White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 05:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I was trying to be an ass, because I thought the original poster was doing the same.
Quit blaming everything on the original poster. Nobody is making you act like a fool. You control your own actions.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 PM
WSI High Priest

I think trades will happen, but I think they are going to be more like the buy-low type of deals we have seen before. I don't think we have the ammo to make a big splash. Besides, we already made a pretty big one with Abreu.
On a side-note, Simon Castro was outrighted to AAA today, so he might be the first one to go. I would like to sign Edward Mujica, unless he gets closer money.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Quit blaming everything on the original poster. Nobody is making you act like a fool. You control your own actions.
I don't feel my actions were unwarranted, nor is it as big a deal as you're making it out to be. You only took it be to serious because it isn't THAT far off of the truth of the situation. But, yes, I was trying to be a little over the top because I thought it was over the top to be called myopic in scope over wanting a defensive veteran to help the team along. That you haven't even looked at that really makes it difficult to believe that I'm not being targeted/overly scrutinized. I had every right to react the way I did, and to have to defend it seems pretty stupid, IMO. The statement wasn't even THAT unreasonable. Some posters defended it!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:14 AM
WSI Personality

A few thoughts on the roster:

1. Red Sox declined option on Matt Thornton. I think he may be all done.

2. I see a lot of comparisons to Red Sox last to first. Red Sox started w a core group of Lester, Buchholz, Pedroia, Ortiz. Middlebrooks showed promise coming off his rookie year. That was pretty much it.

3. They had Lackey and Ellsbury coming back from injuries and both had very solid seasons.

4. They added Gomes, Ross, Carp, Napoli, Dempster, Victorino, Drew and Uehara. Overall that group produced although Gomes despite late season heroics was basically a 4th outfielder.

So the Red Sox overall had a lot of things fall into place. They went into spring training w 2 closers and both ended up on DL for season. But Uehara , who they got as a set-up becomes a dominant closer at 38. Lackey and ellsbury really bounce back from injuries. Middlebrooks tanks but they bring up Inglesias and he hits .320 for 4 months. A guy who hit .250 at AAA for 2 years. Then Buccholz goes down and they trade him for Peavy who filled in as a starter.

So they certainly started w a better core group than the White Sox have but they got solid years from a lot of guys that were not star players.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post

2. I see a lot of comparisons to Red Sox last to first. Red Sox started w a core group of Lester, Buchholz, Pedroia, Ortiz. Middlebrooks showed promise coming off his rookie year. That was pretty much it.

3. They had Lackey and Ellsbury coming back from injuries and both had very solid seasons.

4. They added Gomes, Ross, Carp, Napoli, Dempster, Victorino, Drew and Uehara. Overall that group produced although Gomes despite late season heroics was basically a 4th outfielder.

So the Red Sox overall had a lot of things fall into place. They went into spring training w 2 closers and both ended up on DL for season. But Uehara , who they got as a set-up becomes a dominant closer at 38. Lackey and ellsbury really bounce back from injuries. Middlebrooks tanks but they bring up Inglesias and he hits .320 for 4 months. A guy who hit .250 at AAA for 2 years. Then Buccholz goes down and they trade him for Peavy who filled in as a starter.

So they certainly started w a better core group than the White Sox have but they got solid years from a lot of guys that were not star players.
Yeah, this Red Sox team reminds me a bit of our 2005 squad if anything, not necessarily with the worst to first, but they caught lightning in a bottle and got career years out of a LOT of low risk, ordinary players. Especially in the bullpen. I see it being fairly difficult for them to repeat, even with kids like Bogaerts coming up.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not a huge fan of trading any of our starters that can realistically be expected to be tradeable. If your talking Danks that's another story, but Abreu and Garcia are already a good start to turning the offense around. Why not just sign another bat or two to fill out the lineup? Seems like the Sox have some money laying around for payroll. Get another bat good enough to bump Dunn down to 6th we could have the beginnings of a decent lineup.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post

The Red Sox lineup was built around 4 guys (Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Napoli) capable of winning the MVP and others (like Victorino and Drew) who have been well above average players in their career. When you add the Gomes' and Inglesias' of the world to that roster, it does not have the same effect as when you add them to a roster that was last in runs and walks last year. It's completely the other end of the spectrum.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The Red Sox lineup was built around 4 guys (Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, and Napoli) capable of winning the MVP and others (like Victorino and Drew) who have been well above average players in their career. When you add the Gomes' and Inglesias' of the world to that roster, it does not have the same effect as when you add them to a roster that was last in runs and walks last year. It's completely the other end of the spectrum.
I'll go with that analysis. But when people say the Sox need 7 players, I believe it's implied that they are more along the Drew/Victorino variety v the Gomes/Inglesias. And Victorino and Drew are above average, but not "Well" above average. You can look at St Louis' hitters and that is an OBP machine that is "Well above average" practically cross the board, that we can never come close to matching. Now where 7 Victorinos gets us, I don't know. Unless Garcia and Abreu are all star hitters, we'll still have a long way to go.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I'll go with that analysis. But when people say the Sox need 7 players, I believe it's implied that they are more along the Drew/Victorino variety v the Gomes/Inglesias. And Victorino and Drew are above average, but not "Well" above average. You can look at St Louis' hitters and that is an OBP machine that is "Well above average" practically cross the board, that we can never come close to matching. Now where 7 Victorinos gets us, I don't know. Unless Garcia and Abreu are all star hitters, we'll still have a long way to go.
I agree on all accounts. I also don't know where 7 Victorinos get us, but I'm not sure it's where we want to be unless, like you said, Garcia and Abreu are all-star hitters. And Victorinos make a LOT of money.