White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 PM
MMXXIII

Default 2014 SoxFest hotel & ticket packages on sale

For those of you interested:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...r_cws&c_id=cws

SoxFest is January 24-26, 2014
Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Should be a laugh riot.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Should be a laugh riot.
Why, because they'll play 2013 video highlights?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 PM
WSI High Priest

As many of you know, I'm a 20-year veteran of this event and I have to say, I'm pretty surprised that the pricing remains the same once again. Nearly $300 for two nights in the hotel, plus an additional $60 per weekend pass (season ticket holder discount) for a team that lost 99 games and has exactly one marketable player (Chris Sale)? The Sox got this one wrong - big time. Since there was such a delay from the Sox with this information, I was hopeful the delay was a result of price tweaking. I guess they didn't get the message over the last several years that this is too expensive for the casual fan, or even some die-hards based on the lack of attendance.

After all of the surveys the Sox have sent out over the course of the last year, they still think it's OK to charge people a young fortune for its fan convention? I just don't get it. They're so out-of-touch with their fan base, it's not even funny. It'll be comical to watch the Sox all but get down on their knees and plead with people to attend this event once December and January roll around.

/end rant
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Last edited by ChiSoxGirl; 10-28-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Amen. I haven't gone for years because the package and pricing have been ridiculous.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

If the take-up on it is terrible, which it almost certainly will be, will they drop prices come December and offer a pity bonus to people that already paid full price?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
As many of you know, I'm a 20-year veteran of this event and I have to say, I'm pretty surprised that the pricing remains the same once again. Nearly $300 for two nights in the hotel, plus an additional $60 per weekend pass (season ticket holder discount) for a team that lost 99 games and has exactly one marketable player (Chris Sale)? The Sox got this one wrong - big time. Since there was such a delay from the Sox with this information, I was hopeful the delay was a result of price tweaking. I guess they didn't get the message over the last several years that this is too expensive for the casual fan, or even some die-hards based on the lack of attendance.

After all of the surveys the Sox have sent out over the course of the last year, they still think it's OK to charge people a young fortune for its fan convention? I just don't get it. They're so out-of-touch with their fan base, it's not even funny. It'll be comical to watch the Sox all but get down on their knees and plead with people to attend this event once December and January roll around.

/end rant
The key question: are you going to vote with your dollars and not go?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:01 PM
WSI Regular

I just wonder what the "premium gift" will be? Perhaps a $350 Conner Gillaspie game-hardly-used bat (Garage sale prices). And before you get started on me, I know it's for charity.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
amen. I haven't gone for years because the package and pricing have been ridiculous.
+1.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Amen. I haven't gone for years because the package and pricing have been ridiculous.
Another +1. Priced me out of the market, sad to say.

SMO
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
Another +1. Priced me out of the market, sad to say.

SMO
It was *so* much better when it was at the Hyatt and one-day passes were the norm - *and* the players would hang at the nice Atrium Bar.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Will Ellsbury, McCann, and Cano be present?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM
WSI Guru

I'll join the chorus of people saying SoxFest is overpriced. It seems like they've really had trouble selling that thing the past couple years, and now they are coming off a historically bad season. You would think that would lead to lower prices for this event, but it has not.

Granted, I would never buy a hotel package. I can't fit it around my work schedule, and I'm not much of an autograph collector anyway. However, I would buy a day pass for Saturday and listen to the seminars and ask questions, if I thought it was reasonably priced. Alas, the cost is higher than what I'm willing to pay for that experience, so I don't go.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post

/end rant
I went for the first time last year. Like most people, I got free tickets from my ticket rep. I think that might be one of the reasons for the high prices, they give out a bunch of passes. If that wasn't well attended last year, I never want to go when it is well attended. The talks were all full on Saturday, especially the 2005 panel. You had to get in line hours before the player was to sign just to wait more to get that autograph. In January they will be selling single day passes like they always do.

I guess I don't see the disconnect that you do. They lowered ticket prices and parking prices to match what the fans asked for in last years survey. What did the fans do to thank them? Averaged about 2,500 people LESS per game. Yes, this was a hard team to watch, but last year they won and people STILL didn't show up. I think it is a mixture of both fans and the team, not just the team not hearing the fans.

As far as the garage sales and whatnot, yeah the price structure is sorta messed up on some items. But you can get some good deals if you get there early and look hard enough. I have two fitted hats that I wear all the time that I picked up at Soxfest last year for $10 each. I also have a shirt that retails over $100 that I got brand new at one of the sales for $50.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

I've never understood the mindset of paying to attend a convention that is a promotional event for the team. They should be paying fans to attend, not the other way around.