White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default McCutchen & Cabrera Win MVPs

Nice to see McCutchen win the NL MVP award. As for Cabrera winning the AL, that was kind of a foregone conclusion.

Good week for the Pirates with McCutchen and Hurdle being lauded. Great to see the Pirates rewarded for their season.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

What a feather in the cap for Andrew McCutchen and the Pirates! Congrats to he and Cabrera. God only knows what Miggy's final numbers are going to look like if he can remain at or near his current level for 4 or 5 more years.

I am a little surprised at the number of first place votes both of these guys received, though. I thought Molina and Trout would have a better showing.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
Nice to see McCutchen win the NL MVP award. As for Cabrera winning the AL, that was kind of a foregone conclusion.

Good week for the Pirates with McCutchen and Hurdle being lauded. Great to see the Pirates rewarded for their season.
Sort of like the 1972 White Sox with Allen and Tanner being honored after being the second-best team in the league after the A's (although Allen seemed much more a sure thing and McCutchen actually got higher percentage of first-place votes than Allen). Still, the Pirates had been a losing team longer than the White Sox in 1972 had.

I'm a little surprised Trout picked up as many first-place votes as he did considering how much of an impact Cabrera had on season in addition to his dominate numbers.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I'm a little surprised Trout picked up as many first-place votes as he did considering how much of an impact Cabrera had on season in addition to his dominate numbers.
He had 5 of 30. Not exactly a tight race.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

We live in a world where a 22 year old year old has been the best player in baseball for both of his first two seasons (a historically great opening to a career) and hasn't won an MVP.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
He had 5 of 30. Not exactly a tight race.
Understood, but I expected Cabrera to get all but five, with the first-place outliers being split among Trout, Davis, and an A's beat writer voting for Donaldson, whose heroics went unnoticed outside of NoCal, except perhaps by Chris Sale.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:11 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Understood, but I expected Cabrera to get all but five, with the first-place outliers being split among Trout, Davis, and an A's beat writer voting for Donaldson, whose heroics went unnoticed outside of NoCal, except perhaps by Chris Sale.
Donaldson wasn't one of the 3 finalists
Old 11-15-2013, 02:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Donaldson wasn't one of the 3 finalists
I wrote that I expected him to get a first-place vote from an A's beat writer, which apparently he did.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
We live in a world where a 22 year old year old has been the best player in baseball for both of his first two seasons (a historically great opening to a career) and hasn't won an MVP.
How is this relevant? Henry Aaron only won one MVP in 23 seasons, and he was one of the greatest players in the history of baseball. Willie Mays, who may have been the greatest, only won two in 22 seasons, and they came more than a decade apart.

Ted Williams had a better opening to his career than Trout did, following up his first two seasons with a third hitting .406 with an on-base percentage of .553 while leading the league in home runs, and he didn't win the first of his two MVPs for another four years.