whether Atlanta would be willing to eat some salary and move B.J. Upton. They still owe him a boatload of money and he's riding the bench.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
I wouldn't chase Granderson until I checked whether Atlanta would be willing to eat some salary and move B.J. Upton. They still owe him a boatload of money and he's riding the bench.
I personally don't want the Sox to start dipping into their very mediocre farm system to acquire stopgap players. Upton's been on a downslide for a while and was absolutely horrific last year (we're talking Adam Dunn bad).

If we're going to add lousy veterans to make the team palatable while the farm system rebuilds, may as well just do it through FA.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Granderson! Upton! More low OBP guys who K a ton. Go, Sox!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Isn't Granderson's career OBP something around .340?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Isn't Granderson's career OBP something around .340?
That it is, but in only one of the last 5 seasons has it been above .330.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Curtis might have some gas left in the tank, but why do we always have to get stars past their prime instead of young studs? In other words, we should be trying to get Curtis Great-Granderson.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
...and let's not forget a couple of guys on the downward side of their career. Granderson will be 33 on opening day.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Do not want Dunn 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yea, maybe a few years ago, but not now .. at his age, he's probably just entering that long downhill slide that will result in more strikeouts, slower bat, defense starts to suffer, and so forth..
Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI Prelate

The Sox have a chance to go through some rebuilding that fans will probably take in the short term. Please do not go back to the half-assed "competing" plan.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
The Sox have a chance to go through some rebuilding that fans will probably take in the short term. Please do not go back to the half-assed "competing" plan.
I disagree, the Sox have the pitching to compete today. Right now. You don't need to build a 95-win juggernaut to get to the postseason, you just need to build a good enough team to claim one of the 5 playoff berths. 1/3 of the league gets to go to the playoffs now.

Second, I don't think people have the appetite for a long rebuilding process. Rarely do these teardowns and rebuilds only take a couple of years. And the Cubs have proven how impatient people get with this, they're surviving alone on the draw of Wrigley Field.

The Sox have more than enough resources to build both a competitive Major League team while adding talent to the farm system.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I disagree, the Sox have the pitching to compete today. Right now. You don't need to build a 95-win juggernaut to get to the postseason, you just need to build a good enough team to claim one of the 5 playoff berths. 1/3 of the league gets to go to the playoffs now.

Second, I don't think people have the appetite for a long rebuilding process. Rarely do these teardowns and rebuilds only take a couple of years. And the Cubs have proven how impatient people get with this, they're surviving alone on the draw of Wrigley Field.

The Sox have more than enough resources to build both a competitive Major League team while adding talent to the farm system.
Maybe they have enough pitching. I agreed with Peavy, without, they are just average. I would rather build a team that has a chance to actually win and do damage vs. the same old same old of 82 win teams that maybe get hot, win 86-87 games, sneak in, and get swept. That is not a very successful season to me.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
I don't see why signing Granderson to a team-friendly deal would have to interfere with the rebuild. I don't think anyone here wants them to sign him to a long-term contract. Hell, if he has a good enough year, and the Sox are out of contention they can trade him for more prospects to maybe accelerate the rebuild.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Maybe they have enough pitching. I agreed with Peavy, without, they are just average. I would rather build a team that has a chance to actually win and do damage vs. the same old same old of 82 win teams that maybe get hot, win 86-87 games, sneak in, and get swept. That is not a very successful season to me.
Well, having Chris Sale can probably avoid a sweep with a middling team, but in general yes. Especially when you consider most playoff juggernauts have multiple guys that have a better than average chance to shut down elite offenses, as well as the elite offenses to boot.